Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

mastercam for solid works eliminate 1 position for cad\cam?

nor draw

Nor Draw are you a programmer or designer now? Sure you could train to do both jobs but both have a special skill set. Being a programmer isn't just about throwing toolpaths on a part and posting the code. Just like designing a part isn't just about drawing some arcs and lines. Both require a decent amount of training to get be good at them.

As for Mastercam for SolidWorks I personally find it to be slower then the stand alone version of Mastercam. Of course you can always import your SoldWorks parts into Mastercam and work on them in Mastercam to create toolpaths and cut your parts. With that being said I don't have the greatest computer in the world (not that I am complaining) I am sure with a better computer (one with more RAM and perhaps a better video card) would run Mastercam for SolidWorks smoother.

MCfSWX is really a great fit for specific types of machine shops. For example mold shops or prototype shops. These two work closley with their engineers and see frequent modifications to their designs. There is no need to have MCfSWX to design and program your parts. Like Chris said, draw your parts in Solidworks and then import into Mastercam. Or you could just use Mastercam to design your parts. I can draw anything in Mastercam that can be drawn in SWX.

" I can draw anything in Mastercam that can be drawn in SWX."

I doubt it. MC lacks the tangency control, curvature combs, ability to extrude non planer chains and so forth. Lofting with center spines or guide curves is MC, how's that gonna happen? Ever use the flex command in SW?

One thing that is absolute, I can ride a bicycle to work everyday, but I have better options for that task.

One thing that is absolute, I can ride a bicycle to work everyday, but I have better options for that task.

This is why it's called MasterCAM and not MasterCAD. Don't get me wrong, MC gives you a lot of great design tools that come in really handy for machinists. Matter of fact, up until about 6-7 years ago it was my primary CAD system. Now because I do a lot more design work than I used to, CATIA gets a lot more seat time on the design side than MasterCAM. My work load at work dictates when I need to drive a car, drive the car, when I need to ride a bike, ride the bike. More often than not, CATIA is the proper tool for what I'm doing. I could most certainly do the jobe strictly with MC but I would not be nearly as efficient. And for me, efficiency is everything.

I use SolidWorks for all my design work... and I'll often just fire up Mastercam for Solidworks and cut it there too.

I can't do that all the time because I need my other programmers to be able to have access if needed

and I'm the only SolidWorks user addict in the shop.

I never used SW exclusively for drawing. If it can be modeled up in MC easily, that's where I stay. At first, SW can be frustrating without training / experience and may lead you to fall back on MC because it seems easier. That option is a welcomed one. You really need to put seat time in on both (any) apps to be able to make the call on where to model the part. BTW, I still like drawing wireframe in 3D space, in MC. I didn't realize how decent the MC drawing / modeling package was until I started using Gibbs and after seeing how things are constructed in that app, I can honestly say how are these guys (Gibbs) still around? Legacy users I guess.

" I can draw anything in Mastercam that can be drawn in SWX."

I doubt it. MC lacks the tangency control, curvature combs, ability to extrude non planer chains and so forth. Lofting with center spines or guide curves is MC, how's that gonna happen? Ever use the flex command in SW?

Sorry I should have generalized my statement but I was trying to make a point. Generally any part that is going to be directly machined can be modeled within Mastercam. And of course there are features, such as lofts, that are much more powerful in SW.

As for Mastercam for SolidWorks I personally find it to be slower then the stand alone version of Mastercam.

Chris - I'd like to hear a little more about this. What type of operations are you seeing that in?

And...one should also consider that if you have to make a significant design change, MCforSW is probably significantly faster because you aren't importing the modified SW file into a new session of MC and setting up all your operations again.