Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting a .625 slot, not.

dannysdad

I have a family of parts that has a .625" width thru slot which I cut with a .625" insertable endmill. I set up my first slot which is 9.125" long and MC cut it in one pass...which is what I wanted. I exported the process to cut a different part with a 7.875" slot, same .625" width. No dice, I got a "Cutter compensation not sucessful" window and it would not process the cut. Same width, same tool...no changes were made with either. I have tried chaining it differently and still nothing. So I changed the dimension of the slot to .62501", and it worked...only it cut down the slot...then back up, two passes...I do NOT want two passes!!

Investigation followed. I went back to the original part, which cuts in one pass, deleted the original geometry for the slot and re-drew the EXACT same dimensions. Using the same process, I re-chained the new, EXACT geometry and I got the "Cutter compensation not sucessful" window again. This was on the original, WORKING process with the exact but replaced geometry.

I am completely stumped.

Thanks in advance

Hey kdgrills,

I tried that slot mill toolpath when I first got MC5. From what I recall, I had so many problems with it that I never tried using it again.

It has been a while, so I cannot remember what was wrong.

I actually just now noticed it, while selecting Circle Mill to chamfer some pillar holes.

I've never used it. Don't cut many slots here, when I do I'm most likely gonna helix down

it with a Contour path.