Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Deep undercuts - tools to use?

Newbeeee™

Hi All,

Customer just talking about adding undercuts to an existing part to reduce the weight.

It's 6082-T6 (very similar to 6061). We're trying to get them to do the weight reduction on the outside, but this will affect the form/fit/function, so they want it on the inside.

Best way to describe the part is it is an electronic enclosure, with lugs stuck out from the inside walls. These are mostly on corners, so are stuck out with an underneath radius (if this makes sense?).

The worse undercut detail on the part is radius 12.5mm (0.492"), with a radial/undercut cut depth of 6.6mm (0.260"). The length/depth of the tool (stickout) will need to be 70mm (2.756").

So picture (size for size) a tee cutter that's 25mm dia (0.984") head, with a 11.8mm (0.464") dia shank. This obviously is size for size and doesn't give any room for tool movement (ie feed straight in and straight back out to produce the dims).

Me thinking a tricky little number this, and will be talking to PH Horn in the morn to see what they have that could be modified (as I can't see anything off the shelf).

Anyone got any thoughts on this? I'm thinking carbide shank, 3mm max (.118") thickness cutting width (maybe even narrower), and a shank dia of 10mm (.394") to allow a little bit of tool movement. So that's 7D deep with say a 24mm dia (.984") head then... :wacko:

Cheers

Thanks for the replies - just got back from buying another Chevalier VMC. So an expensive day today...

Attached is a piccy which hopefully makes it a little clearer. The two areas 'blacked' are the undercuts, which have the 12.5mm radius (and undercut by 6.6mm).

I spoke with PH Horn today - they are looking into modifying the shank and head of an existing tool. Won't be cheap but at least it's replaceable heads.

When asked if it *should* work ok, I got a 'urr, ummm' type reply with a bit of a look!

Cheers

post-16211-0-69462200-1346188112_thumb.jpg

Fishy,

Thanks for the heads-up. I have never heard of Simtek before - have you used them?

I can't see a sigma line but I'm asuming the below is the company?

Cheers

http://www.simtek.eu...ex_english.html

Yip thats them. Used them heaps. Very good product, have cut alot of 17-4ph stainless hardened to H900 and they work great, a pretty good test. Also cut some tapered splines with a custom 6 tipped simtek t-slot cutter in a 4th axis for the motor shafts on this http://martinjetpack.com/

Do some great little solid carbide boring bars for the lathe too.

I did here a rumor once that they company was started by some guys from PH horn, but they seem to have a much larger range of t-slot cutters than them and we found there coating and grind geometry to work alot better in the 17-4.

Yes, I put a proposal to them (customer) costing various versions mentioning edm for the most challenging bits.

Also linked the PH Horn youtube vid showing their tools, and pointed out the differences (ie larger shanks, less overhang, shallower depth of cut etc).

It looks like common sense is prevailing, and they are edging towards external weight loss - Phew - I think we dodged a bullet :lol:

Hello newbeeee,

Have a look at an MSC line called "Shank Type Cutters". Go to the site and get to page 506 of the Big Book. You can also search for 00608729 (Ø1" x 1/8" width x 4-15/16 OAL). They are HSS or HSCO, 8tth and also staggered. They work very well, especially in aluminum as they are built with some nice geometry.

MIke

Newbee, it sure looks like the bosses for the threaded holes are wayyyyy larger than they need to be. The undercutting would be a lot easier if they removed about 50% of the thickness from the area around the threaded holes. There's no need to have .250 wall thickness around a 4-40 (or whatever tiny size) hole like that.

Joe - 100% correct. I did say this to them as well. They're M3 threads and to be honest 60 thou wall is plently for what it's doing.

Trouble with reducing the mtl, is it dramatically reduces the seating area for the pcb, which means re-test/qual for vibration which is big bucks...