Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Tips and Tricks

Rotary Ninja

One question though... ( watched it a third time ;) )

If you offset the 1st chain over .240" will it run the tool over the edge similar to the project path I did to keep the first cut at .010"? I guess i should add the reason I ask is because I would also use this toolpath to rough with first. Or just take it right to finish.

Well thanks but not really. cause if I am then there are allot of them on this forum. including your self keep sharing good work.

Now on your raised letter path. you did not say what path it was. now did you tilt the plane it looks like it is cutting at a tilt?

Yeah, that was just something I was showing my step son. He is 12 years old and is starting to see the things I am doing with the eapprentice stuff and he's seeing something he wants to learn I think

One question though... ( watched it a third time ;) )

If you offset the 1st chain over .240" will it run the tool over the edge similar to the project path I did to keep the first cut at .010"? I guess i should add the reason I ask is because I would also use this toolpath to rough with first. Or just take it right to finish.

yes review pictures.

I would like to share another path called Surface Blend that works well on top of this Project for the same part. hope you find it helpful.

Please review video link: http://www.mastercam...urfaceblend.wmv

+1 on the Surface Blend toolpath for this one.

I just used it the other day to do a similar U-Shaped part.

I just offset the outter profile lines and it did everything in between very nicely.

MotorCityMinion do you ever use the option in surfacing of Direction to control the entry and exit of the tool?

Direction control with almost everything. On rare occasions, tangential line length. The dummy drive surfaces are to help with the first agressive cut or to influence the shape of the toolpath. I wish the old school tool paths had the entry / exit capabilities of the HST paths. IE: 3d arc entry.

Direction control with almost everything. On rare occasions, tangential line length. The dummy drive surfaces are to help with the first agressive cut or to influence the shape of the toolpath. I wish the old school tool paths had the entry / exit capabilities of the HST paths. IE: 3d arc entry.

it would be nice to have more control agreed but if they had all the same then they would be what we have correct. now how about the option to turn off some of those HST options and now it becomes like the old style without have the old ones as they are now combined together.

RN.. your sample file would be a good one to try with the large gap setting and no connections between the drive lines

I think I tried that the other day and I wasn't doing something right. I got it now though, thanks.

And thanks Jay. I learned a few things today. So this is a good day. And you can call me whatever you want =)

it would be nice to have more control agreed but if they had all the same then they would be what we have correct. now how about the option to turn off some of those HST options and now it becomes like the old style without have the old ones as they are now combined together.

Not here to argue about it but old school SF contour can start at the bottom and move up, it also can come completely off the part between Z levels, which is nice for roughing. I haven't been able to make waterline do either of those. Is it even possible? Perhaps I'm missing something. So SF Contour is my preference. It can be agreed that both styles have their strengths and weaknesses.

Raster... WTF, crappy code relative to Parallel. Example: http://www.emasterca...33276&hl=raster Not much has changed. I've tried it on several parts since then with mixed results. Again, perhaps I'm missing something.

Old or new scallop paths, can't stand 'em. All the sharp moves are anything but HSM, even with the rounding turned on it's a mess.

I do agree about having more control. Too bad they haven't combined the best of both tool paths and gave you just one awesome tool path of that type.

A good example of directional controls used in combination with dummy drive surfaces.

http://www.emasterca...olidays +thanks

Ninja, how have you not maxed out your uploads yet?

I guess I have to ask. weere did this come from. (Not here to argue about it but) As i don't think my thoughts were going here.

I don't agree fully with your thoughts but that is fine. we use the tools we like.I to am not a fan of every path and its options but use what is needed to get the part done.

the paths that you state have there place and are not for all shapes . that is for sure. but way back in the ealer days of the option for sureface tool paths this is really what we had. all of the options have come along way.

Too bad they haven't combined the best of both tool paths and gave you just one awesome tool path of that type.
That is one of thoughts I was trying to say I agree. and it could happen.

Jay, no negative implications at all. That came across the wrong way. This particular thread has been great. Your experience, facts and opinions are always respected in my book.

I'll balance my tool path selections somewhere between get er done, and sweet looking. If it looks like its stabbing or kind of shabby, I'll try something different.

Jay, no negative implications at all. That came across the wrong way. This particular thread has been great. Your experience, facts and opinions are always respected in my book.

I'll balance my tool path selections somewhere between get er done, and sweet looking. If it looks like its stabbing or kind of shabby, I'll try something different.

All good thanks I try to help. and some nice work on the part you shared the link on.

Amen on that one. :-)

All good thanks I try to help. and some nice work on the part you shared the link on.

+1 MCM, that is very nice looking paddle. Good job.

I get frustrated sometimes when I can't get a path to do what I want. I usually just rotate the path 90 degrees and machine it twice LOL.

+1 MCM, that is very nice looking paddle. Good job.

Thanks guys.

I get frustrated sometimes when I can't get a path to do what I want. I usually just rotate the path 90 degrees and machine it twice LOL.

LOL, I could have easily thrown that out there as well. I've done that in the past but i refrain from showing that to the guys at work becuase they would use it frequently and not learn to tweak the proper tool paths.

BTW, that's an option in HSMWorks, to repeat with parallel passes in the same op, 90. deg to the 1st angle choosen.

• 4 weeks later...

Setting up different drill depths and retract planes in a single toolpath:

I made a post in another thread about this and wanted to add this here since it goes along with what this thread is about.

Here is an example drawing of a part with varying drill point depths and varying top of hole positions:

th_01_zpsc0d62bba.png

Create a drill point toolpath and select the drill point for each hole:

th_02_zps97f354fc.png

Setup the linking parameters as so:

th_03_zps0ef32221.png

Hit OK and you should have this (which would make tooling manufacturers VERY happy):

th_04_zps79d848fa.png

Now open the geometry window back up to see your drill points. Click the first drill point to highlight it, then right-click it and select "Change at point...". When the window opens place a check next to retract. Right-click in the text field and select "Distance between 2 points". Pick the center-point of the top of your hole and the drill point.

th_05_zps73c1c7f5.png

My first drill depth is 1" from the top of the hole to the breakout of the drill. So the distance from the top of the hole to the actual drill point is 1.060386", which is the value I got by using "Distance between 2 points" above. Now, just after the 6 type +.1. So you will see 1.060386+.1 in this text field. This will set the tool to retract 1.160386 above the drill point, which is exactly .100" above the top of the hole. Click OK and regen and your toolpath should now look like this:

th_06_zps7c65dd41.png

Do the same for the remaining points and you should have this:

th_07_zps1e6a0482.png