Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to best post for different machines?

In the old days of V9 you could pick your post when you post. If I have to post the same operations for multiple machines, what's the best way to do it now? I don't want to have to make a new machine group and copy and regenerate everything. I also don't want to change the machine definition of the group and have to regenerate again, since the posts use different coolant methods.

I don't want to have to make a new machine group and copy and regenerate everything. I also don't want to change the machine definition of the group and have to regenerate again, since the posts use different coolant methods.

Well,.... you really only have two options. :huh:

But you don't want to.

If you can change your post in the post dialog, then your machine/control def wouldn't be setup correctly.

I would post it with the one machine def, then load the other machine def, reset the coolant using edit common parameters and repost.

The options you listed are your best options now unfortunately. You could do it where you make 1 post to handle every machine with tons of post logic to handle it all but I wouldn't want to tackle something like that :)

However you can actually assign more than one post to a Machine Definition. Each post can have it's own Control Definition settings, so you can change post without swapping the entire Machine Def.

The coolant is controlled by the machine def, having more than one post associated to a machine def,.... is not the best of circumstances.

Having more than one machine def that uses the same post works well.

Having more than one machine def that uses the same post works well.

That's what I had been doing, but since D#'s don't respect the machine definition until the tool is reselected that isn't a time efficient or reliable option. I have two Kitamura horizontals (an HX300 and an HX400), which are identical in code requirements except for the D#'s. The 400 take D=T, while the 300 needs D=T+50. I had been posting for the 400 and leaving it to the operator to change D#'s when he runs on the 300, and that worked fine until someone else went to run on the 300 and forgot the D#'s (even though he pulled the program from the 400 folder.) Now I need a solution on my end. Two posts in one machine definition might do it, I've never tried that before.

With these two machines I wouldn't have to worry about the coolant; I was trying to find a general solution that would work for all my machines.

The Dia# values are coming from the control def, those values are loaded into the tool parameter page based on the initial machine/control def that is loaded into the machine group properties when you first start.

I think you could still maintain the single post setup, have the post ask you a question when posting (Which machine HX300 or HX400) then have the tool numbering logic tied to that.

Some folks don't like the pop-up boxes when you hit post (I do use them though!) so I believe you could setup the post to read what machine def you are running and let the post do all the figuring without having a pop-up box. I'm not sure on the logic you need for that though.

Just another option. :)

Matt - check your PM.

A mate runs various cells of machines where they don't call H or D in their progs, or even any retracts at the end of tool. All the tool data (including M9 M19 G28 Z home blah blah) is within the toolchange macro.

So they just call a tool, add coolant and git er done! At the end of the toolpath, they just call T2 (for instance - ie next tool call), and the machine shoots home and changes ttol.

Soooo, in a very long winded round about way, I'm wondering IF each machine could have different toolchange macros where one machine has T=H=D, the other T=H=D+50?

The only thing with changing anything like this at this late stage, is every proven prog will need changing...