Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MD, CD, Post Dilemma

GoetzInd

Hey Guys,

I am debating switching all our machine/control defs, posts, tool libs, and op defaults from local on my computer, to on our server. All our part files are already on the server. This would be a no brainer accept for two things. I do significant programming off-site, and we already have hundreds if not thousands of Mc files that link to my defs, defaults and libs. I do about 90% of the programming here and I don't want to sacrifice being able to program off site conveniently. However, I want people on the floor to be able to pop open a MC file for reference, and posting without getting a million warnings on how it cannot access the defs, defaults and libs. Is there a way to keep a local copy of everything with the mc file? I know it keeps a local MD but how about everything else? I am open to suggestions.

TIA!

Mike

I do significant programming off-site, and we already have hundreds if not thousands of Mc files that link to my defs, defaults and libs.

I would say local.

Keeping the machine, control defs & posts local to the Mcam computer would be the better solution.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, but it can be an exercise in ripping your hair out getting it to work. Some folks have all the shared files located on a server network (everyone pulls from a central location) and it works well. But,....when it goes bad it turns into a major scat storm. Any type of interruption or delay in the network can cause problems, IT folks that decide to reroute addresses,.....

I have personally watched things go from,... :thumbsup::thumbup::yesB):huh::no:blink::realmad::rant::nuke: ...,in 24hr.

We keep all our machine defs/posts and tool libraries on the network.

We also mirror them all to each porgramming computer's C drive.. and keep our backup files on our C drives as well

A couple of weeks ago we suffered a total network failure and the engineering dept

kept working like nothing had happened :whistle:

We keep all our machine defs/posts and tool libraries on the network.

We also mirror them all to each porgramming computer's C drive.. and keep our backup files on our C drives as well

A couple of weeks ago we suffered a total network failure and the engineering dept

kept working like nothing had happened

G, I was thinking about doing that (mirroring). How can it be done without my shop people having to re-point to the server version of everything? That is a little out of there capability...

Mike

Haha I've gotten a taste of it before. I like having them local but how do you handle multiple people/pc's working on files?

Mike

However, I want people on the floor to be able to pop open a MC file for reference, and posting without getting a million warnings on how it cannot access the defs, defaults and libs.

I agree, it would be difficult to keep track of changes made to any of the libraries. We have migrated everything to the Server, no matter where I am, even from home, I can program a part and get the same exact output. Why would your operators be posting files or do you mean you. Anyways is not as bad, besides if you have to make a change it takes nothing but a few clicks to restablish the links to the proper libraries.

I like having them local but how do you handle multiple people/pc's working on files?

I always suggest backing up the files to a server location.

For some people having the shared files up on the server works very well, having a good IT dept and a solid network (one customer had their network "wired" with fiber optic cable,..there were no delays) things like that make all the difference.

However there seems to be a downside associated to this as well,.. For the folks that this method does not work, it ends up being a string of compounding issues. You may as well try to drag a camel through a keyhole. (you could run em through a blender/shredder but that would just make a mess) :blink:

Ok. I've started tinkering with having everything on the server but have run into a few problems. First, when I open up an existing file on another networked computer it cannot access the holder library and it would force me to re-select all the holders (major headache especially b/c Mc is retarded when it comes to holders). Also, it keeps warning me it cannot access Metric ops and default even though they are not used. What all do I need on the server, and is there a way I can point existing files to the new location without a ton of hassle? TIA

Mike

At only 60 bucks looks like a winner.

The more I read Gcodes first post in this thread it looks fool proof. I guess if you have 30 seats it would be the way to go, we get everything off a linux server that has been running flawlessly non stop for over 4 years straight. Rsync is an incredible tool for backing up only what has changed, Samba dishes out to Windows machines as good as windows does, and I run 2 hard drives in raid 1. Total cost for CentOS, Samba, Rsync, Cron and the raid routine... nothing.