Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Remote access to Mastercam using RDP?

neurosis

Is it possible to connect to your work pc through RDP and use Mastercam?

Ive tried to connect and it gives me the "No Sim Found" error message. I am certain that the hasp is plugged in to the remote pc and is working.

Let me give a little back ground on what I am doing.

I used to use a program called RealVNC to remotely access my work pc and work from home whenever needed. We are closing all un-necessary ports on our router at work due to some security issues which include the ports required for RealVNC. I know that the hasp is working because at this time I am still able to connect via RealVNC and launch Mastercam without issue. It is only when I try to connect using RDP that I get the "no sim found" error.

Now before anyone goes on about closed ports, security, and RDP, I am able to keep one port open for remote access but only under one condition. The port is for SSH and uses key authentication (with password) only.

What I have done, is create an ssh tunnel with key authentication, and a redirect to the required port for RDP. I am able to connect to the pc without issue but Mastercam will not run.

I have read that people are using Logmein but this is not an option for me. We are getting rid of RealVNC because with a secure way to connect using RDP there is no need for it. If we can get it working that is.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is the word I recieved from CNC software when I asked about this:

I doubled checked with our programmer in charge of the security and he verified that nothing has changed between versions. One thing that may be tripping them up is some OS combinations appear to work via remote desktop while others do not. For example in my tests here:

∙ XP 32 remote into Win 7 64 - I was not able to run X5 or X6 off of a local HASP.∙ Win 7 64 remote into Win 7 64 - I was not able to run X5 and X6 off of a local HASP∙ Win 7 64 remote into XP 32 - I was able to run X5 and X6 off of a local HASP.

In either case remote desktop is not something we official support.

I did a search for "windows 7 rdp hasp" and came up with some info. Does not sound like good news.

http://sentineldiscussion.safenet-inc.com/topic/application-not-finding-hasp-when-connection-over-remote-desktop

I would assume that this would have to be fixed by Mastercam/CNC and after your post, it sounds like this is not their problem (they have no plans on addressing this issue because they dont support it).

Maybe if enough people were using it, it would be worth their time to address.

If you've got a nethasp, just vpn into your license server.

This runs way better than gotomypc as only the licensing data is dependent on the broadband connection

I have 40 meg cable broad band at home

The shop has an antique T1 line running 1 meg on a good day.

Gotomy pc would be worthless, but accessing the nethasp via a VPN tunnel is just like being at worki