Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Feature Based Milling and Drilling - Do you use it?

Rotary Ninja

FBM and FBD  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use FBM?

2. 2. Do you use FBD?

Hi Ninja!

FBM I have never used/trusted/had time for...but i guess if an 8 yr old can use it............

I do use FBD To get tool planes/axes for my holes. It works great on 4 axis / 5 axis parts that have a lot of holes!, probably takes me about 3 minutes to go through it and get a result that I like, and that could be for hundreds of holes. Sometimes I have to play around with it a little to get the result I am after, but after FBD has generated the spotting cycles for me, and I am happy with parameters etc, I will just copy and paste to get my peck drilling cycles. I have never used it for any more than this, but there are options for tapping / milling / counterboring as well. Generally I dont rtust things that "give you something for nothing", it seems too simple and nearly like cheating! but it has proven reliable for me! was a PITA to start with, but once i started to understand it, she was apples.Keen to hear other ppls experiences!

Brendan

We have a customer that supplies models and a DXF. The DXF sometimes (I should say usually) do not match the model. And I have seen many instances where the tapped holes are not modeled with the correct drill size. So I could never trust this feature, at least when it pertains to this customer. Although, after verifying every hole size on a model this may come in handy. They just love to have us make a part full of holes using every metric tap in our tap drawer.

Never got around to using either here, and never had the time to play with it.

I think Derek posted that he played all weekend once to get his head around and understand it and then got some reasonable results.

One day I'll play with it because for quick (read simple 1 off type) parts, it seems the way to go to me.

Yes, I know that. I was just giving an example. A lot of the parts I make have compound angles and no geometry that will give the correct results when picking directly on the model. So this is the method I use in that instance.

We make a lot of 1/4 scale suspension parts for wind tunnel models. There isn't a straight edge on them ;)

Like Gcode if you the Dynamic planes and WCS this make that kind of stuff much easier to setup. I want to add to the Eapprentice file more of the Dynamic use. will do a free office hours soon on this.

The FBM and FBD have there place for certain types of parts. Most of what I do they do not. but once in a while. I hope to see more out of it over the next few years.

Like Gcode if you the Dynamic planes and WCS this make that kind of stuff much easier to setup. I want to add to the Eapprentice file more of the Dynamic use. will do a free office hours soon on this.

The FBM and FBD have there place for certain types of parts. Most of what I do they do not. but once in a while. I hope to see more out of it over the next few years.

Sounds cool. Will be looking forward to some insight into these features.