Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 2.0

BenK

ALL of my computers are set up in RAID1, even the server.  If a drive goes down it takes a few minutes to replace it.  Otherwise it takes a fully day by the time all is said and done...

Did you buy the computer like that, or did you have somebody put it together?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm newish...well a bit more than newish to this forum and Mastercam in general; I'm a bit of a hardware geek and have more money than common sense. So I built this PC to begin my Mastercam adventure.

I re-read the instructions for the Benchmark and I assume you're all referring to the Arc Filter Total tolerance set to .0001"; and the time it takes the PC to regenerate all the dirty operations... yes?

I made sure the Processor Affinity was set to all 16 Cores (8 Hyperthreaded), the CPU priority to real time and also the Quadro Cores to assist the CPU.

00:04:12.207

Having some trouble uploading the event log Event Log...hmmm

Core i7 5960x OC to 4.3GHz

32 GB Corsair DDR4 3333

PNY Quadro K4200

2x Samsung 850Pro 256GB RAID0

Mastercam X8 HLE

Win7 x64

Somebody punch me in the nose if I'm not doing this correctly. I really want an apples to apples comparison.

post-59523-0-61838700-1423961604_thumb.png

Here is my benchmark.

I7 5960X @ 4.4
Asus x99e-ws motherboard
32GB Corsair ddr4
Nvidia Quadro K5200
2X OCZ 480GB SSD's RAID 1
2X WD Red 3TB HDD's RAID 1
Corsair liquid cooler
Corsair 1050W PS
Coolermaster Cosmos 2 case

Time: 3:45

post-20840-0-97089100-1423979306_thumb.jpg

So many inconsistencies with this process....

1-Why is the file being uploaded not in the dirty state already? Just rebuild all ops at 0.005 then dirty all to 0.0001 and upload. Then the user only needs to hit rebuild and results will be consistent.

2-Why rely on someones interpretation of how long the rebuild takes? Or even why rely on someones ability to add the correct values from the event log? Just ask one of the dudes over in the post/chook/script forum to write a quick script to initiate the rebuild and time it. At the end it could call a message box with a time.

These would ensure accurate times based on machines, not other variables.

• Like 1

So many inconsistencies with this process....

1-Why is the file being uploaded not in the dirty state already? Just rebuild all ops at 0.005 then dirty all to 0.0001 and upload. Then the user only needs to hit rebuild and results will be consistent.

2-Why rely on someones interpretation of how long the rebuild takes? Or even why rely on someones ability to add the correct values from the event log? Just ask one of the dudes over in the post/chook/script forum to write a quick script to initiate the rebuild and time it. At the end it could call a message box with a time.

These would ensure accurate times based on machines, not other variables.

This is an updated version of a test that has been running longer than I have been a member here. Its simple and works for what we use it for. There is no interpretation issues, simply look at the picture showing the Mastercam Event Log times. I see no need for the format to change. If anything I would make the file tax the CPU even more because watching this one run I was sitting at 6-10% for the majority of the test.  

Here is my benchmark.

I7 5960X @ 4.4
Asus x99e-ws motherboard
32GB Corsair ddr4
Nvidia Quadro K5200
2X OCZ 480GB SSD's RAID 1
2X WD Red 3TB HDD's RAID 1
Corsair liquid cooler
Corsair 1050W PS
Coolermaster Cosmos 2 case

Time: 3:45

I'm running the same processor and motherboard you are running along with water cooling.  Where did you go to get info on overclocking?  Also, care to share your settings?

I used the 5-way optimization in the AI suite 3 provided with the Asus motherboard, it took care of everything. I have been watching videos and talking to some IT friends of mine for weeks about overclocking and honestly most of it has gone right over my head so the easy overclocking feature worked great for me.

Funny we have almost identical rigs BenK. I also use the ASUS 5 way Opt utility. About time a mfg made one that works. I'm too old to tinker with voltage and memory timings =P

I have the X99 Deluxe Mobo mounted on a HSPC Top Deck Tech Station. The cooler I'm using is a Noctua tower cooler. It's HUGE!

I reinstalled my OS today and got rid of all the crud I had running in the background to try the benchmark again. Changed the results a tad bit.

post-59523-0-51566200-1424066190_thumb.jpg

post-59523-0-96786300-1424066462_thumb.jpg

00:03:42.256

• Like 5

I used the 5-way optimization in the AI suite 3 provided with the Asus motherboard, it took care of everything. I have been watching videos and talking to some IT friends of mine for weeks about overclocking and honestly most of it has gone right over my head so the easy overclocking feature worked great for me.

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't even installed that utility...  I went ahead and ran the optimization and the CPU came out at 4.7 GHz for one computer and the other is at 4.2 GHz.  Funny thing is that the slower computer actually posted a better time by a few seconds than the faster one.  The faster CPU posted 3:52 which is about 30 seconds faster than before so I'm happy.

• Like 2

post-18715-0-39191400-1424471709_thumb.jpg

4 Minutes  16 seconds .. not too bad for a 3 year old computer. .

System Specs..
Mastercam X8

Asus Maximus V Extreme MB
i7 - 3770k  O/C to 4.2Ghz
32GB G.Skill 1600Mhz Ram
AMD FirePro W8000 w/4GB Video RAM
256 GB Vertex4 SSD
3TB Seagate 7200rpm
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit       

• 5 months later...

Thought I would run the benchmark and see how my system compares..

X8

Windows 7 Pro

Dell XPS 8500

INtel Core i7 - 3770 CPU @ 3.4 ghz

8gb RAM

64 Bit

AMD Radeon HD7570

5:40

It looks like i'm on the slow side. I see some systems are coming in at under 4 minutes.

I'm not that computer savvy.

Is it time to upgrade ? or update components ?

Which i7 CPU do you have?

8GB RAM looks small to me, but my work involves a lot of detailed stock models.  I use all 32GB of mine fairly often.  You might watch Task Manager while you run the benchmark and/or some of your work to see how much RAM you actually use.  Also, if you don't already have a SSD (Solid State Drive) do a search on the forum about them.  Many of us have found them to be a huge productivity boost.

• Like 1

3770 CPU

I'm using an i7-3770K, over three years old, and after doing a lot of research it looks like I wouldn't be able to get a much faster CPU unless I'm willing to spend over $1000 on just the CPU.  The 5930k would be a little step up for $570, slightly faster and with six cores instead of four, but its main advantage would be support for up to 64GB RAM.  I don't have the budget for that, plus a decent motherboard (~$200 to $300?) and $500 to $1500 of RAM (depending on performance and quality) to go with it right now.

If you upgraded to Skylake 6700k you should be about 30% faster Clock for Clock just an option

Yeah, that's almost $1000 for the CPU (plus needing the new mobo and DDR4 RAM) and it's still limited to 32GB RAM.  I do hit my 32GB RAM limit every now and then, and when I do I can either wait for several hours, try to find an alternate approach (which seldom helps), or skip portions of my stock model and verification procedure.

Yeah, that's almost $1000 for the CPU (plus needing the new mobo and DDR4 RAM) and it's still limited to 32GB RAM.  I do hit my 32GB RAM limit every now and then, and when I do I can either wait for several hours, try to find an alternate approach (which seldom helps), or skip portions of my stock model and verification procedure.

Noo.. about $300-$350 for that cpu.. this is a totally new socket 

16gb sticks X 4 is the max

Are we talking about the same chip?

Memory Specifications Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

It does say

Recommended Customer Price BOX : $350.00
TRAY: $339.00

but I can't find it in stock anywhere for less than $900.  One place offers about $350 but says Pre-order not in stock and looks pretty fly-by-night.

• 1 month later...