Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Tool Manager/ Tool Holders

Bridgeportboy

BridgeportBoy - I'll have to look into that, I'm not quite sure. In the mean time, you can get around that by saving your holders as a .tooldb file from Mastercam.. (In a toolpath, open .HOLDERS library and then just hit save and save it as a TOOLDB file. Then you can open it in Tool Manager.

Bridgeport are you doing this inside of MCX? or with the new Toolmanager?

There is a HOLDERS.TOOLDB (Contains all holders) with the X7 install, There are also CT40.holders, that you can save as .TOOLDB (like Aaron Mentioned) if you only want a specific set of Holders.

You will also want to do that in INCH and METRIC so you get the correct holders for either if you are working in both units. There is not a merge function built into the tool manager you have to open up 2 windows and drag and drop them from one to the other to achieve what you are after. Aaron has pointed you in the right direction. I would make up a .tooldb for each machine you are programming in with the holders and tools you want. If you do assemblies then build them in that library so you will have them when you need them.

HTH

Some 1st time things you enjoy just as much or more the 1000th time, this isn't one of those things.

I did as you said and opened the *.HOLDERS file and saved as *.TOOLDB.

That went well and now I can open my holders as a *.TOOLDB file and they all look to be correct.

I am not following the advice on how to open two different windows and drag and drop between.

Call me dense or whatever but I just can't seem to get it to work.

I just want to combine my holders with my tools to make an assembly and save that to use on future projects.

Anyone up for a video on how to do this?

Steve

Thank you Aaron. What I found was that I was doing it correct, it is that the quantity amount directly to the right of the Holders in () was not updating.

When I clicked on the holders tab I found the holders in there.

After I went in and deleted several of the duplicates the quantity updated correctly.

Steve

Glad you got it working, that's odd that it wasn't refreshing for you..

And I got an update from the owner of the new tool manager, it's not going to support the .holders file. If you had ran "update folders" or or migration utility, it would have converted the files at that point, so you would have had the .tooldb file.

Another question,

If I adjust the tool length in the tools page and that same tool was used in an assembly, why doesn't the assy update to the new length?

For example, I always try to keep as much shank in our heat shrink holders as possible but, once in a while I need to pull the tool out another 10 or 15mm to be able

to machine a project without shanking out on the holder.

Do I need to create a new Assy every time I change how much tool is hanging below the holder?

post-44334-0-63941700-1368011509_thumb.png

Steve,

When you set up your tool, make it the real length of the tool (not the stickout amount). Now, when you build your assembly, there's a field for Tool Projection, you can set how much is sticking out of the holder.

post-12334-0-51042900-1368014302_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-96947200-1368014309_thumb.jpg

Note: When you load these into Mastercam (choose "assemblies" when you "select Library tool" if you haven't gotten that far yet), it will bring it over in whatever state it's in right now and keep a copy of it with that mastercam file (so that'll get rid of missing library warnings!). But if you change the assembly later, you'll need to delete it from Mastercam and reselect it in those toolpaths.

post-12334-0-51042900-1368014302_thumb.jpg

post-12334-0-96947200-1368014309_thumb.jpg

Also,

We use mostly Techniks & Nikken tooling, how do I add them to the manufacturers list?

This is a big sticking point for me as well. Why we can't just make the list ourselves is beyond me.

Steve - Sorry, I missed that on the last page! You must have posted it right as I was writing my reply...

Right now there's no way to add your own to that, unfortunately.. I know the tool team is aware of it, and it was a conscious decision (I don't know why, though). But please, send any comments like that through your reseller or to [email protected], just so that way there's an official record of who needs what.