Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fires in So Cal

Rekd™

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got to work here in Ontario (near the

60/15 interchange). The fires are worse today cause the wind is blowing 30-40mph.

There's 300 homes gone and 2 dead so far.

They're saying this is an arson fire ( 2 teenage boys) frown.gif

That same wind is blowing the smoke out though.

Yesterday there was no wind and the smoke

was blacking out the sun. The ash was falling out of the sky so fast it was like being in a light

snow. There was a 1/4 inch of ash on my

patio in Anaheim this morning (30 miles from the fires)

They said on the news that the fires were threatening the high voltage power lines

coming over the mountains. They may have to shut the lines down.

That will be a millon people without power in the middle of a heat wave.

I wonder if thise kids had a clue what thier 5 seconds of stupidity would cause frown.gif

Rek'd: What can I do to help you? Charles Davis

Here is my post from about an hour ago FYI:

Sunday, 10:30 am PST

I have never seen anything like this. Fueled by 60MPH winds and over half a year without rain, massive wildfires are burning.

I walked to the top of the hill, can see for 20-30 miles from there, and 180 degrees of view is a wall of fire! Smoke is turning day into dusk. Flames leaping hundreds of feet in the air, and moving very fast.

These types of fires burn regularly in S. California, but I've never seen them come into the suburbs like this. Scripps Ranch is burning. San Diego Country Estates is burning. Miramar Air Station is threatened.

Several deaths, unknown number of structures burned. Mandatory evacuations all over.

No air tankers in sight; they must either be in LA or can't fly due to the smoke.

Fire now less than 5 miles away, but luckily the wind is pushing the wall of fire the other way. So far the home and business is safe.

--------------------

Charles Davis

San Diego CAD/CAM

Authorized Mastercam Distributor

Poway, California

Fire in SD caused by a hunter who set off a fire because he was lost. confused.gif

I assume he's not lost now! eek.gif

Now arguably the largest fire in SD history.

Latest:

Some Major freeways closed (15, 52, 163, 67)

Evacuations:

SD Country estates

Tierrasanta

Scripps Ranch

Kearny Mesa

[ 10-26-2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

quote:

Rek'd: What can I do to help you? Charles Davis

Thanks Charles.

It's not critical yet. Still about 5-10 miles away, but headed this way. Almost all packed up, just waiting for the word. Debating on moving the trailer out early, then coming back to wait 'til the last minute.

I'm about 4 rows of houses back from the base of the mountain here, so if/when I see it crest that mountain I'm a go! biggrin.gif

'Rekd teh I bet that hunter would feel a lot more at ease with that flare up his arse!

Matt been worried about you all morning. I know there is nothing I can do but if I can you shout out I come as quick as I can. I went ahead and stcoekd up on things we need and having my wife pregrant keeps me more alert. We weent through this in Florida few years ago and it was bad as it is out here. Cahrles I rmemeber seeing alot f othe place near your business and hope it coem through ok. I will also put out a hope that any and all effected by this coem out ok and hope the loss is kept to the minumin it can possible be.

Crazy Millman keeps doing is old indian rain dance and prayes for better weather and less winds.

The fires are making the news here in OZ.Good luck Rekd hope all is well.Each year in Australia we have large bush fires more times than not they are lit by kids.Australia is the dryiest continant in the world.Last year a large fire was started by kids and they were talking about making the parents repay the costs of fighting the fire this would have been thousands maybe even in the millions.Good luck to all hope those winds dye down.

cheers.gif

Thanks Iskandar and David.

Millman, we'll be heading west if we have to leave. Not sure where we're gonna go, I'll keep you in mind. TY!

Heard from my neighbor; her friend was evac'd from Valley Center, and she said the fire was heading more south than west right now. (Good for me)

'Rekd

[ 10-26-2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]

San Diego 2:51 PST

100,000 acres burned in less than one day. 10+ dead, perhaps hundreds of homes burned... number unknown.... very pricy 1M+ homes up in smoke...

Talked with two families this AM at market who had lost homes... no warning... left with clothes on back and dog.... suprisingly calm and circumspect...

Went to high spot to view and see if our house was at risk... good for now, but wind shifting... fingers crossed big time....

few firefighters in sight... no firefighting planes...totally overwhelmed.... where are our planes!!!!!

BTW: come fire, come quake, come power and water shortage, come crapy governor... this is still the best place in the world to live. I'm staying no matter what! Paradise has its price. biggrin.gif

[ 10-26-2003, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I's bad here folks. Real bad. A few hundred (yes a few hundred) homes burned in San Bernardino last night. You figure at 4.2 people per dwelling, that over 1200 people are now homeless. eek.gifeek.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif How sad that there are poeple out there dead or homeless because of two stinking teenagers. I hope they pin the deaths of the burn victims, and the firemen's injuries on them when they catch them. mad.gifmad.gif

This is bad folks as bad as I seen back in Florida when we had out firestrom a few years ago. The I am a good 40 miles from it and can smell the smoke and the sky look eary. Latest update says parts of Escondido are begign evacuted at this time. There is now 5 fires going on at this time. There had been an additonal 650 fire engine dispatched to the area. They are taking street cleaner and using them to fight the file.

Crazy Millman

Still holding on... Been watching flames all afternoon. 3 or 4 planes have been by in the last 1/2 hour making drops within a mile or 3 of my house, (bout time!!!)

Gonna be up all nite, but if the wind stays somewhat stable we'll be ok. (fingers crossed)

I've been on my roof for the last 2 hours watching in awe. Amazing.

'Rekd

Ok hope you got my number I took it off dont want everybody and their brother calling me. If not I can put it back for a little while. I hope you make it through this with everything intact.

I keep hoping for the best but this is bad as it was in Jacksonville area a few years ago and alot of homes were lost and just hope the help gets here that is needed to combat these fires.

Crazy Millman

Yes... it's bad, VERY bad....the worst by far that I or anyone I've know has ever seen before... The whole county is on fire (and these are BIG counties we have out here!)

Calling this a big fire is like calling the Grand Canyon a big ditch. You can't believe the scale of this disaster!

Imagine a raging WALL of fire, some 50+ miles long, moving VERY fast, VERY hot.... Flames are jumping hundreds of feet in the air. They look like tornados of fire, spooky. Smoke now rises 20,000 ft+, thick clouds that make the sun a dull orange ball. Brown, brown, red, orange, black, as far as you can see, ugly and beautiful at the same time.... Totally surreal...

The firestorm is creating it's own weather... winds 60+ MPH, choking smoke, dark, sounds like a huricane...

One ember flies a few miles and starts another raging fire... You think the fire is far away and then bang, you're running for your life with what you can grab on the way out the door....

Within minutes there's nothing but a foundation and a fireplace....

It's 4:30, night coming soon but close to the fire it's already dark due to the smoke... the wind will slow, but it will be hard to fight at night... tankers can't fly.. fire crews are exhausted. If you pray for anything, pray for them. Completely overwhelmed and frustrated, all they can to is put band-aids on a hemmorage... In reality, not much they can do with the limited resources and the scale of this baby...

I was close to the fire today, and the smoke is choking, burns the eyes, makes it hard to breathe... very difficult conditions, especially if you are doing such difficult manual labor. Those folks have to be totally exhausted by now...

No break in sight, we're in for days of hell....

I think San Diego needs a HUG!!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Local hotels, including upscale Hilton in La Jolla are opening doors at NO CHARGE for evacuated families (wow).

Breaking news: Firefigher on news says 200+ houses in Scripps Ranch alone (ie: one large neighborhood!) burned to ground, about 5 miles from our house and business. Very expensive homes, many 1M+

[ 10-26-2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]