Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New - Fanuc 31i A5 Controller - What Options do I Want?

Reko

Hello,

I have been asked to look at the option list for our new Fanuc 31i A5 controller and decide if there are any options that we need to add right now, because they say it is more expensive to add them later.

My problem is, I only have a list of the options that we bought, so it is important that I think of everything, and not miss out on any options that I will need later.

For example, Rigid Tapping is not on the list, so I will definitely add that. Also, it only has 6 work offsets and 32 tool offsets, so I will want to add to that.

The machine is an Ingersoll Gantry Mill with a full 5-Axis nutation head, and I plan on doing high speed machining and surfacing with it, so I would like to know the names/codes that are associated with High-Speed-Machining so that I can have that conversation and make sure I am getting what I want.

It only comes with:

256K Memory

63 Stored Programs

... is that enough?

It has a card reader, so I will likely be using that to DNC with the bigger programs.

I'm sure I am missing some things, so any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Expanded memory, tool centerpoint control, macro B, tool offsets.

I ran a fanuc that was a Fanuc/windows type (21i on a Takisawa multi-axis mill/turn) the expanded memory storage sucked. the Fanuc side had limited memory the PC side had GB's of memory. BUT the gotcha came when I wanted to load a blade profile! I was able to load the ENTIRE program into the CNC but could only run a small portion of that through the Fanuc side. I ended up using Mastercam to packet into like 50 small programs. So be careful of the 1GB of "storage" as opposed to 1GB of CNC memory.

256k on a 5-axis machine is weak. 256MB sounds a little better. Running a full 5-axis program off a card isn't so hot either. I've seen 1st hand the advantages of equiping the control correctly & unfortunately the disadvantages of going the cheap route. Now if the machine is going into s lean cell where it'll only do a specific set of parts it's entire service life - then only buy exactly whats needed to do that.

the 31series allows you to edit programs on the data server as if they were in cnc memory in storage mode, and also run programs without running in tape mode, if you are gonna use it like that id just get the data server and not expanded memory on cnc, 8mb is sh!t joke imo

Cool, Thanks to everyone.

I have a nutating head, so that is a head/head configuration so I assume I need TCP control, but within that section it also offers:

Tilted Working Plane Command

Cutter Compensation for 5-Axis Machining

Workpiece Setting Error Compensation

3-dimensional Manual Feed

Should I be looking at purchasing any of these options?

As a side note, we do have someone helping to guide us on what we need, but I need to know as much as I can so that I'm not wishing I had a feature that was left out.

Thanks again.

I sure hope someone proves me wrong, but I don't think TCP will help you with RAH. It sure would be nice for true 5 axis machining using right angle heads on head-table machines. So far I have been only able to use coordinate system rotation (G68) on those machines for indexing and not true 5 axis moves. Trunion style machines are not an issue though when using dynamic offset for true 5 axis with RAH.

Rob,

I'm not sure what you mean. I do have 4 right angle heads (RAH) for this Gantry Mill, so I will use different coordinate systems for that.

But I do have a nutating head, if I can call it that... the C-axis rotates around the Z-axis within the ram, and the head that attaches is the B-axis that essentially is the angle of inclination.

So just to be clear, and I'm hoping someone can answer this for me... I believe I need Fanuc's TCP option (G43.4) to use the full 5-axis, what I am calling a nutating head.

True?

My post will call G43.4 and I will program using the center of the ball.

The machine is an Ingersoll Gantry Mill with a full 5-Axis nutation head...

I sure hope someone proves me wrong, but I don't think TCP will help you with RAH.

I'm trying to figure out how and why RAH got brought into the discussion about a mutating head machine. :headscratch:

TCPC is mandatory on a mutating head machine... Unless you feel like reporting every time you break a tool.

TCPC is mandatory on a mutating head machine... Unless you feel like reporting every time you break a tool.

+1

Seems like I have a comprehension issue. I am sorry...

Somehow I understood that you were going to be using TCP for true 5 axis programming/machining using the RAH on your nutating head machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

Can you give me a bit of detail on what Focas2 does for me?

I asked for the option, so I believe I will be getting it... I want this thing loaded for bear, so that, even if I am not sure how to use a function right now, I will have it so I can learn to use it later.

I guess I would like a general explanation as to the advantage of having Focas2 and how I will want to use it.

Thank you.

Reko,

Focas2 will allow you the ability to integrate easier with ERP, MES, and PLM systems. It will provide data so that an application can retrieve current machine status, part counts, alarms, tool offset values, and virtually any process data available on the machine. OPC servers and MTConnect solutions are available to interface with the Focas2 libraries and connect your machine data to other systems in your organization. As far as communicating with the machine it is the fastest and most flexable way to manage data in and out of the Fanuc controller memory.

John

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!!!

Okay, so here is a list of the options they are installing right now:

-Ethernet Function

-Fast Ethernet software function

-Tool Center Point Control (TCP)

-Tilted Working Plane command (TWP)

-3D Cutter Comp

-Workpiece Setting Error Comp (WSEC)

-3D Manual Feed

-Program Restart

-Tool Retract and Recover

-AI Contour Control II

-Machining Condition Selecting Function

-Addition of Workpiece Coordinate System 48-Pairs

-Programmable Mirror Image

-Retraction for Rigid Tapping

-Tool Offset Pairs 99-Pairs

-Part Program Storage Size 8Mbyte

-Dual Position Feedback

Seriously... how cool is that?

Very nice, assume this is for aerospace work ?

We have a lot of work lined up. Energy Industry, oil rigs, transportation, etc.

It won't be long... a few more weeks and we will be up and running.

I already used the 30" long 90 degree head to put a key in a 12" bore 33" long... I went half way from both sides... and yeah newbeeee... it's sturdy :)

• 2 months later...

AICC-II can have 1,000 block look-ahead too. NANO Smoothing is a worthwhile acc/dec algorithm. Our old MAM with a 1st. gen 30i des not have it. We can't make our blisks on that machine. The surface finish pattern is not quite as consistent and our customer likes the ones run on the new machine a little better. No difference in accuracy just the "look".