Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

spline help

tonyb

hello again,

I am making wheel hubs for my atv and I need to make an internal spline to match up with the axle. Have you guys ever had to put a spline on a part? What is the easiest way to create an internal spline? The Alxe OD is about an inch. Do they make a broach for this, if so do you know where to get one? Is there any way to machine it in? Any input would be great. confused.gif

Yeah they make a broch but the broach is problay going to cost anywhere from $350 to $500 dollars. I would recommend that you draw the shape and have it wire edm in the hubs I think in the long run it will be cheaper. Here are some links to broach makers.

Warren

Hassey Savage

American Broach

I hope that helps I have had great luck with Hassey Savage. Robert Savage is who I have dealt with in the Past. Tell him Ron Branch in Calforina via Jacksonville Florida told you to call him. He likes a print of the spline to be made to give you a price to make the tool.

Crazy Millman

[ 09-23-2003, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]

Thoughts:

The easiest way to make that ID spline is to broach it, but getting the correct broach could be challenging and pricey. Those things are easy to make by the zillion but a project to make two. Is it not possible to buy them? Do you just want something special?

Follow Iskander's train of thought to machine the shape in thin pieces then stack to get thickness.

Use spline portion of old hub and fit to new hub.

Reexamine how bad you want it. wink.gif

Grind a single tooth broach, chuck it up in a mill and gently pound away with the Z axis. eek.gif Rotate, repeat.

Edit: Good call on the EDM Crazy. I'm reverting to my blacksmithing roots to much. rolleyes.gif

[ 09-23-2003, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Harryman ]

Hell Harry I made a wedding ring for a guy one time out of gold plate on a wire edm. One time I also made me some custome clips for my blackouts for my front headlight on my S-10.

Blacksmiths make good parts too. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Kinda been down this road with the paper industry before making printing hubs that had to be hardered to 60 rc and all spilnes and bores had to be within .0005 finished not an easy feat when taking 75% of material off of the hubs.

Crazy Millman

We do a lot of internal splines on a hundred different types of parts. Most likely if this was some form of a production part at one time there will be a standard size slpine, and hence it can be shaped. (Of course when I say that I usually get bitten in the arse with a non standard size). Shaping is by far the cheapest way to go when it comes to making a spline. You can also have it EDM'd, but that gets a little pricey (300 - 500 would be on the definate low side of the scale). We also do some single tooth broaching of the spline like Harryman suggested, but that takes a ton of time and if you chip the edge off your broach you're sunk...I'd check with you local gearhouses and see if the part can be shaped first, or if you hace access to an EDM go that rout...its a wonder what a case or two of beer can get you afterhours at some of those places...

The only other limiting factor is the geometry at the end of the spline. Wire EDM requires that the major of the spline be visible from both ends of the part and there be no smaller ID in the HUB. Shaping requires some form of relief groove at the end of the spline to allow for chips to clear out. If your spline meets a shoulder directly, then the best way we've found to machine them is a carbon sink EDM (makes wire look cheap).