Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

hole vectors

Joeyls319

Hello all

Got a question. I have a part with a number of various sized holes in it and all of them are at compound angles. My question is how can I create the vector lines for the center of the holes so I can create a toolpath to drill them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advanced

jJoey

Gentlemen,

Thank you so much for the ideas.

Crazy, Thanks for the link. It's a beautiful thing. that's exactly what I was looking for.

Love to update to X7 but that's up the employer. I just started and I don't know why they haven't updated yet.

again,thanks guys

Joey

• 2 weeks later...

While I loved and use(d) the free Verisurf hole axis tool, I have to say, the X7 option

is SO much easier and cleaner to use.

No longer do I have to delete and run the "findoverlap" c-hook, to clean up multiple centerlines created from every

modeled diameter, (c/bores, sinks etc.)

And can choose only the diameters you want.

But the Verisurf tool saved my butt many, MANY times and was much appreciated!

While I loved and use(d) the free Verisurf hole axis tool, I have to say, the X7 option

is SO much easier and cleaner to use.

No longer do I have to delete and run the "findoverlap" c-hook, to clean up multiple centerlines created from every

modeled diameter, (c/bores, sinks etc.)

And can choose only the diameters you want.

But the Verisurf tool saved my butt many, MANY times and was much appreciated!

With Verisurf you can also pick which features you want....I didnt know there was a way to "select all" :question:

Also the new auto hole axis does all that and so much more.

Funny people complain just to complain sometimes. A free tool that saved your butt, but yet you complain about something that is free. :old forum headscratch:

Here is a breakdown of the new Auto Hole Axis From Verisurf that is free.

Click on the Auto Hole Axis Here:

Slide1_zps1220e638.png

Then you have some options on what you want to do. When it 1st comes up it gives you a basic summary.

Slide2_zps3dff623e.png

Then if you want to select all holes quickly click on the select all holes and then bases off of what you have chosen for option you will then get those results.

Slide3_zpse0c92034.png

Then if you want more detailed information about those holes you can pick the Show Statistics button.

Slide4_zps6a59ee29.png

Now if you wanted to pick certain hole and see what they are you can pick them and it will do it that way as well.

Slide5_zpsf210e799.png

Hopefully that gives you some ideas what the Verisurf free tool does. Mastercam new Hole Axis is a great tool I am not pointing of what the free tools does to be against what they offer. I just wanted others to see what some of the different options are that the free tools gives uses with Solids, Surfaces and wireframe that might need them.

I'd like to see either verisurf or mastercam hole axis create a line that is on the axis but is above the solid face , i.e. pointing away from the hole as when you do any 5 axis drilling this is what you need to select , an endpoint of a line that is above the hole to be drilled as this sets the side the drill is working from.

Funny people complain just to complain sometimes. A free tool that saved your butt, but yet you complain about something that is free. :old forum headscratch:

Wasn't aware I WAS complaining. I was and am VERY appreciative of the tool and as I posted above, the flaw I encountered was of my own making.

:new forum Excuse the crap out of me

That is what the extend function does in the hole Axis. It will extend the line above the hole. There is also a pierce function that allows you to pick a line and get the point and hole normal that vector on the surface. Solids do not have normals which is direction inside or outside were as surfaces do.

HTH

Yes it does, but correct me if I'm wrong , when you select your point for 5 axis drilling it needs to be the end point of the axis line, this is where it would be good if the line only extended above the solid hole face.