Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2D high speed help!

AllenT

Hello everyone!

I have a square block with 2 open pockets ( colour # 9), what's is the most efficient way to rough them out? I have 2 tools, the 1" to rough out the wider channels, and the 3/8" to rough the small channels. What toolpath type do I have to have for dynamic rest mill with 3/8" cutter to go to the small channels? Thanks in advanced.

Allen

29.MCX-7

If you want to stick with two tools, I would use a dynamic core with a 1/2 EM then a dynamic rest with a 1/4 for the little channels. 1in EM in a 1 1/4 slot is not going to work very well IMO. You could also use peel mill with one tool (3/8 or 1/4).

Mike

Yup, it's another case where old school runs into new school

Thanks for your helps guys, the dynamic rest mill seems not to be the option in this case to cleanup the small channel? The blend and dynamic core with 3/8 cutter would be the best for this,but if I have a lot of open pockets,the dynamic core mill is the only choice? I prefer not to have lots of operations if I don't have to. Once again thanks so much for your inputs.

What difference does "a lot of operations" make if you are able to machine it faster?

All depends! Never think in absolutes.

If you're running one part and will never see it again, 5 inefficient ops take a lot less time to program than a 100 op perfect program. Undoubted will take longer on the machine, but net gain if you saved in the sum of program and run time, and have machine time over programmer time available.

I've programmed one-off parts so quickly, but so safe, so slow so "inefficient looking", yet could run lights out with no doubt. Sure machine wear, electricity cost, but you can get nearly free run time with a guaranteed good part where otherwise the machine would have sat waiting for a nicer quicker faster pretty program.

That said, I've also spent days programming just to shave seconds off a program. With 500,000 part runs that is justifiably time well spent. . :)

all depends.

• Like 1

All depends! Never think in absolutes.

If you're running one part and will never see it again, 5 inefficient ops take a lot less time to program than a 100 op perfect program. Undoubted will take longer on the machine, but net gain if you saved in the sum of program and run time, and have machine time over programmer time available.

I've programmed one-off parts so quickly, but so safe, so slow so "inefficient looking", yet could run lights out with no doubt. Sure machine wear, electricity cost, but you can get nearly free run time with a guaranteed good part where otherwise the machine would have sat waiting for a nicer quicker faster pretty program.

That said, I've also spent days programming just to shave seconds off a program. With 500,000 part runs that is justifiably time well spent. . :)

all depends.

+1

Heh, that brings back memories. An old manager came to me and said:

"That die cavity running... If we reprogramme and run it with this other tool, it will be about 45 minutes quicker"

"Sure, but it will take about an hour to reprogramme.... Your call"

:)

We are plastic injection mold shop, that's the different, most of the parts...we would never see them again, but I got your point Mr Jparis and all of you..thanks. By the way, I ran into the an article ....either on MMS or Cutting Tool Engineering, they stated that most...they mean most...of the Mastercam programmers become programmer just by looking at other programmers at work, do you guys have that kind of luck? I Did not, I got nobody to look at except 1 day overview when update to the newer version! How about people in here? Would you tell your stories?

Allen

I learned the basics of Mastercam version 5 (not X5 mind you) in the mid 90's at Dunwoody. I jumped from that right into being the programmer for a guitar maker for a few years, then a couple years at the local Mastercam reseller doing tech support, training, and sales demos. Except for some five axis training and asking the other support guys at the reseller it was all figure-it-out-on-the-fly after Dunwoody.

I started when my brother in-law bought it when it was quick silver and started playing with it , it was not till MC5 like Mathew did I get any training. I had been all ready running for years by then. I got my new boss at the time to buy MC and he got us or me I should say two days of training. one day mill and one day Lathe I spent most of the time in class helping the instructor with the other students. But most of my learning was hands on and as you mentioned working beside some others.After 25 years of using it I had a total of like 6 days of training at the dealers.

I have spent over 15 years teaching others now.

I memorized G-Code as a new operator and started programming simple jobs by hand while my parts were running. After I proved that my programs were good by hand typing them into an old tape controlled knee mill they tossed me at V5 (mid 90s). I learned through necessity and eventually got some training around X5 and now I program all 5 axis and lathe work in our shop with some 3 and 4 axis tossed in for good measure when the other programmers overflow. Mastercam gives you enough rope to hang yourself and a dozen or more ways to accomplish any one task. Personal style comes into play with every programmer I've worked with and that's one of the things that I love about Mastercam, it gives you the tools and it's up to you what you are willing to do with them.

• Like 1