Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

DNC off Memory Card -Mori 5100

TK-32™

Hey folks, I have a question for you. I hope you can help me.

We have a Mori 5100. I'm trying to run DNC off the memory card but it doesn't do anything.

According to the manual, (and other FANUC Controls) I set the I/O channel to 4.

We can transfer programs from the memory card to the control memory fine, but we can't run DNC. Do you guys know if it's possible?

When main program reads M198 it just stays in RUN/START mode but doesn't do anything.

Something odd I noticed is that it doesn't alarm out when it reads M198 and there's no memory card. It just stays in "START" mode but doesn't do anything. It should alarm out right?

Thanks in advance.

The force is not strong with me today.

Errrrrrrrrr :unsure:

Terminolgy here TK and I've never ran a mori only fanucs...

M198 is only a subprog, albeit an external sub program - yes?

So your main program will be in the control in auto mode, and when the control reads the M198 call, it jumps to the pcmcia memory card which has your external sub on it, and processes that until at the end of it when it sees your M99, it jumps back into the main program in the cnc controller. Correct?

So you can have as many M198 sub calls in your main program, and as many external progs that can fit on your memory card, and all will work hunky dorey. Yes?

So why DNC mode? Is this what fanuc calls tape mode?

So you have a pc and connected to rs232 and in tape mode hit the pc and then cycle start and the cnc reads one line at a time being dripped into the machine from the pc? That's tape mode as far as I know, also called DNC mode over the pond here.

But I would have thought the 1st way is the best - have a main prog in the control and call what you need as external subs via M198 off the card - with IO set to 4 (as you say).

HTH

Thanks for the replies.

NewbeX4, the code, M198 is the sub-program call code.

With the RS-232 we are able to send program back n forth but not run DNC.

Yes Allan, I forgot that part. I do call M198 P1(P1 is the number on the memory card)

Meh thinks it's an option we have to buy.

As we're now running X7, perhaps it should be Newbeeeeeee :D

TK - why do you want to run dnc and not from the flash card? I thought that running from dnc, the control only processed the 1x line it is being drip fed, and therefore no lookahead will work because the control can only 'see' the 1x line?

Just curious.

Guest MTB Technical Services

As we're now running X7, perhaps it should be Newbeeeeeee :D

TK - why do you want to run dnc and not from the flash card? I thought that running from dnc, the control only processed the 1x line it is being drip fed, and therefore no lookahead will work because the control can only 'see' the 1x line?

Just curious.

There is a look-ahead when using DNC as there is still a control buffer that is storing data.

The memory card implementation is completely under the control of the builder so it's possible to not have DNC configured for it.

One of the reasons I like Doosan is that it's included with every machine they make.

I did a Sandvik Modern Art of Milling event for Doosan and used the memory card for it.

I just had a simple M198 P call in a CNC resident program to the program on the memory card.

All the HSM stuff processes just fine as well

If RS-232 DNC isn't working then there is something wrong with the handshaking protocol and possibly the cable.

If you are using a USB to DB-25/DB-9 Serial converter, forget about trying to use a hardware handshake.

• Like 2
TK - why do you want to run dnc and not from the flash card?

Same question I'm wondering. More and more Mori is shipping it's machines with Mitsubishi controls. "Dr." :rofl: Mori and Inaba get along... :rofl: not so much. :rofl: Since the mid 90's the end game as been to get rid of FANUC all together. but I digress.

It could very well be that your machine has a Mits control and the procedure for running off the memory card will not be the same (if it's even possible). So, your mission should you choose to accept it is to find out what control is in the machine, then, if it's a FANUC, there's a topic that covers running from a memory card in great detail. It may be linked to above.

a Fanuc with a data server option will do the same thing i do it all the time on prove outs, i just re post from Mastercam and can go directly to the machine and restart the sequence without doing anything but searching the n number and hitting start, changing the program is just a few button pushes, its a very nice option and easliy worth the money if you do a lot of different parts of lower quantity that would require large programs, we still have 2 machines that dont have it and using the pcmcia card is just and extra step plus another variable to go wrong, both of the machines have been crashed in the past because that card got dirt an chips down in the pins and shorted out mid program plus also dealing with bent pins on readers and adapters have screwed me at crunch time

...both of the machines have been crashed in the past because that card got dirt an chips down in the pins and shorted out mid program ...

Now, I've seen some crazy $#!+ in my day, I won't go so far as to say I've seen everything, but I can say with absolute certainty that this is theeeeeee first time I have ever heard of chips getting in the pins MID CYCLE and shorting out mid-program. I mean I guess if coolant is splashing on your control, then anything is possible but... this one is SERIOUSLY hard to believe. I mean I'm a relative n00b, only been in manufacturing since the early 90's but still.

i didnt mean they worked their way down in mid cycle, they had accumulated and so happened to short out mid cycle, on fanuc horizontals with controls on the right side of the operator door, the card reader is right next to the door on the left side of the screen , the card gets blasted all day with debris and coolant if your opening the door to check tools and part features, removing accumulated chips, etc.

I love mazak they look right to the server. post and run, no sending or moving files, it should be that easy!

Wait until you need service...and then wait some more.

Can't stand the control.

WAY too many parameters and no two machines from the factory are ever setup the same way.

It's as if Mazak has a random PLC generator.

Having a machine that's network ready is completely under the control of the machine builder.

Doosan also includes a direct network interface with every new machine.

The problem with this in many large companies is IT rules that prevent direct contact to the network.

There has to be a proxy server used to handle the FTP.

That's the case with every major Energy Services company here in the Oil Patch.

i didnt mean they worked their way down in mid cycle, they had accumulated and so happened to short out mid cycle, on fanuc horizontals with controls on the right side of the operator door, the card reader is right next to the door on the left side of the screen , the card gets blasted all day with debris and coolant if your opening the door to check tools and part features, removing accumulated chips, etc.

FANUC doesn't make Horizontal Machining Centers.

The placement of the control, the actual keypad, control layout and all interfaces is strictly the choice of the machine tool builder.

FANUC has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

mtb, im sorry i should have stated that correctly and clearly, ones a 2001 doosan dhp400 and the other is a 2001 kitamura hx400, but really any manufacturer that puts the fanuc control on the right side of the the door the card is in the line of fire,especially when the operator pivots the control out of the side of the machine

Thanks for the replies.

Yes Allan, I forgot that part. I do call M198 P1(P1 is the number on the memory card)

Meh thinks it's an option we have to buy.

The P designation must be 4 digits (P0001)

If I understand correctly you are trying to call a program that is stored in user area from Nc Memory area. if you can transfer files between the two then I think you settings are correct but may want to make sure it is pointing to User area.

DNC mode is not required and wont work with M198 call. you must have a program in Nc side with the M198 call to program in User memory.

note if I am on track with your problem and all looks good we have had problems with this that I could not completely pin down but had something to do with headers in programs. Work around was to simply delete the headers (man readable at beginning of program).

hope this helps, could be an option but I dont think so????

Doug

Hi TK,

You mentioned the machine was a Mori, but did you call out the make and model of the Mori controller?

Mori has Mitsubishi, Fanuc and Yasnac backend controllers and depending on the specific model of controller you have (MSX, MSC, etc), this will provide some insight.

Generally, I have seen M198 being used on Fanuc controllers and is an "external" call using DNC software. Most DNC products will handle it as we have a few customers using it now in aerospace with success.

I believe this is a Mitsubishi control. The other day, some Mori sales guys were in the shop and asked us if we needed help in anything, I said, "yes, I want to DNC off the card"

They got on the phone with their tech and tried to set it up. It still didn't work. I think it's an option that needs to be turned on because we can't even DNC from a desktop PC.

Ended up moving the setup to another machine

post-19113-0-00477500-1391463697_thumb.jpeg