Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X7 Webinar 1 - Mastercam Tool Manager - Monday, May 10th @ 11 AM EST

Aaron Eberhard

Hey guys, first the webcast was great thanks Aaron. Just one question for anyone who may know. I'm trying to import custom geometry but its giving me "Invalid tool properties..." error. I even imported the same tool from iscar that Aaron did and got the same error... Any ideas. If no one knows does someone have Aaron's email. Thanks

Jake

Hey Jake,

If you're going from a DXF, I'm guessing the levels aren't set up right? I've attached a dxf here to try importing. Let me know how that work.

Tim - Didn't think about it... We put it up on the website to download, and it's already streamed by gotomeeting, so I didn't worry about it.

Cheers,

Aaron

Tool To Import - E90X D12-C16-06.zip

Guest MTB Technical Services

Tim - Didn't think about it... We put it up on the website to download, and it's already streamed by gotomeeting, so I didn't worry about it.

Aaron,

I'd like to suggest a single online source for this kind of media.

GoToMeeting is great if you're able to do it live.

Most of us don't have that luxury.

Having to give all your personal information is a bit much as well.

Mastercam has a YouTube channel but from a user perspective there is almost nothing of value on it.

There is no point to having a social media outlet if all it's going to tell us is that water is wet and rocks are hard.

Right now, the current YouTube content is essentially nothing but commercials for the product.

We already know Mastercam can program parts.

Having some real content for users on YouTube, like your webinars, would be a huge improvement.

Aaron,

I'd like to suggest a single online source for this kind of media.

GoToMeeting is great if you're able to do it live.

Most of us don't have that luxury.

Having to give all your personal information is a bit much as well.

Mastercam has a YouTube channel but from a user perspective there is almost nothing of value on it.

There is no point to having a social media outlet if all it's going to tell us is that water is wet and rocks are hard.

Right now, the current YouTube content is essentially nothing but commercials for the product.

We already know Mastercam can program parts.

Having some real content for users on YouTube, like your webinars, would be a huge improvement.

Tim - you don't have to give it real information :)

Seriously, This is something I'm trying to get together, a youtube channel with not only stuff like this, but also quick little tech tips and such. Time time time :) It'll happen sooner than later, though! For now, keep an eye on the product demos section of the website if you want to download full videos like this.

It's a great idea, I'd like to think I'm a step ahead towards implementing it, but I'm glad to hear some support for it!

Leigh - That's probably due to it using a beta tool database, which isn't compatible with the released version... I'm looking into getting you the exact files you need to look at/refresh, I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

• Like 1

Tim - you don't have to give it real information :)

Seriously, This is something I'm trying to get together, a youtube channel with not only stuff like this, but also quick little tech tips and such. Time time time :) It'll happen sooner than later, though! For now, keep an eye on the product demos section of the website if you want to download full videos like this.

It's a great idea, I'd like to think I'm a step ahead towards implementing it, but I'm glad to hear some support for it!

Leigh - That's probably due to it using a beta tool database, which isn't compatible with the released version... I'm looking into getting you the exact files you need to look at/refresh, I'll let you know as soon as I hear back.

Aaron,

If a person has to lie when registering for a Webinar to keep from giving out their personal details then the registration process needs to change.

An email should be sufficient.

In all seriousness, I really appreciate the fact that you actually responded. :thumbsup:

I'm already subscribed to the Mastercam Channel on YouTube so I wait with anticipation.

<RANT ON>

Now, if you'd ask whoever is in charge of the new tool manager, how they managed to design it without a gage line reference?! :realmad:

You can't interface to a tool presetter without a gage line.

As for a Tool Crib using it, ROTFLMAO!

You can't possibly be serious?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot????!!!!!!!

They need to look at real Tool Management software like WinTool or TDM and talk to people actually using Tool Management software.

http://www.wintool.c...et-Sample-E.pdf

To put it nicely, the new Tool Manager is a steaming pile and needs to be redone so it's actually useable.

The fact that it actually made it to a release version should be viewed as an embarrassment.

I'm ranting here to you because you're from CNC and the responsible parties don't seem to think communication with the install base is important.

Reporting bugs is all well and good but there is ZERO feedback from QC to ANYONE who reports a bug.

You can never tell the status of any bug you report to QC.

You have to hope that it gets done and then look at the release note for the next update.

People rant here because there is no return loop on the feedback given to QC.

If a user has to ask what the status of a bug fix is, QC has failed.

If something as basic as tracking the status of a bug report can't be made available to the users reporting them then why should they even bother?

<RANT OFF>

Leigh - it looks like you may need to get rid of the beta databases that were installed for the defaults... those defaults gets pulled in from c:\users\public\public documents\shared mcamx7\common\ToolData\.. If you rename that "ToolData" folder (or delete it), it'll create a new one next time you open Tool Manager. See if it works then.. Note, on my system I had to open the tool manager to recreate the files, then close it and open it again for it to read the files it just created, but I'm working on an extremely experimental build of MU1 at the moment...

Hockey Guy - Glad you support it.. That was one of the big things I've gotten from all of the people I talk to is the value of the little tips & tricks, as well as some more detailed instruction like this, so we're trying to make it happen as time permits. :)

Aaron,

If a person has to lie when registering for a Webinar to keep from giving out their personal details then the registration process needs to change.

An email should be sufficient.

In all seriousness, I really appreciate the fact that you actually responded. :thumbsup:

I'm already subscribed to the Mastercam Channel on YouTube so I wait with anticipation.

You're definitely welcome... There does seem to be a good discourse on the more poignant threads on here... I know most of the guys who try to stay active on the forum often don't have time to keep up on the scattered ranting threads, but we do our best :thumbsup:

We really do appreciate everything on here (yes, yes, even the rants!), and it does reinforce how passionate you guys are about the product, which is awesome. :thumbsup: Everyone from the top down really does care about making the best product they can, and keeping you guys as productive as possible.

One thing to keep in mind is something that was alluded to in the webinar, which is that Tool Manager is not "finished" in our minds, by a large stretch. It was born out of the need to reinvent and redefine our tool management inside of Mastercams' toolpaths, to simplify the process of dealing with holders & assemblies and in general make things easier to manage the large amount of data associated with the whole tooling side of the manufacturing process. The Tool Manager is merely the public face of HUGE internal changes that happened for the toolpaths & ops manager to be more forward-looking.

With that said...

<RANT ON>

Now, if you'd ask whoever is in charge of the new tool manager, how they managed to design it without a gage line reference?! :realmad:

You can't interface to a tool presetter without a gage line.

They need to look at real Tool Management software like WinTool or TDM and talk to people actually using Tool Management software. http://www.wintool.c...et-Sample-E.pdf

Although I know gage reference point is in the plan, for now it was decided to stick with how Mastercam is already dealing with it internally, from the 0.000" position of the tool tip up. One of the biggest things about TM was that it was architected to allow easy access to our tool & holder databases from other applications, or to work as a framework to build off of. I'm not sure that it will ever get to the level that a large sized operation will use it to replace their Zoller setup, nor that we need it to, but I'm not the one in charge of vision :) But on the other hand, we do work with our partners like Zoller and such, and this will make their life a lot easier to get the data in & out of Mastercam.

To put it nicely, the new Tool Manager is a steaming pile and needs to be redone so it's actually useable.

The fact that it actually made it to a release version should be viewed as an embarrassment.

Now you're getting into the nebulous definition of "useable." Obviously, it's not suiting your needs in particular, but we've gotten great response to it from our smaller-shop customers, a lot of them were using a notepad and printing a setup sheet as their inventory & assembly control.. This has been a great boon to them. I don't think that anyone here believes that it's the be-all-end-all of tool management at the moment, and maybe it will never be everything for everyone, but you gotta admit it's a pretty damn handy utility that is scratching an itch that you guys have had for a while. This is the start of the response from user surveys and talking to you guys, the customers about their tool & holder management woes.

I'm ranting here to you because you're from CNC and the responsible parties don't seem to think communication with the install base is important.

I don't see that as the case at all, but of course, my view is tinted... From my perspective, you guys have an awesome support network to call up (your resellers), you can get in touch with QC, and there's a reasonably active culture of CNC employees here on the forum. Obviously, we pale in numbers compared to the awesome users here, who generally will get to an answer before we can, but there's still plenty of avenues to engage directly with us. Tradeshows, rollouts, dealer meet & greets are all other ways of doing it, of course.

Reporting bugs is all well and good but there is ZERO feedback from QC to ANYONE who reports a bug.

You can never tell the status of any bug you report to QC.

You have to hope that it gets done and then look at the release note for the next update.

I understand you're just ranting (hey, you warned us!), and it's just hyperbole, but again, I don't think that's the case at all.. Normally people can find out pretty quickly what the status of their bugs are by querying their dealers, contacting QC, etc, and often they're notified when their bugs will be patched. Sometimes here on the forum, when a relevant thread comes up. It's not as ideal as a CRM or anything, but who's to say that's not in the works, right? :)

<RANT OFF>

I hope you feel better :) I'm sure this will generate lots of comments, but just a note that we have a big reseller conference coming up next week, which I'll be pretty heavily involved in, so I won't get to peek in here too much. We really do love you guys and appreciate all you do, thanks for the good work!

Cheers,

"...and often they're notified when their bugs will be patched. Sometimes here on the forum, when a relevant thread comes up."

Aaron, not trying to poke the Tiger, but care to share one example of what you mentioned above? We can say Tim is closer to CNC QC and R&D than most "regular" users. It´s hard to imagine that what he and other users are reporting here are not fact based or the normal M.O.

Just saying... :whistle:

I understand you're just ranting (hey, you warned us!), and it's just hyperbole, but again, I don't think that's the case at all.. Normally people can find out pretty quickly what the status of their bugs are by querying their dealers, contacting QC, etc, and often they're notified when their bugs will be patched. Sometimes here on the forum, when a relevant thread comes up. It's not as ideal as a CRM or anything, but who's to say that's not in the works, right? %29.gif

Aaron, I truly appreciate that you responded.

However, I am calling BS on this for two reasons.

1) It is NOT the customers responsibility to constantly chase down an answer from either CNC or a Reseller.

That responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of CNC Software Corporate QC.

2) QC has historically been a black hole and still is.

I would like to point out how effortless and seamless the DP Technology system is.

All licensed users can register an account with DP and have access to a multitude of areas reserved for customers.

User simply have to fill out and submit their bug with any accompanied files directly through a CORPORATE support site.

It is instantly given a case number and forwarded to the appropriate dealer.

Users can see the status, at any time, simply by logging in to their account.

This account also gives them access to a closed user forum so people like Jon Banquer can't gum up the works.

The current system for Mastercam bug reporting and tracking is horribly inefficient and irreparably broken.

Defending the indefensible only makes you guys look really out of touch.

.....but you gotta admit it's a pretty damn handy utility that is scratching an itch that you guys have had for a while.

This is just plain horsexxxx.

if you think this is a handy utility then you have never used a real tool management system.

You wouldn't use a tool management software to replace your Zoller.

You use it to interface with it and actually setup and measure the tools! DUH!

Heck, you don't even need a computerized setter.

There are plenty of manual ones based on whatever taper you need.

The gage line lines up at the same place in the presetter as it would in the machine spindle.

That's the whole bloody idea!

You set and measure the tool to match the database and those numbers go directly into the offset table.

Heck, if the MC Tool Manager was done correctly, you could add the offset data to the posted output and have it loaded automatically.

If the MC Tool Manager followed the standard used by every other Tool Management system on Planet Earth,

bi-directional communication with products like WinTool and TDM would be a breeze.

Users could simply import complete libraries directly into Mastercam.

I can do this all day long with ESPRIT.

All the major tool companies already have their components libraries available for both WinTool and TDM.

I repeat, the new Tool Manager is a steaming pile that makes Rube Goldberg look like an efficiency expert.

It is obvious to me that not including a Gage Line reference was not done as a deliberate choice but merely happened out of sheer ignorance.

It was obviously specked out by someone who had no clue as to the importance of this.

Again, Defending the indefensible only makes you guys look really out of touch.

You guys REALLY need to spend more time in the trenches and start listening.

Most Respectfully, a frustrated Mastercam Fan-boi.

You set and measure the tool to match the database and those numbers go directly into the offset table.

Heck, if the MC Tool Manager was done correctly, you could add the offset data to the posted output and have it loaded automatically.

And how neat would this be!

This goes back to a point I said in the other thread - the resource of people on here is technically 1st class, and CNC should be listening to the wealth of experience here and inviting the chosen few to HQ for brain dump sessions.

I really believe it is a golden opportunity for YOU - EVERYONE here wanting to help YOU make YOUR product better - for US the Customer...

However, standing on the edge looking in, I do feel that it is only being taken as criticism, and probably overall will be ignored.

I really really really would love to be proved wrong on this.

• Like 1

Aaron, not trying to poke the Tiger, but care to share one example of what you mentioned above? We can say Tim is closer to CNC QC and R&D than most "regular" users. It´s hard to imagine that what he and other users are reporting here are not fact based or the normal M.O.

Just saying... :whistle:

Daniel - Hah! That's the first time I've ever been called a tiger :) Looking back on it, though, you're right that I haven't specifically called out bug #s on the general forum in a while. I don't believe you're in the beta forum, right? Most of the time I've gone to following up with people directly over PM on here or email, or in the Beta forum... I have said a lot of, "that'll be addressed in MU/SP/Whatever," in the public forum, but not called out the specific bug #, so touche'. :) I do know that I've seen others in here saying the same thing, "we know about that and it'll be fixed in this MU" or whatever, but it wasn't noteworthy enough for me to remember what threads.. There's also been specific calls out to tech support because of forum posts. There was a lot of feedback on the various x7 testing/preview threads as well..

Tim - I believe I specifically said that it wasn't as good as a CRM in my previous post, but I also said "who's to say that's not in the works, right?" (about a CRM)... Continuing to rant that the process isn't as good as a CRM isn't going to help much :) When we talk to people at the shows & rollouts, they seem to think things are alright. I realize that everything is awful when it comes to (any!) forums, but we really are listening to you guys and trying to make it better. It won't be instant, but progress is being made.

About the tool manager: It's a better front end to the same capabilities that Mastercam had before, as well as paving the way for interfacing to all of the tool management programs in a way we never could before. Again, I specifically said that a gage reference is in the plans, but for now it was chosen to work with the current information being passed to Mastercam. The Tool Manager (application) is merely the front-end to a HUGE pile of work that went into the back end of interfacing into the toolpaths, and overhauling their tool information. If you're already using a tool management program, it absolutely won't replace it, but if you're not using anything other than a notepad or excel sheet (which happens in a surprisingly large amount of shops!), it's way better than what you've got.

I know you're really stuck on how "bad" it is, but it's the first step towards making something more standards compliant, able to get proper information in and out of Mastercam in the first place. The point I was trying to make is that it is part of the roadmap for the product, but there was a huge underlayment of things that had to be fixed to work with it before hand.

I meant Zoller's PLM software, not their physical setting fixtures in my example, to show/talk about working with partners in the industry and how we were working with them to get the proper data into and out of Mcam :)

It's not defending the indefensible, it's not focusing on the negative. Statements like "This is just plain horsexxxx." and "was not done as a deliberate choice but merely happened out of sheer ignorance." are not constructive, nor are they true. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sincerely sorry, but they are working for other people in their current state and this is the first step in unifying the code stream driving the tool management in all of the toolpaths and mastercam, and as you can imagine, I hope, it's a huge and delicate project. Hopefully it will fit your needs better as it evolves.

This goes back to a point I said in the other thread - the resource of people on here is technically 1st class, and CNC should be listening to the wealth of experience here and inviting the chosen few to HQ for brain dump sessions.

I really believe it is a golden opportunity for YOU - EVERYONE here wanting to help YOU make YOUR product better - for US the Customer...

However, standing on the edge looking in, I do feel that it is only being taken as criticism, and probably overall will be ignored.

I really really really would love to be proved wrong on this.

We do our best to pay attention to everything we can on the forums, we'll miss some, of course, just due to the volume of activity, which is awesome :) We really value the partnership we have with you guys, especially those that have put in the time to be in the Beta program and to help us guide the development of the software during things like the user meetings we had developing the MT product and such. We do query people off of here and our friends in the industry (that don't hang out here too much) from time to time as well, as needed. I know that a lot of times, people feel like their input isn't being listened to because there's such a long time between releases that address their concerns, but unfortunately, that's the speed that software this complex is developed.

Either way, we do appreciate you guys, the guys leading product development over here all come from industry and we do listen to you guys :) I enjoy spirited debates such as this :)

Unfortunately, it's veered off topic from the original point of this thread, so let's try to get back on task for this one, being the webinar and content related to it.

If there's new concerns or questions, please start a different thread. As I mentioned previously, I won't be around much this week, but I'll try to catch up as I can throughout our crazy next two weeks.

Thanks!

Daniel - Hah! That's the first time I've ever been called a tiger :) Looking back on it, though, you're right that I haven't specifically called out bug #s on the general forum in a while. I don't believe you're in the beta forum, right? Most of the time I've gone to following up with people directly over PM on here or email, or in the Beta forum... I have saida lot of, "that'll be addressed in MU/SP/Whatever," in the public forum, but not called out the specific bug #, so touche'. :) I do know that I've seen others in here saying the same thing, "we know about that and it'll be fixed in this MU" or whatever, but it wasn't noteworthy enough for me to remember what threads.. There's also been specific calls out to tech support because of forum posts. There was a lot of feedback on the various x7 testing/preview threads as well..

Aaron, thanks for the reply. Appreciated. :beer:

• 1 month later...