Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Style of tap ?

Scott Bond

My most logical guess would be that it would have to be supported by your post. One of our machines has the cycle in the machine (cycle definition 209) and the cyle we use is 17 which is fairly close. You could probably modify the post with a custom cycle and away you'd go. Just my best stab in the dark though.

Greg

cheers.gif 45 minutes to $1 beer nite cheers.gif

Well are you doign a thru or a blind. I would think blind but just wondering. If you are doing very hard material look at the EXO-TAP it works greta in harden material up to 55-rc. I also use alot of HY-PRO taps both are made by OSG. If you are doing a blind hole and are worried about getting enough thread I would use a modified bottom sprial flute tap and do it in one shot. It give you chip evuaction and gives u good thread to the bottom of your hole. Good Luck

Crazy Millman

+ All of it. smile.gif

HyPro spiral point is best - bottoming is not very strong.

I usually peck at 1.5~2 threads depending on material type, I believe Chris mentioned just do it straight up with G84 rather than peck tapping.

If you come back to us with a response please state the material and what rpm was used prior to the question - every little bit helps.

Regards, Jack

If your using spiral taps and peck tapping/chip breaking, your probably getting the chip all jammed up in the flutes, thus causing the breakage. Spiral fluted taps pull one long nice continous chip out through the flutes. They are rather "weak" taps from the reduced cross section, and don't take kindly to reverse/foward torque changes. That said, just run em' in one time and you'll be suprised that they do work.

We run about 500 holes in 6061 wrought plate before changing a 6-32 tap. It may go a few hundred more holes for all I know, but I'd rather change the tap than scrap a part...Keep the coolant flowing too. cheers.gif

I have not had the need to peck tap aluminum, but cant say I have any recent memtory of 6D holes either. Most of the peck tapping I have done has been as a last resort in Titanium down to 0-80 3X Deep or so. In our abblications, we were able to use spiral point gun taps with out the need to bottom tap.

Even though the spindle is synchronized, we generally have been using Tension Compression Style Holders.

I tend to lean towards CMR's thinking about the spiral tap (Im assuming we are talking RH Cut / RH Spiral).

My peck cycle in MC is set up to use initial depth which I go as deep as I can safeley, then subsequent pecks which I normally keep around 2P.

In deep tapping (3D+) with small taps (<#8) I run slower than the handbook speed.

[ 08-06-2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: CAMmando ]

Try using a forming tap. No chips, strong body with no flutes to reduce breakage. I have used Balax brand before and had good luck in aluminum. Hole size does become critical though. This is because the metal is moved to form a thread and depending on how much mat'l is left this will directly reflect in the % of thread. I usually throw a healthy chamfer around the hole before forming because it tends to raise the material up in the localized area around the hole. Maybe like a .04 x 45 degrees. For a 6-32 drill size is .124,.125,.126. These sizes are supposed to result in 75%,65%,55% respactively. HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...does mastercam support peck tapping ???if so how...

Yes and you need to make some post modifications.

I think you may be pecking too deep also. As a general rule, I peck around 100% of the Maj. Dia. true it's more pecks but I like to keep things cleared out as much as possible.

JM2C

+10 on the EXO taps, they are almost bullet proof. And for roll taps the 6-32 is probably the BEST candidate since it's minor vs. major percentage is the worst.

If I'm not mistaken some machines require a parameter or callout on the G84 line specifically for peck tapping. I think we used to do that long ago in the old Haas VF3 and had good results but I don't remember which it was. If I was celebrating ANY kind of AA aniversary myself I'd probably be able to pull that out of the pickle jar for you. wink.gif

EDIT: Congratulations Mr. Bond!

[ 08-07-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: A-ron ]

I am a little late on this thread, but form taps in 6061 are definitely the way to go. Also +1 to Quickmike - they do throw up a healthy "burr" going in. I usually run a fast chamfer on the larger tapped holes and a small countersink on the smaller tapped holes to give a "nice" entry.

cheers.gif

ps - I typically only get the bottoming taps and have had no problems with running 6-32 taps in as far as .75 deep in one pass. I also change mine out at about 500 holes - it really bites to have a tap break on the last op after an hours or two of work.

[ 08-07-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: MetalMarvels ]