Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Whaddya mean they don't intersect?

Mark Lovelace

Out of the blue, today, I am having trouble trimming two arcs to each other. The two obviously intersect, but Mcam keeps saying they don't. They're on the same level, they're on the same plane, and I've checked everything else I can think of, but it still insists that they don't intersect. Any ideas of what I'm missing here?

Good Day,

I have had similar trouble like this...

By chance do the arcs share the same arc center?

You can also extend or close the arcs to see if in fact they overlap, and then break at the intersection point.

HTH

Tony G

Unemployed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle

If you still have the original file analyze each arc - they wil be in diferent views - usually view one and view nine. Combining views now allows Mastercam to see them in the same view. Don't ask why - I don't know.

This usually happens when importing an IGES file from another system. Also mirroring geometry will sometimes get two apparently identical arcs into 2 different views.

Glad it worked.

edit: -PS- do a search on 'combine views' there are several threads that cover more on this.

[ 07-31-2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: BerTau ]

Next time create a line and trim both arc to that and the analze the end points to like 8 places and make aure they are the same. I have seen a difference of .000005 not allow them to intersect. I would also look at the tolerance on my chaning options depending on how you have that set it also can give you some trouble. Good luck

Crazy Millman

As with anything we see it looks the same until we step back and look at from the left or right and then see it is really different at that point

Mastercam won't trim or break what it can't 'see'. By combining views, it now has vision, so to speak.

A line or point by definition has no width. If you draw a vertical line on the side Cplane, for example, switch to let's say isometric or misc. Gview, and attempt to break or trim that line BUT somewhere along the process you switched the Cplane to Top Mastercam cannot 'see' that line - YOU can! your in an M Gview, but MC can't 'see' a vertical line drawn on the side Cplane IF MC is in the Top or 3D Cplane.

Now, you said 'arcs' were having trouble trimming but after screen/next menu/comb views it worked - but you don't know why.

>>>Just as MC can't see a vertical line drawn on the Side Cplane if your in the top Cplane, neither can it 'see' two arcs drawn on 'parallel planes'. Parallel views are those Cplanes that exist in the same two-dimensional plane (XY, XZ, or YZ) but differ by rotation or position. By using the combining views function, MC combines all parallel views [the 2 arcs] to a single view and 'moves' the arcs that were on parallel planes with respect to one another to the single view - so it can recognize both arcs in one view

I've run into this drilling holes in imported solids.

Sometimes I'll import a solid plate with a bunch of holes and create curves on all the edges.

When I window pick all the curves to drill, Mastercam will skip some.

Analizing the curves shows some on view 1 and the skipped ones on view 9.

Its sort of like a normal surface. One side is up and one side is down.

[ 07-31-2003, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: gcode ]

quote:

Analizing the curves shows some on view 1 and the skipped ones on view 9.

Its sort of like a normal surface. One side is up and one side is down.

gcode, that's a nice analogy!

This kind of stuff is weird and can confuse the hell out of someone. It's one of the many 'quirks' that come up in CAD designing.

So now I have the solution, but I still don't understand the problem. I understand all of the points that have been made re; different C-planes and view planes, but when I first encountered this, my first response was to check that both entities were on the same level, C-plane and view plane. When that didn't help, I then redrew both entities, while in the top plane. Still no luck. So then I redrew both arcs in the same plane and at the same z depth, figuring that after trimming I could drop the one to it's correct depth. It still insisted that the two arcs did not intersect.

So I'm still confused, but at least I'm not stuck anymore.

Good Evenin

I think that is why they created "comb views ",

for this problem.

Tony G

Unemployed Senior Programmer

N.E Massachusetts - Southern New Hampshire

End mills and tooling are like The "AMMO"

And coolant and chips are like the enemy

Under your boots as you advance in the

Manufacturing Battle.