Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL is even more horible

oneyankfan1

I know many of you stock model haters may not like this suggestion, but the easy workaround for this .stl from simulation issue is the following:

Import your .stl file onto a specific level.

Create a stock model from the .stl mesh you just imported

Right click on the stock model operation - mill toolpaths - and select -stock model export to stl- or make another level active and select -stock model convert to pmesh

I know it's a workaround, and that sucks, but it will only take about a minute to keep things moving until the fix is released.

• Like 2

I know many of you stock model haters may not like this suggestion, but the easy workaround for this .stl from simulation issue is the following:

Right click on the stock model operation - mill toolpaths - and select -stock model export to stl- or make another level active and select -stock model convert to pmesh

I know it's a workaround, and that sucks, but it will only take about a minute to keep things moving until the fix is released.

I will try it thanks.

This worked fine. Its the long way around but it worked thankyou. Still hoping the MU2 patch fix comes soon.

why not create a stock model directly from the stl?

The problem that I have with Stock Model is that it works fine until things get more precise and the models are more organic with many different toolpaths. It is a fantastic tool when working with simple parts or a handful of toolpaths. I work with multiaxis complex shapes with at least 100 toolpaths. The first few stock models are great and then it just starts spinning and crashing after it gets more complex. This has happened in all versions of X7, 3 entirely different computer systems, and default settings, posts, etc... I have worked with my reseller and Mastercam for months on this issue and there have been no answers or resolutions to the problem.

I still love stock models and I use them all the time. I just can't use them on my more complex jobs.

The problem that I have with Stock Model is that it works fine until things get more precise and the models are more organic with many different toolpaths. It is a fantastic tool when working with simple parts or a handful of toolpaths. I work with multiaxis complex shapes with at least 100 toolpaths. The first few stock models are great and then it just starts spinning and crashing after it gets more complex. This has happened in all versions of X7, 3 entirely different computer systems, and default settings, posts, etc... I have worked with my reseller and Mastercam for months on this issue and there have been no answers or resolutions to the problem.

I still love stock models and I use them all the time. I just can't use them on my more complex jobs.

Thankyou I couldnt have put it better myself.

why..

make a stock model from your stl,file

take your screen shot

delete the stock model

what's the problem??

Then the root scrren shot is gone that I use for the origonal setup sheet and if I need it in the future for what ever reason its gone, and things change all the time on the parts I program (revision changes). The real question is why are you hell bent against a simple stl process? Saving a stl then merging it into mastercam is quick and easy. My problem is that alot of people use stl's (obviously from these post's) and if you did big, coplex parts you would understand, its like i mentioned earlier, you seem to want to force feed stock models on people that WANT stl's. WHATS THE PROBLEM?

• Like 1

The problem is you came in here slamming the stock model off the bat. I'm sure we all agree that the bug MUST BE FIXED ASAP. We ARE NOT defending the bugs you discovered, but WE ARE defending a very useful feature that enhanced the capabilities of the software that puts the food on our tables.

It's no secret that I have slammed this software in the past for it's constant policy of not fixing bugs in the past, but in the last year, I have been shocked and pleased with the 180° change in their direction of improving the quality of this product. I am NOT gonna slam them for new features that work very well.

I also use the .stl from simulation on very complex models that contain several picking operations with tiny cutters and tight tolerances. If a stock model starts dragging down my workstation, common sense is to take over with plan B. That's part of learning your software. Experience is everything.

my current project is a Ø59" impeller.. 2 files with posted code running 80+meg..

the stock weighs 4500 pounds.. the finished part weighs 1100 pounds

nothing big or complex to see here.

I could care less whether you use STL, stock model or a ouiji board.

My only problem is I'm stupid enough to try and help a hot head like you..

I won't make that mistake again

Problem solved... have a nice day

• Like 3

Tell us how you really feel G :smoke:

But seriously, if you have a pretty solid PC, figuring out stock model and implementing it into your programming process is the way to go IMO. Yeah they take a while to gen but it's all free with the multithreading anyway . Also, you do know you can output a stock model to .STL right? The quality is pretty nice. That being said, CNC should either fix it immediately because the quality is embarrassing IMO.

Mike

my current project is a Ø59" impeller.. 2 files with posted code running 80+meg..

the stock weighs 4500 pounds.. the finished part weighs 1100 pounds

nothing big or complex to see here.

I could care less whether you use STL, stock model or a ouiji board.

My only problem is I'm stupid enough to try and help a hot head like you..

I won't make that mistake again

Problem solved... have a nice day

You came in here and said "Ignorance is bliss" you call that help, you sir are a jack a@@ and if that is the help you are going to give keep it. The only reason things got heated is because of your attitude, the proof is on this thread, just read it.

The problem is you came in here slamming the stock model off the bat. I'm sure we all agree that the bug MUST BE FIXED ASAP. We ARE NOT defending the bugs you discovered, but WE ARE defending a very useful feature that enhanced the capabilities of the software that puts the food on our tables.

It's no secret that I have slammed this software in the past for it's constant policy of not fixing bugs in the past, but in the last year, I have been shocked and pleased with the 180° change in their direction of improving the quality of this product. I am NOT gonna slam them for new features that work very well.

I also use the .stl from simulation on very complex models that contain several picking operations with tiny cutters and tight tolerances. If a stock model starts dragging down my workstation, common sense is to take over with plan B. That's part of learning your software. Experience is everything.

I didnt slam the stock model, its like all things it has it uses, i was adamant about not wanting to use a stock model, there is a differance, and X7 did improve alot of things. It seems to me that gcode gets offended when i dont want to use what he uses, and when i voice that its stupid and his way is the only way, (must be nice to work with him). This is a forum for community help and voicing issues, not peeing contests. "MY ways better! NO MINE!" I just wanted a fix to something i have used a for long time. To all those that REALLY helped and didnt call me names like a high school girl - THANKYOU!

You came in here and said "Ignorance is bliss" you call that help, you sir are a jack a@@ and if that is the help you are going to give keep it. The only reason things got heated is because of your attitude, the proof is on this thread, just read it.

LOL. He said "ignorance is bliss" in response to your outrage over being "force fed the stock model scam".

the only name I called you was hothead... which you validate with every post you make.

and if you think stock model is a scam, you really are ignorant because you don't know how to use it

You called me ignort, and i do know how to use it, and make one, you just want to project yourself as a know-it-all and without fault at starting this, which in my travels means you dont (hence 20,625 posts). I've encountered you before anyway, your in cnc softwares pocket, and might as well be on the pay roll, you are ready to knife fight anyone that says anything bad about mastercam, and all you offer to me is crap, you act like your above people and if they havent programed for 35 years they are idiots, so keep your opinons to yourself and if you cant help go away.

the only name I called you was hothead... which you validate with every post you make.

and if you think stock model is a scam, you really are ignorant because you don't know how to use it

+1000 Don't worry gcode, most of us still love ya man. :thumbsup: