Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Out of memory error?

Bob W.

I am trying to post a large (150Mb+) program for finishing a mold and Mastercam is giving me an error message "out of memory". Any idea how to fix this? I currently have 25Gb free on my hard drive and I have 16Gb of ram with only 2.5Gb used per the task manager. This is surfacing a part that is about two square feet with a 1/16" ball mill using HST scallop. 0.004" stepover.

Thanks,

Bob

Not sure, probably turned off. With 16Gb of ram I haven't had to worry about it. Mastercam is set to use 90% of available memory. I went ahead and saved a copy of this file and blew out all of the toolpaths and geometry except the finishing operation. We'll see in an hour or so if that makes the difference.

I am trying to post a large (150Mb+) program for finishing a mold and Mastercam is giving me an error message "out of memory". Any idea how to fix this? I currently have 25Gb free on my hard drive and I have 16Gb of ram with only 2.5Gb used per the task manager. This is surfacing a part that is about two square feet with a 1/16" ball mill using HST scallop. 0.004" stepover.

Thanks,

Bob

X6x64 or X7x64 running on Win7x64 with 32gig of ram... It's been over a year since I've seen this error

Not sure, probably turned off. With 16Gb of ram I haven't had to worry about it. Mastercam is set to use 90% of available memory. I went ahead and saved a copy of this file and blew out all of the toolpaths and geometry except the finishing operation. We'll see in an hour or so if that makes the difference.

Oh yeah. Are you running an SSD? I think it is recommended that be turned off with SSD drives. Memory is cheap. Fill er up ;)

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit. The program finally posted after I loosened up the stepover. It was 305 Mb.

Oh yeah. Are you running an SSD? I think it is recommended that be turned off with SSD drives. Memory is cheap. Fill er up ;)

Last time I checked, the memory config to get to 32Gb of ram wasn't cheap, but maybe that was for my laptop. I am about ready to build another system and I will check into it. This computer is 18 months old so things might be different now.

Yes, running an SSD, set the available memory to zero?

You don't want to have the paging file turned on on SSD's. Here is some help I found on this...

"Windows creates a paging file on the system drive. The initial size of the paging file is determined by the amount of memory you have installed. The paging file is a file, called Pagefile.sys, stored the root of the system drive.

You can move the paging file to your second data drive, or you can resize the existing paging file on your system drive. To change these settings click on the Advanced tab of the System Properties dialog box, under Performance, click Settings. That opens the Performance Options dialog box, where you will find another Advanced tab and Under Virtual Memory, click Change.

The first thing you need to do is uncheck the Automatically Manage box at the top. This step unlocks the remaining options.

SSD6.png

If the desktop system has plenty of RAM (4 GBs or more), set the initial size to 1024 MB, and the maximum size 4 GB. After making any changes, be sure to click Set.

To move the paging file to a different drive, first select the system drive, click No Paging File, and click Set. Then select the secondary drive and choose either System Managed Size or Custom Size enter the appropriate values; then click Set.

Actually, there are other important settings too. Do a search for setting up SSD's on google and you will find a lot of useful info. Most people think they are just plug and play, and for the most part they are. But there are some important things that need to be changed to prolong the life of your SSD.

Oh, and what I mean by memory being cheap...

http://www.newegg.co...=32GB (4 x 8GB)

I remember when 2 GB of memory was $500 and up!

On my previous rig I had 4GB RAM. I stuck in a little SSD just for temp and paging files, and that helped significantly. Before, if a stock model regen went over 4GB it was toast. After, it still took forever, but was usually possible. On my new rig I've got 32GB and the only drive is SSD. I'm topping 32GB on regen sometimes now but it always works through. I think the most I've seen paged was around 6GB.