Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool presetter recommendation

Zoller was my pick also. I use it to preset all our CNC tooling. Largest cutter is a 50# 12.5 G/L x 4.5dia., smallest is a ER16 - ER11 adapter & everything inbetween milling & turning all on the same Zoller. Should have bought one of these a LONG time ago. Some of the best investments I've ever made in the CNC world were probing in the machine, tool setter in the machine & a presetter. The main reason we went with Zoller was they are a partner with Okuma. If I remember correctly the Zoller & Speroni were actually similar.

We use multiple ways. Currently all measured tool lengths saved as a program, then that is stored in a shared folder on the network & pulled down like any other program(could also use a thumb drive & do the same). Other options were to update the machines offset page at the time the tool is measured - I saw this as a little too dangerous for the way we do things here.

Good topic. What is you process for transfering data between the pre-setter and machine? We currently have an elbocontroli but we have to do this manually. Still a huge time saver though.

Mike

Thanks guys.

We don't have anything right now, but my guess is that we will transfer the data via ethernet if they decide to buy one.

We have two Zoller presetters, and I think they are the best, you can program them to do a tool inspection for chamfers or a radius of tools along with setting., We also use it to set special form mills from theoretical intersection, diameters at the midpoint, or any point of the tools profile. They are very reliable because we set over a 175 tools a shift without any problems.

You can probably do about 99% of what you'd ever dream of, by spending about $12-$15K on a Parlec unit. I spent an hour at the Parlec booth at IMTS, and I was in love. My shop is small, so if I can do what I want with a $15K presetter, instead of a $30K presetter, that's $15K that goes straight into my pocket for hookers and blow. Unfortunately, that same reasoning is the reason we still don't have a new presetter. :lol:

A Zoller can range from 12K to 120K. You get what you pay for. BUT the 15K unit does everything I listed before - I use it everyday. We also have a higher end unit 50k but it still does the same stuff & in the end the #'s to the machine are within .0003 of eachother. EXCEPT for the BigPlus tooling, the hyd rention option is way more accurate.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
...that's $15K that goes straight into my pocket for hookers and blow. Unfortunately, that same reasoning is the reason we still don't have a new presetter. laugh.gif

Missin' teh 80's eh? :p;)

• Like 1