Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thread Chamfering/Deburring

shane mason

The purpose of this exercise is to remove the sharp edge created at the beginning and end of screw cut threads.

Currently we are achieving this using SMARTCAM VER 7 with a manual programming USER EVENT, which allows you to type in directly the specific NC code for the operation.

i.e. (G76 X…Z…I…K…D…F…)

In lay mans language, a tapered thread cycle is performed, which is 1 pitch in length. Using a 4mm flat groove tool, at the start of the cycle, the X value would be the minor diameter, and after 1 pitch the X value would the major diameter.

This produces a flat, on the top of the first thread which removes the sharp edge.

When saved with the tool path file, this addition is appended as part of the code.

My question is, does anyone know how to achieve this same result in MATERCAM 9.1

confused.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You can insert code much in the same manner with "Manual Entry". Just put it in before or after the "Operation" and you're good to go - provided your post is configured to handle Manual Entries.

HTH

I assume this is lathe single point work.

If so, I use a full profile lay down insert which forms the top of v thread with a slight radius.

If your cutting a square or acme, they may also have full profile inserts, but I have never checked.

After rereading your thread, you want the first thread tapered and burred. So, ignore above, and do what James said.

[ 10-16-2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Andy ]

quote:

You can create this type of thread using the Thread mill operation. On the Thread Mill parameters of the operation there is a Taper angle that can be set.

This is what they suggested?? I see from the code (G76) that this is a turning programm so thread milling is not an option here.

The effect that you are trying to create is interesting indeed. What I would do though is to bore the hole with the chamfer and thread afterward. I know that you want the thread lead to follow some taper and gently come onto the shaft but the alignment of the mating parts in the assembly can be controlled by the slight taper on both parts as well.

I have not tried this - but I think that you could add in a secondary threading cycle that was configured as a "Pipe" thread and that should do the trick - given that the start/end/compounding points are all the same. Post may need a little massaging as well to get the format as you want it.

• 8 years later...