Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

upgrade video card

Thoob

Hi guys, I currently run an 8800GT video card for my X6. The rest of my computer is i7 920 with 12GB triple channel memory. I was looking to get a Quadro 2000 card. I was asking the guys upstairs who use Inventor 2012 what they have in their system and the lead guy tells me "you don't need what we have". I find this kind of confusing as he does not know anything about Mastercam. He works with AutoCad and Inventor so to me he doesn't really know. The question I have is, what will I notice by changing these cards? Keep in mind I do a lot of surfacing. Not just 2D work. I do notice sometimes lines/geometry disappearing on me and colors not changing after a translate or xform move and also in verify, edges are not smooth when I zoom in. Is this upgrade justifiable? Is there a reason he said I don't need what they have? By the way, their computers have the Quadro 2000. Thanks.

Having used both and ATi, they are better

Just better overall performance.

As far as geometry looking god or bad, crap geometry will still look like crappy geometry, no video card will fix that.

Always run at the highest available resolution for the greatest "look" do remember though, it is only a look

I talked to the owner about it. He said go ahead and get one. So a PNY 1GB Quadro 2000 is on the way.

He didn't even hesitate when I told him about it. Which would be a good thing I would think. lol.

Now go ask for a raise and see if you get the same response :laughing:

• Like 1

i went with the 2000 because the 4000 was double the cost.

my theory was if i found myself needing the 4000, i would just get a second 2000, which would actually give me higher performance than a single 4000.

i had a budget of $2,000, and i ended up spending $2,500. i doubt the owner would have been so forgiving if the price was $3,000.

And just exactly do what do you expect a video card to do for Mastercam processing performance?

Outside side of much cleaner graphics, better video response time and more stable verify, I'm not sure how you expect to "quantify" your results based on processing a Mastercam file

You tell me... That's why I posted here in the first place. To see if I will notice a difference between the 2 cards. By the way I never said I would just process a mastercam file. I said I'd like to do a test. And asked if anyone had a recommendation of a specific file to use.

i went with the 2000 because the 4000 was double the cost.

my theory was if i found myself needing the 4000, i would just get a second 2000, which would actually give me higher performance than a single 4000.

i had a budget of $2,000, and i ended up spending $2,500. i doubt the owner would have been so forgiving if the price was $3,000.

I thought I just read somewhere that Mastercam doesn't utilize SLI and that 2 Quadro 2000's would not beat out a 4000. Or not even close for that matter.