Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Drilling a grid of holes

powerfulp

Hi,

We have a simple fixture plate that needs a grid of holes put in it. They are M16 holes, 2.000" apart. 17 rows, 35 across.

What would be the best way to go about writing the program for this? I've never written a macro program, but this seems like that might be the best way to go. If so, how would you go about writing this? And how is the best way to draw these points on MasterCam?

Thanks for any help!

There are probably better and 'more correct' ways to do this, and you can do it all in code pretty easy, but if you're in Mastercam anyway, you can just create a circle for your first hole, then Xform rectangular array to set up your pattern. Then just use mask on arc (or just 'last' after your first operation if you're doing more than one) when selecting geometry to get all your circles together for each of your operations real quickly.

Yeah, I was just checking if there was a better and/or more creative way to go about it than creating a point-by-point G-code program and also if there was a real fast way to do it (draw the points) in MasterCam. We have MasterCam, but I rarely get to use it.

Thought maybe a macro where you can just define how many holes in each direction, etc., etc. And maybe :) I was looking for an excuse to use a macro program because it's always interested me, but I've haven't been able to do any for one reason or the other.

Thanks

I program everything in Mastercam and drawing up a grid of holes would take only a minute or two, but if I had to do it manually, I would call the drill cycle and drill the first hole, then call a SUB-PROGRAM (M98) that has an incremental step over... then loop it the number of times of holes in that row... then repeat it for the rest of the rows.

Like I said, I'd do everything in Mastercam though.