Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS randomly flipping

Kevin Kostiuk

I am using different WCS for different sides of blocks and it keeps changing on me. I have different machine groups for each side that i work on and when I move the red marker to a different group a lot of times the WCS will flip to another view. Also when I run classic backplot it will flip sometimes. I should also note that when I switch machine groups it does not switch to the WSC for that group it will go to a different one and it doesn't happen all the time. Does all this make any sense? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Kevin K.

Kevin, what Version of Mastercam? Got a sample file or screen shot? Not nothing something I have seen or see and I however work many times from the center of rotation on 4 axis and 5 axis machining for parts. Make sure you do not have Update Cplane and Tplane when changing Givew Checked on the CAD setting or Reset Cplane to Top in ISO Givew as this may be creating issues you are not aware they will do.

Well crap, that was easy. Thank You. This image shows what I am doing. So the question is, am I using it correctly?

Also usually on the "planes" page if I select a plane and then hit the arrows it will automatically populate the tool and construction planes with top, but sometimes it puts the plane I created in them instead and that seems to work fine but I don't know why it does that.

Thanks, Kevin K.

Kevin,

Use a new WCS for every operation.

Except rotary. Standard WCS for TOP (A0) then planes planes planes (previous quote from I think John P!!!) for your rotated faces.

So in a vice op 1 = 1st WCS (usually TOP)

Flip part and machine other face = 2nd WCS.

But once set in view manager, I would always change my view in Named Views.

Your problem maybe clicking on one of the standard WCS icon buttons on the top bar (TOP/FRONT/RIGHT etc). These can change things.

WCS still has mysteries to me. The general WCS (is world co-ordinate system) and you create other WCS's (work co-ordinate systems). And I know the help says you can create a new WCS (which maybe the bottom of a part) and click on the standard TOP WCS icon because you're now looking at the top of the bottom of the part blah blah, but although I know about it I still don't fully understand it :lol:

But if you change your views always using the named views icon, then all should be good.

:cheers:

I did have reset cplane to top in iso view turned on so I unchecked it. I already had update cplane and tplane when changing view unchecked. So I'll see what that does.

Thanks, Kevin K.

Try this,

Go to Settings/config./Cad settings

uncheck

update Cplane and Tplane when changing Gview

reset Cplane to Top in Iso Gview

I hope this helps.

I have both of those unchecked. So if I have multiple machine groups and each one has it's own wcs, should the wcs switch to the appropriate one when I move the red cursor into that machine group? Because that's what it looks like it's trying to do but it most always gets the wrong one. Not sure how to say that and make it less confusing. I recorded a video of my computer screen showing what happens but it does not seem to want to upload. It's right at 1 gb so I thought the size was ok. Maybe it doesn't like the .avi file.

Kevin K.