Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Entry level 5 axis

cincy k

Could you integrate a zero point system into the table on the mx520? So you don't loose travel range.

This would be a neat set-up for a family of 4 or 5 parts all programmed with the same tool library.

Swap out the 'pallets' and away you go.

Or you could go for the ceiling high auto stacker...

Jergens ZeroPoint system is cool BUT it is seriously thick. 30~57mm. I kind of prefer the Lang system for that reason. 27mm is the height of their system.

I'm guessing the guy typed something in a translator and it didn't come out quite right. :D

I use the Lang system on my Haas trunnion and Both Koma rotary tables and I love them. They work fantastic and I don't have anything but good to say about them. One thing I really like about the zero point system is that it is pneumatically operated which means it would be really easy to add an electric solenoid valve and now you have a standard pallet interface that can be opened and closed by a robotic arm with a relay and an M-code. I have two of the Schunk Vero-S units for this very reason. I did some research and I much prefer the Schunk units over Jergens or Big Kaiser. Far superior design in my opinion.

The Schunk units are thick as well, ~55mm or so.

I have seen that and there were a few things I didn't like about it. First, it would have trouble loading my tombstones or rotary in my horizontal machine, second I would be restricted to those small plates. I do like the idea though. Any idea what the ballpark cost of that system is in the 20 unit size? The loading areas for my horizontal machine and Makino vertical are facing each other and there is about 8' between them. It would be perfect to place a robotic arm between the two and have it service both machines. Super flexible and if the pallet interface was standard, all the robot would be doing is picking and placing pallets vs. individual raw stock.

Jergens ZeroPoint system is cool BUT it is seriously thick. 30~57mm. I kind of prefer the Lang system for that reason. 27mm is the height of their system.

I'm guessing the guy typed something in a translator and it didn't come out quite right. :D

This is why I was thinking of integrating the receiver directly into the table. I just don't know if it can be done.

What did you see as major differences between others and the schunk? I have two Jergen's units. I liked these particular ones because they had an indexing feature on them where you could put a pull stud in a single part and an offset dowel and not have the part spin on you.

What did you see as major differences between others and the schunk? I have two Jergen's units. I liked these particular ones because they had an indexing feature on them where you could put a pull stud in a single part and an offset dowel and not have the part spin on you.

I liked how the clamping plungers interfaced with the pull studs. The contact angle is 15 degrees so there is much more pulling force on the pull studs and it is a surface to surface contact instead of ball bearings contacting a surface at 45 degrees. I also like that the Schunk units have the 'turbo' function where you can apply air pressure to another inlet and it increases the clamping force by ~3-4X. I'm not sure how the other brands are but the Schunk pull studs are tapered at the top and they drop into a tapered socket so there will never be any binding to get them to release. All of these things considered it made it an easy choice for me. I have had great luck with all of the Schunk products I have bought over the years. Very well made stuff, and well designed.

I liked how the clamping plungers interfaced with the pull studs. The contact angle is 15 degrees so there is much more pulling force on the pull studs and it is a surface to surface contact instead of ball bearings contacting a surface at 45 degrees. I also like that the Schunk units have the 'turbo' function where you can apply air pressure to another inlet and it increases the clamping force by ~3-4X. I'm not sure how the other brands are but the Schunk pull studs are tapered at the top and they drop into a tapered socket so there will never be any binding to get them to release. All of these things considered it made it an easy choice for me. I have had great luck with all of the Schunk products I have bought over the years. Very well made stuff, and well designed.

What series of the Vero S did you buy? The NSE mini looks interesting for it's slim profile.

http://www.gb.schunk.com/schunk/schunk_websites/products/VERO-S_EN/NSE-mini-for-small-applications.html?country=GBR&lngCode=EN&lngCode2=EN&r=1

I bought the NSE-T plus 138. I looked at the mini but they don't have much in the way of clamping force and with these going on the Makinos I will be running them pretty hard.

Do you see anywhere on the flange area that you could put a hole or chore for a timing pin? So you could potentially run a single fixture on one clamping unit and not be worried about it spinning? Or take a part on a vmc setup for one op and put it on a rotary for another op.

Do you see anywhere on the flange area that you could put a hole or chore for a timing pin? So you could potentially run a single fixture on one clamping unit and not be worried about it spinning? Or take a part on a vmc setup for one op and put it on a rotary for another op.

Yes, there is plenty of room and I thought I saw a picture in one of their brochures showing this.

I'll say this; FANUC had some issues a while back with a batch of spindle motors being out of balance and it caused a few spindles to prematurely fail in the field. The failure started in the upper bearings and eventually transferred to the lower bearings. I'm not a service guy but usually it goes the other way.

I can't speak for Camplete, but you can with Vericut. The level of detail is amazing. To the point where you can actually watch Vericut update the machine parameters as it processes the macro.

Is this part of verification or machine simulation or is it a separate module?

Vericut can but it is an additional module that must be purchased.

Are you using custom drill cycles for integrating probing into your part cycle? Are you using it for setup or for in process adjustments as well? Any inspection?

Are you using custom drill cycles for integrating probing into your part cycle? Are you using it for setup or for in process adjustments as well? Any inspection?

Yes, I wrote it into my post. It was a few weeks of work but worth every second. I can post out probing routines as custom drill cycles and I use them for setting work offsets for 3-axis, 4-axis (DFO), and 5-axis (DFO) machines. DFO is Dynamic Fixture Offset and the probe cycles for the 4 and 5-axis posts measures the feature and populates the appropriate offsets using G10 commands. I also use them for measuring features and checking tolerances and it works extremely well. I can set up a probing operation as quickly as I can set up a spot drilling operation.