Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 wcs origin

mig

I am so glad they did that. Copy the one you want and use the copy. The default views are not changeable anymore from my understanding and I for one am glad that changed. I always teach people make a copy of the default views to use for a WCS never the original view. That way you always have your base views to go back to. Another trick is to make a copy of the top and the use the relative button and you will get copies of the other views you can then use pretty quickly just unchecked top. The relative does not recognize it is making a copy of a view that already exist. Kind of like the Solids logic for tool paths. Yes you are going to do a 3D toolpath on a solid and still have to tell Mastercam yes I am wanting to use a Solid even if a Solid is the only thing on the screen.

• Like 1

I am so glad they did that. Copy the one you want and use the copy. The default views are not changeable anymore from my understanding and I for one am glad that changed. I always teach people make a copy of the default views to use for a WCS never the original view. That way you always have your base views to go back to. Another trick is to make a copy of the top and the use the relative button and you will get copies of the other views you can then use pretty quickly just unchecked top. The relative does not recognize it is making a copy of a view that already exist. Kind of like the Solids logic for tool paths. Yes you are going to do a 3D toolpath on a solid and still have to tell Mastercam yes I am wanting to use a Solid even if a Solid is the only thing on the screen.

I hear you Ron with the copy thing, but I really wish we could either rename them or just append the name eg

TOP (G54 A0)

FRONT (G55 A270)

or whatever.

I understand that rename maybe a huge load of software re-write but just to be able to add a description would be sooooo good.

• Like 1

I hear you Ron with the copy thing, but I really wish we could either rename them or just append the name eg

TOP (G54 A0)

FRONT (G55 A270)

or whatever.

I understand that rename maybe a huge load of software re-write but just to be able to add a description would be sooooo good.

You can rename them I have for years. Go to the View Manager click on the one you want to rename and right click on it and then rename. Also in X8 you can rotate them with increment or dynamically which is nice without having to create a new one. Still no way to reorder them after they are created, but heard it is coming. Oh and you can now lock and unlock a WCS which is a cool feature.

Rename the standard views???

I thought the names were locked...

Oh sorry I thought you were referring to the copied or new views. I am back to I want the base stuff left alone and everything i do for new stuff needs to be changed. Easy to see if I make mistake have a base to go back to. I start changing the base points of reference real hard to know if I messed something up or if it is something else going on.

So in that case Ron, appending would be the best option?

The TOP still stays as top, but it can have a helpful addition to it?

Yes in my opinion that is the best course of action. I look at what does the system do. It has a locked process for the base coordinates for naming them. That means they have some internal logic set in the software that looks to those names. That tells me from a programming stand point things in the software must look to those names, not the structure or places in 3D space they represent. 1st key to me okay base numbers of math calculations for the formula to work. Like basic formula for a sine curve you change anything in the base formula not getting the correct sine curve output. I look at the MP language and other things and see the mathematical process and the structure and it has made me think for years the whole structure of Mastercam has a math based logic as much as a computer language logic. There are tons of clues using the software the dictate I am correct in my thinking. The bases or the core structure for the WCS and everything else must have a constant fixed point to work from. Those fixed points are the original views. They in my thought process act as the anchors. It to me is like looking at Earth for us that is where we all form or perspective about the world and the universe and beyond. Without here we have noting to come back to. All thing off of earth still use earth as the base point. The base views in Mastercam are the place holders. Start messing with them you start seeing some weird stuff go on. Leave them alone and all the weird stuff goes away. I sure that is why the decision was finally made to lock it down. The tools are there to do what anyone needs, but everyone kept going to the base of the software and knocking out the foundations. From there is was more a less and again this is just my observations hit or miss as to what was going on. Now by keeping a base matrix and logic loop syntax in place everything has it place holder or foundation to build from. I suspect you will see a lot more stability moving forward because something that needed to be fixed all along is finally be sorted out. Again I may be way off bases and everything I needed to see to build that logical conclusion just happen to fall in place and all the random things I have seen over the years I could never really put my finger on that helped me form this conclusion where just that random, but the fact it is more locked down helps build that conclusion even more.

Okay now for some major enhancements I am others would like to see here. Sub Folders for the View manager like we have in the Operations Manager. Color Assignment to the rows that mimic the color assigned to the WCS. Carrying over of bases Work offset if relative is used to set a group of WCS Views from the Base. Logical understanding if we are using Relative then more and likely one of those views already exist no need to make another copy of that original one. Ability to rearrange or sort the views. Locking of the View manager like the Operations manager not the Level manager. Stays ups until closed not close on the esc key because that is so engrained into using the software you have wore 20 keyboards out on that very key alone. Font control like in the Operations Manager. (Asked for this on the Levels Manager for years) :question: Sure there are many others if I gave it some more thought.

Hopefully I did not get to far off track, but Yes Leave Top, Front, Back, Left, Right, Bottom as they are and build you changed ones from there.

I'm glad they locked this down, modifying the stock views has caused me all sorts of grief. This should be a positive step in multi plane work.

I'd really like to see the view manager be dockable, no idea why its not, drives me bonkers. Its really bad when you have over 20 custom views.

Ron's ideas for sub folders and color coding in the view manager would be kick@ss.

Also if they could make the create wcs by geometry, solids etc more robust that would be great. IE, should always maintain associativity unless you select otherwise.

Newb you know you can enter notes for the custom planes in the comments section of the views manager.

Yep - this is what we do.

But it would be better if we could add the workshift number and index angle (for instance) adjacent to it. Just easier to see.

but what about the thousands of existing files that have a different origin points in say the bottom or front view?

A new Plane is created for those cases.

Say I have a X7 file with an Origin of X1, Y2, Z3 set on system TOP.

I load that file into X8 and I now have a TOP-1 with that origin.

The primary (TOP, FRONT, BACK, BOTTOM, RIGHT SIDE, LEFT SIDE, ISO) Planes are system Reserved Planes

Reserved = "locked" if you wish to think of it that way.

Edited by Roger Martin from CNC Software

...does that blow out any chance of being able to add a text box/descriptor in the future?

First off, I myself do not know the details of any future plans on this. (Not really my area.)

But since it would be just an "extra" user entered descriptor that Mastercam itself does not pay any attention to.

(Kind of like a Level Set "name")

I'd think that fact of them being "locked" would not rule out any possibility of something in the future.

Posted by "Crazy mill man"

"Stays ups until closed not close on the esc key."

I wish this box would act like the "operations manager" or "Levels" boxes. It is an important part of my programming.I wear out my RMB constantly opening and closing it every day.

You should be able to open and dock this window until the session is ended. :angry: