Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Titianium in a lathe

Joels

Hello, I am trying to machine a 1 inch dia Ti bar in a Mori Seiki lathe, The issue is I have to use a boring bar to machine the center to .3385 dia, the OD is .3765 dia which leaves .019 a side wall thickness. the length is just over 2 inches. When i machine the part i get a big taper and the od comes out almost .02 oversize, the part is flexing, i have no center, no steady rest to work with just a spindle and a turret. I can up load the Mastercam file to the FTP server if you want as it has the geometry of what the part looks like.

I need help with this ASAp as i work nights and i am on the clock.

Thank you for your input.

Joel

but seriously imo thats a tall order for even a well seasoned machinist,

but i would do the bore first then fill the hole with a rod and glue it in or light press fit and do the od , that is the best practical solution i have , or if you have some of that low temp metal stuff that would probably work too anything to stiffen it up

a sharp insert would prob be best , stuff you would use in steel is not ideal

good luck

I think you will have (as you seem to already know) nothing but trouble trying to do this in one opp. I would try roughing the OD, drill (use a 135 degree split point cobalt drill-peck drill but only retract .01 or so to break the chips), rough the ID to within .02 per side or so, finish the OD to size and part off.

2nd opp. Bore jaws so the part is holding almost all the way around the part (kind of like a collet with as much contact as possible). Finish bore to size. We have had great luck in Ti. with Seco TS2000 grade inserts. Bore the jaws to hold as much of the length of the part as you can and relief the bottom so the chips have a place to go.

It may not be production but at some point you'll just have to get the parts done.