Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operations library

Zoffen

I just started to build up a Operations library and am really loving how you can get good programs in a relativly short amount of time.

How does everyone build there operations library?

I was thinking about having a template with most common toolpaths i use (drilling/tapping/spotting/facing) in it with no speeds/feeds set.

Then i'm wondering if its worth it to make a machine specific operations library with groups of each material? Or just make different libraries with good starting points for each material? or both?

It would be nice to have a file for each machine with PROVEN parameters. Does anyone do it this way?

Thanks for the info!

I have an extensive operations library for all mounting hole (c'bore, tap, dowel) sizes we do, die set pin/bushing sizes, pockets, clearance cuts, keys, etc for each tool (with appropriate step down, step over, lead in/out, etc). Here's a couple screen shots. I import the ops, select the geometry and regen. Done!

opslibrary.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have built libraries also, although I need to convert many from my V9.1 to X6. The only issue I run into from time to time, is that when under pressure to get a program complete, specifically utilizing a horizontal machining center, is resetting all of the imported planes to match the existing machining view(s). Without doubt its faster, but caution must be exercised not to skip over parameter(s) specifics prior to posting.

Here's how I did mine.

Open MC. Create 3 drilling operations, one to spot (make it deep enough to chamfer the hole ;) ), one to drill and one to tap for 1/4 taps. Since we do a lot of holes that reside on different Z levels, I use all incremntal. In other words, I don't care what Z level you're at, spot .09 deep, drill 1.0 deep and tap .7 deep from wherever you're at. Don't associate any geometry to these operations, just set the machining parameters. Once everything is set the way I want it, I create a new toolpath group and copy those toolpaths to it. Then I change everything for a 5/16 tap. Then repeat for a 1/2 tap...ream....counterbore....pocket...whatever you want in your library. When you're done save the file. Of course, save as you go, just in case. ;) Once you're all done, save the file and close MC. Now go to Windows Explorer, browse to the MC file that you just saved and rename it to "whatever.operations-6", or whatever the correct extension is what the version of MC that you're running. The cool thing is, an ops library is just a MC file with a different extension. I find it easier when I have major changes to make to change it to a .mc6 file to edit it in MC, rather than deal with the smaller window, etc when editing the operations-6 file.

Here's another thing that you can do to increase efficiency. Say for example that I've already imported a .750 dia contour toolpath into my MC file. Now I need to use a .750 dia to helix out a hole. Rather than import a new .750 contour-ramp op, I'll just copy my contour toolpath and use that. It already has the clearance plane set and possibly the top of stock too. When I switch over to make it a contour-ramp, i want the step down to already be set. I want it to already say "make final pass at finish depth," etc. In order for all of this to work with minimal interation from me, I save the operation like that in the first place. I'll open my .750 contour toolpath, click on the ramp button and put all the settings the way I want them. Then I'll click on the remachine button and put all the settings the way I want them. Now, I'll uncheck all of those boxes and make it a plain old contour toolpath again and that's how it's saved in my library. Now if I ever copy an existing toolpath and change it to ramp or remachine, all the settings are already set! Of course I still have a .750 remachine op saved in my library too. That op also has the proper step downs, etc if i change it to contour or contour-ramp.

The settings that you save are going to be the settings that will work the most often. Yes, you're going to have to change things sometime, but if you can get it right the first time 80-90% of the time, that's a huge increase in productivity. On tapping cycles, I add my points and regen. I don't even have to look at the operations. On pockets, I have to pick the start and end depths, select my chains and regen. It all works pretty quick.

Setting this up takes a lot of work up front, but it can really automate things in the long run.

Good luck!

Thad

• Like 1