Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best tool life you have had cutting Ti?

oneyankfan1

I've had very good results with Destiny Raptor 3/6. I use Iscar's HEM Calculator for feeds and speeds (based on Destiny' "medium" cutting - as opposed to conservative or aggressive).

345SFM and feed depends on diameter of tool.

1" Tool @ 1.5" DOC @ 15% WOC = 2109 RPM and 99.2 IPM Feed.

Tool life will depend on many factors. Rigidity of the setup, quality of the tool holder, coolant concentration, interrupted cuts or not, etc...

Drop down to 10% Steopver and you're @ 2636RPM, 184.5 IPM. But this becomes a 33 HP cut.

Ive been cutting a lot of Ti Turbines lately, not easy to rough out in Ti as its mainly small gaps between the blades on the turbines, but the best cutters ive found for these have been Walter Titex cutters, (Great website + speed/Feed calculators) and Franken taper mills. (very expensive but seem to last for ever!) But I generally stick with Iscar and Walter.

• Like 1

I got 10 minutes with a paperclip!

really? I would not disclose anything I do with my company. That is how we are were we are

One of my customers wants me to quote a challenging Ti aeorspace part.  If I send you the CAD file can you look through similar parts you have done and send me the details (CAD file, tool speeds/ feeds, tool list, what you get for the parts $$$) of one you would consider to be the closest match?  Please be quick, I need to get the quote out Monday.   :thumbup:

• Like 1

One of my customers wants me to quote a challenging Ti aeorspace part.  If I send you the CAD file can you look through similar parts you have done and send me the details (CAD file, tool speeds/ feeds, tool list, what you get for the parts $$$) of one you would consider to be the closest match?  Please be quick, I need to get the quote out Monday.   :thumbup:

We just got a quote in for 150lb Ti blocks that lose a lot of weight.  We could use the same help.  haha.  They gave us the quote Mon and want it today.

How long does it take to rough about 120lbs of Ti?   :)

Does anyone have experience with Hanita's WaveCuts?

I can get got 2 hrs out of a supermill at 400sfm. over and over and over and over again.

When we run ti on our HMC we usually shoot for 120minutes of tool life. We can mostly hit that consistently with good chip management.  We vary parameters depending on the advantage we happen to be taking of chip thinning at the time. This is with some cheapo YG carbide endmills.

When we run ti on our HMC we usually shoot for 120minutes of tool life. We can mostly hit that consistently with good chip management.  We vary parameters depending on the advantage we happen to be taking of chip thinning at the time. This is with some cheapo YG carbide endmills.

We use a lot of YG's for stainless - great value for money