Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Kinda new to solids

K2csq7

So lets say I have a solid disc.

I want to put a bolt circle in the center, 6 holes with counterbores...

So whats the best way to create these counterbored holes?

Create solids of the counterbore and the thru hole (extended up and down past the top and bottom of the solid disc) then boolean remove?

Draw two circles. one for the thru hole and one for counter bore.

on the, "Disc" model select the thru hole, create solid, extrude solids, (solid settings) Cut Body, extend through out all.

next select the counter bore, and in the setting select "specified distance"

I got a X5 Solids book for TheeCircle™ members. It should be the same with X7. Let me know if you want it and I'll send it to you.

So,

Solid

Extrude

cut body

Select my cbore diameter and extrude the depth of the cbore then do it again for the thru hole?

You can also do a revolved cut. This is useful if you have a hole with, say a chamfer at the top, a step with a radius, a drill point at the bottom. With a revolved cut you do the hole with all it's details in one shot

K2,

I apologize for not posting a video more relevant to your question.

You are forgiven!

That is great. Mcam needs the ability for the user to specify what size screw you are drilling & c'boring for. (So you don't need to have a library of solids to use for c'bored thru holes.)

Thanks Pat!

You are forgiven!

That is great. Mcam needs the ability for the user to specify what size screw you are drilling & c'boring for. (So you don't need to have a library of solids to use for c'bored thru holes.)

Thanks Pat!

I agree but glad we can at least do this. X7 finally has some modeling functions that have been in the Parasolid kernel for a few years, so I'm glad to see that. Drafting is another area on my wish list for Mastercam but I would rather they concentrate resources on toolpath development.

My $0.02

Pat thank you for putting up something out of the box. Not the way I do it. I have tons of screws already modeled without threads I bring in all the time, but keeping a library of dummy remove solids was not something I thought to do. Good job that is what is great about a forum that is meant to help others. People forget that sometimes good to see others doing it. :unworthy:

Pat take a look at the Verisurf MBD functionality in the Free Tools. I think you will like the fact Verisurf looks to the model and not wireframe to give you dimensions and information about a part. It also treats all of the created dimensions as 3D. It needs some more functionality added to it, but it does a great job.