Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mazatrol vs. Mastercam vs. Esprit

Camelot

I have been given the task from the boss of deciding which kind of programming software is the best for company. We have been using Mastercam for 20 years now, but recently have purchased a couple of Mazak Integrex's 5-axis turn/mill machines. I been looking at Mastercam with their new MT software coming out in early 2013 and Esprit. Or should I just use the Mazatrol? Any thoughts?

I'm not sure about the Mazatrol for the integrex but for the machine I run, The mazatrol does indeed do a lot of stuff but still limited to advanced parts. I prefer Mastercam myself. I don't think I would rely solely on Mazatrol. Can't give any suggestions on Esprit though.

I have not seen the "new" Mastercam software for MT turning. I do have Esprit at my disposal here. We also have Okumas full suite of software as well. Here is my order

For simple turning stuff with easy to define geometry I use Okuma Admac/AOT.

For geometry that is not easily defined but single spindle/single turret I use MasterCam.

For anything complex geometry and multi-turret/spindle/B axis I use Esprit.

To be honest when it come to turning the only thing I don't like about Esprit is their geometry creation. When I can't get the right tool path off of a solid I often open Mastercam and create DXF geometry in it and then import it into Esprit for toolpath.

Well not that I know anything about programming Integrex machines, but saying I did and had my choice of what to use Mastercam without a question. I had our Mazatrol on the floor for Jaws and that was about it. Everything else was done in Mastercam. You did not say if it was an I series or E series and if it is an I series is it the Slant or Full Y axis model?

I have been given the task from the boss of deciding which kind of programming software is the best for company. We have been using Mastercam for 20 years now, but recently have purchased a couple of Mazak Integrex's 5-axis turn/mill machines. I been looking at Mastercam with their new MT software coming out in early 2013 and Esprit. Or should I just use the Mazatrol? Any thoughts?

My company is getting an Integrex i400 early next year we will be using Mastercam. Can I ask if you have had any issues with your machines? We were also looking at the Okuma Multus but are now leaning towards Mazak. Thanks.

Man,

Whatever you do, just keep away from Mazak software. We had to return ours to Mazak and get a refund because it is crappy, buggy and limited. We had to involve the Mazak President in U.S. due to the poor support and assistance we got when trying to return the product.

You're going to deeply regret if you buy Mazak software. You will realize you need another solution to do it with the minimal level of efficiency.

It is less buggy running Mazatrol code. For ISO, it sucks.

JM2C

Daniel - are you talking about software that can be loaded to a PC - ie stand alone?

Just curious.

To the OP - a couple of mates in different companies use various integrexes (what's the proper plural - integrexies???) and they use the mazatrol for all the latheing, and then ISO from mastercam for all the milling.

Daniel thanks for the info. We have no intention of using anything but Mastercam. We have had a Hardinge Q65 which has 2 spindles and does live tooling for years and mastercam does a great job with that machine. My question was more of a machine one as far as issues with spindles and whatnot. Thanks.

Jack

We have 2 "I"200S machines, 1 "I"200ST, and 1 "I"300S, and 2 E-420H machines

great machines. all our work is complex free form 5 axis machining and currently only use mastercam for everything but jaws

FYI, pst files for E and I series is the same. limiting factor to be careful of is X axis travel from home position with long tooling for the I series

Daniel - are you talking about software that can be loaded to a PC - ie stand alone?

Just curious.

To the OP - a couple of mates in different companies use various integrexes (what's the proper plural - integrexies???) and they use the mazatrol for all the latheing, and then ISO from mastercam for all the milling.

I'm talking about Mazak standalone programming / simulation software: MatrixCAM.

Daniel thanks for the info. We have no intention of using anything but Mastercam. We have had a Hardinge Q65 which has 2 spindles and does live tooling for years and mastercam does a great job with that machine. My question was more of a machine one as far as issues with spindles and whatnot. Thanks.

Jack

Ops.. sorry...

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
Mazatrol cannot handle the parts I do, I teach Mastercam and Esprit at a local tech school. I would wait for X7. Jus sayin. :whistle:

I gotta agree and I've been one of the largest critics on MC's Lathe Offering.

I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin.

Thanks everone for the replies. CrazyMillman-yes, both my Integrexes are series I with Y axis. Jack- Yes, I will try to keep you informed.

Doug-You obviously have the luxury of having the best of all worlds with having a few software packages at your dispossal. I do not. But I really appreciated your input. My question to you now is, why wouldn't you just use Esprit for all the kinds of jobs regardless of the complexity? Why do the less complex jobs go to a different software package? Could it be because of programming efficiency?

I'm talking about Mazak standalone programming / simulation software: MatrixCAM.

Good question, Newbee. Daniel - I was under the assumption that you had to program with Mazatrol on the machine. Is MatrixCAM the only software Mazatrol supports for a programming package out there for PC's?

Cam

Thanks everone for the replies. CrazyMillman-yes, both my Integrexes are series I with Y axis. Jack- Yes, I will try to keep you informed.

Doug-You obviously have the luxury of having the best of all worlds with having a few software packages at your dispossal. I do not. But I really appreciated your input. My question to you now is, why wouldn't you just use Esprit for all the kinds of jobs regardless of the complexity? Why do the less complex jobs go to a different software package? Could it be because of programming efficiency?

Thanks man.