Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Back Again WTH but with Mcam for Sworks

Layke

Fellas, those who know me knew me as Mold100, I just a brief stint with a company I previously contracted but had to move on. I have landed once again to be behind a puter with Mcam. Here is the catch, We have 3 seats of stand alone X6 on the floor, I design and build so I have a trial seat of X6 for Solidworks coming today. I am aprehensive of sorts. Can i use current tool library and posts that we use on stand alones. Also I did look into this awhile ago at that time the files could not open in the others seat. I can not open a MCX file and the stand alone can not open mine. Is this correct? I lost my account info to retain my Senior Member status.

They can open your file with toolpaths, there is a setting in the config to allow them to bring the toolpath into the standalone

You cannot open their mcx files, unless that has changed fairly recently

Welcome back.. Webby should be able to help you retrieve your old account and senior status.

As for your MCfSW questions.

Your posts and tool libraries are directly interchangeable with regular Mastercam

There are no changes or conversions required.

In fact, if you keep your posts and tool libraries on a network like we do, MCfSW can use the exact same files.

Regular Mastercam can open solidworks files with imbedded X6 toolpaths. you just have to have

both X6 and Solidworks installed on the same machine.

You can also do bi directional import /export of operations between X6 and MXfSW.. just use the ops format to do it.

"...Regular Mastercam can open solidworks files with imbedded X6 toolpaths. you just have to have

both X6 and Solidworks installed on the same machine..."

I don't believe the 2nd part of this is true...any Mastercam user can open a SolidWorks document that contains Mastercam for SolidWorks toolpaths and have access to the toolpaths.

GCode - is that something that you've run up against?

"...Regular Mastercam can open solidworks files with imbedded X6 toolpaths. you just have to have

both X6 and Solidworks installed on the same machine..."

I don't believe the 2nd part of this is true...any Mastercam user can open a SolidWorks document that contains Mastercam for SolidWorks toolpaths and have access to the toolpaths.

GCode - is that something that you've run up against?

No.. every machine I run has both Mastercam and MCfSW installed.

Maybe it's that the SW file has to be closed when you try to open the sldprt file????

I know I've had trouble with it, but always got it to work.

So I can not save as a seperate MCX file out of Solidworks? The stand alone seats do not have Solidworks installed on them. This could be interesting curve. I will be trying this as soon as I get it all installed. Oh and how is it with :cough: Vista .....Windows 7 will be updated to soon, but we are going puter by puter and I am still a couple away.

"...Maybe it's that the SW file has to be closed when you try to open the sldprt file????..."

Yes - that's true...having the document open in SW will "lock" the data streams inside of it so that Mastercam can't access the toolpaths.

"...So I can not save as a seperate MCX file out of Solidworks? The stand alone seats do not have Solidworks installed on them..."

Correct - it won't save as MCX, but those standalone MC seats will be able to get the toolpaths from the SW document (as long as it's not open in SW at the time).

And like GCode says, you can "export" toolpaths from the SW Document and import them into a Mastercam session.

John I thought vista will get me through X6 it will Sworks 2013 .........

Pete,

Can I import the toolpaths into a Solidworks session, I think that is what G was telling me. Will it ever be totally cross compatable where I can open a MCX file in Solidworks and it already is other way ........

John I thought vista will get me through X6 it will Sworks 2013 .........

Pete,

Can I import the toolpaths into a Solidworks session, I think that is what G was telling me. Will it ever be totally cross compatable where I can open a MCX file in Solidworks and it already is other way ........

Yes you can import mcx toolpaths directly into an MC4SW session.. and other cool thing

If you have 2 MCfSW sessions open, you can copy/paste toolpaths directly from one session to another.

SolidWorks cannot open mcx files