Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fires in So Cal

Rekd™

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So that's over 500 homes between where I live and where Charles/ and Rekd live!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

SUch devastation.... frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif another fire started in Hemet (about an hour East of me). Man.....

My mother-in-law lives in the house I had before I moved to NC. The whole neighborhood/community I lived in is gone now. That is the SD Country Estates. I feel so helpless. That neighborhood had hundreds of homes in it.

Finley, I hope all is well. I have been trying to call your cell and got no answer. If you get this, how is Matt Z's place doing?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think I found a shot.

1Km Visible Animation

The most left plume is the fire in the Simi Valley area, the one apparently straddling a yellow line is what started in Rancho Cucamonga and stretches 50 miles! The SD fires are the furthest plumes south.

BTW, this link is pretty close to real time so you'll have to wait till 7:30am Pacific Time to see anything. The satellite is in geosync orbit.

[ 10-27-2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

Treavor Sorry to hear that. They are now askign that employers allow employees to stay home tommorrow and just a little idea how bad it is the fire near LA burned over 70,000 acres in the last week these fire haved claimed over 150,000 in one day. It is so bad they the Air Tankers cna not even take off to fly. Andthey are affriad they might crash into each otehr visiblity is so bad. It is said over 20,000 familes are out right now and they think tommorrows weather is suppose to be worst.

Crazy Millman

Glad your hanging in there Rekd. This something I see as crazy and pray it gets better. I hope the help gets here and whatever avaiable resourse come ot bear down. I also tip my hat to the Brave Firefighters they are at points now where they are without truck only one hose and trying to save it blocks at a time. I wish they would let average Joe's help them cause I would be gone in a heartbeat.

Charles Glad you are hanging in there also. I just wonder how many will aloow there workers off tommorrow like I know you will. I will be in there bright and early at 6:00am not liking it but such is life.

James I hope you are not in harms way also!!!

Crazy Millman

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

So far we're ok but I live in a hilly area and anything can happen.

The plane was probably some clown trying to get a "Better View" and couldn't see, or the engine got all gunked up with ash and crud.

[ 10-26-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

I've told my staff to stay home so to leave the freeways open for emergency equipment. I'll go into work if the road is open, since I don't get on the freeway. I'd encourage other company's in SD to make this a 3 day weekend.

I thought this was dying down, then went to the top of the hill about an hour ago. Bad news... this is very far from over.

So far in SD: 12 dead, 300+ homes burned, 120,000+acres burned. Fire so hot that the sap in trees are boiling and the trees are exploding! eek.gif

It may take a week to contain this according to my father-in-law, who used to manage fire fighting teams and is seldom wrong.

Everyone knows everyone who has lost a home or been displaced.

With Forward Looking Infrared, GPS coupled terrain maps, etc. (which even Gulfstream G5 business jets have on them), I can't see why these tankers can't fly at night and through smoke. How many million dollar homes need to burn before we spend a million on a plane that can save them?

I'll bet .25 Billion worth of homes burned in San Diego County alone today!

[ 10-26-2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Charles Davis ]

Jay he is a good man for doing that. Charles you be safe out there me I hope I am far enough away but if it starts heading in this direction we are gone no hesation. I hear now that the fires are picking up steam in direction that they thought were safe are now getting winds the oppsite way. It was 2 weeks back in florida before al the fires were out and it was flat land this is a whole lot worst cause you can cut good firebreaks like they can back in florida no rock to deal with there and they line up 5 bulldozer break it dow nand start back files here hard to do and it is freaking big really scary stuff for all those in volved directly and indirectly around here.

Crazy Millman

[ 10-26-2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Millman^Crazy ]