Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HSM Feedback

PE @ IHS

Could anyone that is trying out the CIMCO HSM pack please provide some feedback? I haven't had a chance to cut any metal with it yet, and would appreciate some more opinions on the product.

(spending Saturday night on Emastercam, babysitting 3 toddlers......I need a beer (and a life!)

Thanks

[ 09-27-2003, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Peter Eigler ]

quote:

(spending Saturday night on Emastercam, babysitting 3 toddlers......I need a beer (and a life!)

I am running back and forth between 2 buildings 5 miles apart keeping 2 CNC's going on a hot job....

*****reaches in the fridge and pops the top on a Miller Light*****

*****offers one to Peter****

***Gulp*****

AHHHH........much better biggrin.gif

Well got to go make the "rounds"....hehe biggrin.gif

Murlin teh burning up the highway tonite....

I've been using Cimco HSM for about 5 weeks now. The motion of the toolpaths are really nice and smooth, what I mean by that is all the paths always enter the material in a helical fashion. Tool path calculation is unbelieveably faster than normal MC, and is is also pretty darn stable. One of the biggest rewards is the leftover paths in roughing and finishing, it calculates it about a 1/4 of the time and usually has a great result from the start. We do a ton of hard milling on molds and I'm not quite sure how we got along without this add-on.

We have cut a few jobs with it. The leading on and off the part is great. It also eliminates dead stops in corners and rapid moves. It will follow the contour of the part in rapid moves. It does not work well with the WCS yet. and you can not use check surfaces. But it does put out nice toolpaths and is it fast. Does not give you much time while it is crunching numbers to come here and read up.

Jody

quote:

I believe that is correct is does not support anything in a different plane that top yet

well.... if thats the case I'm waiting. the world isnt flat. dont wanna be 1 sided ya know biggrin.gif

so far I like what I see. smooth cuts and excellent transition between cuts. I get minimal retractions in pocket ruffing which I have always had to fight with in the standard ruff pocket. Iv'e got some basic models I will continue to experiment with. your on the right track Cimco wink.gif

The long programs are because of lead in and outs from what I have seen. I also tightened up the tolerances when use it which would make a longer program. We use sneakernet (when ever possible) to get the programs to the hurco's. And drip feed only if we have to so I do notice the longer programs. I get a lot of griping from the guys 'it doesn't fit on disk. do i have to download it? can you do somthing it make it fit on disk? ' such fun!! these are the same guys that turn the spindle speed down because it is to whinie. mad.gif

Jody

When you first install the product it goes into C:Program FilesMastercam HSM Performance Pack.

The first time you run the PGM use the Alt C the riffle through the directories to the installed directory and launch from here. It then will ask you do you want to install this into your Chook Directory. From then on it runs from your Chook Directory. For anyone who didn't know there is a user guide.pdf and tutorial.pdf also installed to the C:Program FilesMastercam HSM Performance Pack also.

Regards Karl

may^day,

I also am having arc filter problems with this.

sent a file to my reseller and they will get back to me. I sent a file to them with mastercams filtered toolpaths. mastercam nci file was about 740kb, hsm nci 12.5 meg. There tool paths had some arcs, but not like mastercam. I know 12 meg

is not all transition moves!!!. Both had basically the same stepovers , etc...

I would like to add my comments on two details here. The 3+2 toolpaths (including boundaries) looks like they are working correctly in the latest "experimental" build of the Mastercam HSM Peformance Pack, so they should be in the next public release build, which should be out very soon.

We are aware of the arc problem, and we are looking to solve that problem.