Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aligning my part with a Haas probe

Thad

I don't have the model number here at home with me, but I have the Renishaw wireless probing system on my Haas. It's the standard probe/touch off presetter that Haas sells with their machines. My boss is under the impression that you can use the probe to "square up" your part for machining.

Say the part is sitting .010 out of square. The probe will bump it in two places to determine how the part is sitting and from that, establish a plane. This is supposed to save setup time since you don't have to indicate each part in. I believe CMM guys do this to establish datums to inspect a part. Anyway, from what I've read through the manual and what I've seen in the probing pages on the Haas control, I don't think this is possible. Any ideas?

Thad

i would think that would be able to work with g68 coordinate rotation on a haas, i made my own macro on a mazak that had one years ago, probe 2 points and calculate the angle off in the axis and enable g68 with the calculated angle difference, i dont remember the program specifically , but that was the concept

Like Brandon said, It is possible using G68 coordinate rotation. You can use an corner or single angle surface macro (not in quick code but in the machine). PM me and I will send you the Renishaw inspection plus for Haas macro manual and it will spell it all out. Remember, there are limitations to what you can do in G68 mode. One being no more probing.

Mike

It can be done with the correct program. Years ago I ran a Mazak and it had what it called an X-Y corner probe. It would bump one in X and twice in Y at a specified distance. Then it would shift the program to whatever angle the part was sitting. It was a great time saver when working with larger parts strapped to the table. Of course you had to be relatively close. Could not have the par skewed by a ton as the probe would hit as it move across the part to bump its second Y probe.

My boss is under the impression that you can use the probe to "square up" your part for machining.

To a degree!

It is normal that you align your part or fixture to the machine coordinate system manually.

Probes can be used to set a parts origin, which is useful if you have to pick up and set the origin on every part on a production job.

3 Axis Machine Tool Probing is not used for setting the pitch, yaw, roll orientation of a part to the machine coordinate system.

However it’s possible but not that common to use the G68 coordinate system rotation option, this is only for rotation about the Z axis.

You would need to create a probing macro to calculate an angle from two probed points and use that angle with a G68 X0 Y0 R#N in the part program.

I found this post.

http://www.cnczone.c...shaw-probe.html

Yes if you have the software activated you can align your stock.Contact your HAAS retailer first. If you have no success with that contact RENISHAW they can help you.

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I use the probe now for setting work coordinates. You're saying that there is additional software that has to be activated? Do you know if there is an extra charge for the activation?

Thad

Here is some code I wrote for our VM3 to pick up a cylindrical part that had a flat we needed to time to.

%

O00399 (G68 PROBING)

T1 M06 (PROBE)

G90 G00 G57 X0 Y0.125

G43 H01 Z2.

G01 Z0.2 F20.

(Probe Z Surface)

(WrkOfset = 57.)

G00 G90

G65 P9023 A9. S57.

X0 Y0.

(Probe Boss)

(WrkOfset = 57.)

(Diameter = 0.6)

(ZDepth = -0.7)

G00 G90

G65 P9023 A2. D0.6 S57. Z-0.7

G00 Z0.5

X-0.3 Y-1.

G01 Z-2. F20.

(Probe Y Plus Surface)

(WrkOfset = 55.)

G00 G90

G65 P9023 A7. S55.

G01 X0.3 F20.

(Probe Y Plus Surface)

(WrkOfset = 56.)

G00 G90

G65 P9023 A7. S56

G00 Z2.

G00 X0 Y0

#100= #5242

#101= #5262

#102= #101 - #100

#103= #102 / 0.6

#104= ATAN[ #103 ]

G04 P5.

G17

G68 R#104

G91 G28 Z0.

G90

M00

M98 P311

G69

M30

I guess I'm spoiled because I do this on my Deckel every day with canned software. :harhar:

Mount a part or piece of stock anywhere on the rotary table.

Touch two points with the probe along any flat edge.

Set C zero to align those two points to either X or Y axis, or assign a radial value.

Same procedure works with a vise.

Mount the vise on the rotary table.

Touch two points along the fixed jaw.

Set C zero to align the vise jaw with either the X or Y axis.

It is a HUGE time saver!!! :cheers:

Of course, running a Haas is kinda like ridin' one of these ----> :scooter:

:harhar:

Ok I do have a couple of serious Haas questions:

1. Can the Renishaw probe and / or toolsetter be retrofitted to a Haas machine that did not have it factory installed?

2. Can you have either the probe or toolsetter retrofitted, or do they function together?

• Like 1

I guess I'm spoiled because I do this on my Deckel every day with canned software. :harhar:

Mount a part or piece of stock anywhere onro to align the vise jaw with either the X or Y axis.

It is a HUGE time saver!!! :cheers: [/Quote]

Tell me about it. We just got a new DMU50 with a probe and a laser...anybody wants to buy some indicators and edge finders?