Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill Tips and Tricks

Rotary Ninja

Here are a few tips I have had to give in the past to green employees...

Make sure you tighten the vise on the work piece before hitting cycle start (said about 10 minutes too late)

Make sure the fixture is actually bolted to the table before hitting cycle start (same as above)

DO NOT put tools in tool holders and just leave them finger tight, I will assume they are tight...

If you put a tool in the machine, you had better set the length or you might get fired. Don't just walk away and leave it with no offset.

When the torque wrench goes 'click' it means the part is tight and there is no need to keep cranking until the bolt actually breaks off in the fixture...

When I first started, I think I crashed about everything I put my hands on. Thankfully I worked someplace that I had multiple opportunities for mistakes, benefit of working for a large company. I learned fast though. Now I have 16 years, experience. I see the new guys doing the same stuff I used to do.

LOL! Now that is when you know you're having a bad day. That is when I head out for a long bike ride...

Must be nice being the boss ;)

When I first started, I think I crashed about everything I put my hands on. Thankfully I worked someplace that I had multiple opportunities for mistakes, benefit of working for a large company. I learned fast though. Now I have 16 years, experience. I see the new guys doing the same stuff I used to do.

Been there, done that. Crashes happen. Learn from it, get over it, and get on with it is what I try to tell the new guys.

Here is a rather important one. NEVER hit cycle start and turn your back to the machine, even if it is a proven program. ALWAYS make sure the first move makes sense. 95% of crashes will occur on the very first move because a tool or offset is not set correctly. On a new program I take this approach with every tool change. First move with the new tool is the most important.

• Like 2

Don't face parts on a vacuum chuck with a shell mill. It may take longer, but if the chuck lets go with a 3/8" end mill the part will only be moving at 50 mph. If it lets go with a 3" shell mill it will be more like 250 mph...

If you put a vise in the machine ALWAYS line it up to .0002" because when the next guy comes along (me) he will assume it has been set up correctly and go about using it. If two vises are on the machine side by side, line them up to each other every time. This reduces scrapped parts in the long run and if the machine has vises bolted to the table there is no doubt they are lined up and ready to use.

Here are a couple that have served me well over the past.

I use a 12" SS .001" Starratt shim to set my tool.

Most of my work is mold and dies and not parts in a jig so it is mostly jobshop.

Since the shop is not climate controlled exactly and the machines are not high end, I will set my offset when I need to run that tool and not set all the tools at once. You do not have to deal with heat expansion in this way. Most of my work is 3-d surfacing and multiple ball endmills of different sizes have to be run over the same area and this will insure there are no areas on the part where one tool cut deeper than the other tool due to thermal expansion of either the workpiece or the machine tool itself. if you have to unclamp the tool and look at it, reset the offset because it will most likely not seat back exactly the same if the machine has been heated up.

I hardly ever chip the tool and the tools are within .0005 of each other. Jog the tool down on the shim while slightly moving it in and out as you hold it with your thumb and forefinger. When the tool grabs the shimstock push the tool set. Your hand is always a foot away so it is safe should you do the unthinkable and rapid into the workpiece.

This is just a fast way to get real close as there are more accurate ways to set the tool offset.

Here are a few tips I have had to give in the past to green employees...

Make sure you tighten the vise on the work piece before hitting cycle start (said about 10 minutes too late)

Make sure the fixture is actually bolted to the table before hitting cycle start (same as above)

DO NOT put tools in tool holders and just leave them finger tight, I will assume they are tight...

If you put a tool in the machine, you had better set the length or you might get fired. Don't just walk away and leave it with no offset.

When the torque wrench goes 'click' it means the part is tight and there is no need to keep cranking until the bolt actually breaks off in the fixture...

This one reminds me of a place I worked at long ago.... and for a short period of time, I might add.

The setup guys would borrow set screws from other toolholders, (becuse the lame bosses were to to cheap to buy new ones when the setup guys stripped out the old set screw... yeah...)

but they'd leave a tool in the toolholder they borrowed the set screw from. Along comes another setup guy, sees a tool already setup in a tool holder, does'nt notice(or check) that the set screw's missing and put's it in the machine....

Hey dude, what's that noise coming machine #5?....

You shouldn't have to, but enless your shop has a good system in place with good people, double check everything.

"In my opinion that button has no business being there, especially where it is."

LOL, I've dented a few parts in my time.

Same crap on our Makino. You have to press the spindle STOP button to release the orientation after a tool change. This button is right next to the spindle start button, and both are above the control. The only 2 buttons in that location. I'm standing at my machine right across from the Makino when I hear that oh so familiar THWAK. Look over and the guy is as white as a ghost. Last programmed feed was 18500 rpm. It's not funny at all, quite serious actually. Every time i see this happen, the operator looks around for the pieces, hoping for just a bit of luck that the Interapid can some how be put back together.

I've managed to piece several axial supports back together after a few years. It usually takes 3 or 4 accidents to make one good one.

When running a ballnose endmill over an OD contour for example, with a surface finish toolpath such as a flowline, always start at the bottom when possible. This will keep the center of the ballnose from doing any work. Starting from the bottom will always side cut the material away and leave less for the center to do...

finish1_zpsd3d0d0b2-1_zps2f2d24b1.jpg

If you start from the top and you have roughed the surface with a flat endmill leaving the familiar stair-step pattern you will see galding at every step where the finish tool buries the tip of the ball into the heavy part of the step as it is below...

finish2_zpsd2d266fa-1_zps0ce5946d.jpg

Also, using a surface finish toolpath and cutting from the bottom up is a good way to not even need to use a surface rough toolpath to begin with. I rarely ever use surface rough parallel or contour toolpaths. If you do have to rough some material off first, try this same finish toolpath, but use a flat endmill staying off the drive surfaces by .030" or so. I have taken a 2" LOC in one pass this way stepping over .050" per pass.

rough_zps538f089e-1_zpsb8566e0c.jpg

This was done with one pass, and the deepest LOC was 2"...

rough2_zps5062d813-1_zpsdbcf0140.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of good tips guys. New to the forum, I've been machining for over 20 years but fairly new to Mastercam just trying to find as much info as I can

Welcome to the forum and to Mastercam. I'm kinda in the same boat. I've been working with Mastercam since September 2012. You will find pretty much any help you need here in these forums. Unfortunately, not a lot of help from me... I'm a NOOB.

Surface Finish Project:

I will show you one of my methods for using this toolpath. I am sure there are better ways to do this, but this is what I have learned on my own. And I have had some good results from using this method. I have used this toolpath a lot because it allows me to create a path that follows geometry that I create over an irregularly shaped surface such as this one:

01_zpscb1d4774.png

This may seem like a long drawn out process but I am used to it and can create a path like this in just a few minutes on some really complex parts.

I am only going to show you a finish toolpath with a .020" stepover using a 1/4" Ballnose Endmill. This could also be used for the Surface Rough Project Toolpath as well. This is just one way to use the Surface Project Toolpaths. There are many ways to finish this surface. But this would be my favorite way because as you will see the toolpath follows this contour exactly.

Start by creating a line along the ends and along one side of the contour you wish to follow like the red lines below. I usually draw this a bit above my part to give some clarity.

02_zps1affbd22.png

Since I am using a 1/4" Ball Endmill I offset the geometry on the ends by .260" to give the endmill room to extend over the end of the part. I offset the first chain along the side of the contour by .240" to force the first pass to take a .010" cut. Then trim the contour to the lines at the ends.

03_zps6720c4f8.png

Then delete these ends (yellow geometry) becuase they are no longer needed.

04_zps5acd3694.png

Select Xform>>Offset Contour and select the chain

05_zps320ac663.png

This flange is .500" wide. Since my initial cut is .240" from the edge, plus the .500" thickness equals .740" distance I need to travel. I am going to use a .020" stepover just for this demonstration. So .740" divided by .020" equals 37. So offset the geometry by .020" - 37 times.

06_zpsf65a335d.png

After that draw a line across the ends of the geometry and use the Trim Divide tool to delete the line between every other path on each end. NOTE: On the opposite end of the path you need to delete the opposite lines so your path creates one continuous chain across the part.

07_zpsffff2b68.png

Select Toolpaths>>Surface Finish>>Project. Select the drive surfaces (blue)

08_zps63f6843d.png

Click the curves button

09_zps0827604e.png

Select the chain you created.

10_zps73b09019.png