Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Just thought I would share my recent usage of Iscar's fast feed mills. Simply put, they rock! Even made our Haas look good! I just used their 3fl 3/4 FF mill on a 4140 5 axis project, so not the most ridgid set up and was able to rough thru 2 parts taking about an hour and a half each at 600sfm .028 doc and .011fpt. The most impressive part is I feel we could still do a few more parts or push it harder. I may have, but this was our first go with this cutter in our new Lang vise, and I was only hanging on to .1 of stock so I didn't want to push my luck. Anyhow, just thought I would share for those needing a great roughing mill.

• Like 1

Eric,

i also use these tools on 5 axis, from the 16mm dia upto 100 dia, the 16 to 35 dia run at 300mtrs/min rpm, 0.8mm doc, and .7fpt, the 52 to 100 dia run at 225mtrs/min rpm and 1.5mm doc and around 2mm per tooth, tried seco, they were pretty good but did not touch the iscar tools, and Sandvik tool which literaly melted !

Running one of these right now on some 15-5 hog outs. Getting 12 parts per cutter, 8:08 per roughing pass. Ø1.270 3FLT, .05DOC, .03IPT taking about 3/4 deep total. The Haas is struggling to keep up, but it's getting me thru it cheaper than the pull out issues with had with solids last time we ran it.

Mic6, this is the best I can do for you, no video. :guitar:

Sweet, thanks!

I've got a couple short clips I can PM a link to for anyone interested. Can't risk putting parts on the web on some place like Youtube.

Love me some video

I have used the Iscar High Feed insertable mills a lot, however on one of my more recent projects I had to remove a LOT of material.. (about 650 lbs of stock per part in one operation) we started out with the Iscar FF FWX Mill in a 5 inch diameter.. and Kennametal wanted us to give their Kenfeed 2X a shot.. we tried the Kennametal KF2X 5 inch diameter with their KCPK30 inserts and it blew the Iscar out of the water.. the heavier edge prep on the Kennametal inserts was astounding ..

I don't know if given enough time to tweak cutting paramaters if Iscar might have been able to do better or not.. but we were won over by the durability and cost of the Kennametal inserts .. after the same amount of run time the Iscars were either catastrophically failing (very damned scary with a 5 inch cutter) or really close.. on the other hand .. the Kennametal inserts were barely worn.. we ended up going with the Kennametal inserts simply cause I couldn't handle the constant fear of having the Iscar inserts explode and launch a 800 pound part across the machine again..

We were cutting 300M (basically 4340) and FYI .. I love making noise and having the floor shake, but running a 5 inch diameter Feedmill 4 inches radial, .06 axial at 165IPM is just this side of pants wetting material..

• Like 1

I used one the other day. 3/8 dia Multi-master tip on a bar 6.5 inches long. could only take a .003" deep cut, but I was feeding at almost 80 IPM in 316 Stainless. Worked pretty good.

I use a FF tip on a multimaster as well. We have one part that has a .500" wide slot almost 8" deep in 316 SS; I use a .472" Multimaster feedmill at .015" and 270 IPM.

• Like 1

Don't tell that to Guitar. He'd let you know that you'd have to EDM that.

We looked at EDM when we started the project but the quotes we were getting weren't feasible with the limited run we had at the time. So I set to figuring it out. I won't lie, it took me quite a while of trying many different things before I came upon an idea that works. However, we've received the order several times since then and it works so well we wouldn't even think of changing the process.

We looked at EDM when we started the project but the quotes we were getting weren't feasible with the limited run we had at the time. So I set to figuring it out. I won't lie, it took me quite a while of trying many different things before I came upon an idea that works. However, we've received the order several times since then and it works so well we wouldn't even think of changing the process.

Yes sir that is what us more than one year types that know everything do. We work and figure out a way to make what we got work. Excellent!!