Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 Verify - Compare colors and .stl name (and a few other X8 gripes)

Thad

1. When using compare in verify, why do the hex values for the colors have 8 digits instead of 6?

2. Is there a particular reason why CNC Software went with a different color picker in verify than the standard MC color picker that is used throughout the rest of the software?

3. Do I really have to reselect the .stl file EVERY time I verify? Why doesn't it remember the previous .stl used? Say I program my roughing toolpaths, verify them, then get the machine running while I program the finish toolpaths. When I verify the finish, I have to re-pick the .stl to compare to again. C'mon, really?

4. I hate when I'm zipping along clicking here and there creating toolpaths and I attempt to click either Parameters or Geometry in the Ops manager and I accidentally click the tool instead. I now have to wait ~5 seconds for the "new and improved" tool manager to open, just I can close it and resume programing. Am I the only one annoyed by this?

5. Why does the verify icon look like it does? As long as there has been a verify option in MC, it has always verified selected operations, just like backplot. Upon hovering on those icons, they even say "Backplot selected operations" and "Verify selected operations." The new verify icon has made itself less identifiable by adding the visual representation of "selected operations." Why didn't you guys just keep it the way it was since we already know it only verifies selected operations? Now look at how different the backplot and verify icons look. How about some consistency? Every time I want to verify, the first thought that runs through my brain is "OK, where's the stupid icon at?"

post-2305-0-66718200-1424971994_thumb.png

post-2305-0-96695400-1424973042_thumb.png

post-2305-0-69294600-1424973664_thumb.png

• Like 1

I have been a little frustrated with a lot of the new toolbar icons.  Not just the verify button.  I feel like the toolbar icons in X7 and previous versions were a lot easier to identify than the new look in X8. 

I've stuck with X7 for this reason.  I can work faster in X7 because I know where everything is. 

• Like 1

1. When using compare in verify, why do the hex values for the colors have 8 digits instead of 6?

2. Is there a particular reason why CNC Software went with a different color picker in verify than the standard MC color picker that is used throughout the rest of the software?

3. Do I really have to reselect the .stl file EVERY time I verify? Why doesn't it remember the previous .stl used? Say I program my roughing toolpaths, verify them, then get the machine running while I program the finish toolpaths. When I verify the finish, I have to re-pick the .stl to compare to again. C'mon, really?

4. I hate when I'm zipping along clicking here and there creating toolpaths and I attempt to click either Parameters or Geometry in the Ops manager and I accidentally click the tool instead. I now have to wait ~5 seconds for the "new and improved" tool manager to open, just I can close it and resume programing. Am I the only one annoyed by this?

5. Why does the verify icon look like it does? As long as there has been a verify option in MC, it has always verified selected toolpaths, just like backplot. Upon hovering on those icons, they even say "Backplot selected operations" and "Verify selected operations." The new verify icon has made itself less identifiable by adding the visual representation of "selected operations." Why didn't you guys just keep it the way it was since we already know it only verifies selected operations? Now look at how different the backplot and verify icons look. How about some consistency? Every time I want to verify, the first thought that runs through my brain is "OK, where's the stupid icon at?"

Thad, your concerns are here to stay in X8.

Might want to install the public beta for X9 and see whats up.

I've attached two images, one from X6 verify compare and one from X8. Green is the "0 color." I have both set to a .001 tolerance and quality setting is at the max. Is this the quality that I should expect from X8 verify? I can understand a little bit of bleed through when showing a comparison but the female radii don't look so good. Is there another setting somewhere that I should be looking at to give me a clearer picture?

post-2305-0-33828600-1424978090_thumb.png

post-2305-0-28646600-1424978108_thumb.png

No, you are not... :thumbdown:  :realmad:  :wallbash:

• Like 1

pip,

I haven't had any problems with settings sticking when editing them through MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml located in C:\Users\username\Documents\my mcamx8. It's actually the only way I've done it. Open that file a text editor like Notepad. It's pretty self explanatory once you look at it.

Pretty cool...you can edit the .xml file to add more ranges for comparing. It's this section here:

<StockCompareColors>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.01</EndValue>
        <col>#FF0000</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.008</EndValue>
        <col>#100FF0</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.005</EndValue>
        <col>#800000</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.001</EndValue>
        <col>#FFFF00</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.001</EndValue>
        <col>#00FF00</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.005</EndValue>
        <col>#00C0C0</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.008</EndValue>
        <col>#800880</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>      
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.01</EndValue>
        <col>#0000FF</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>INF</EndValue>
        <col>#000080</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
    </StockCompareColors>

If you copy this section of code:

<StockCompareGridItem>
   <col>#FF0000</col>
</StockCompareGridItem>

...and change the value and color, it will add another range of color comparison.

• Like 1

pip,

I haven't had any problems with settings sticking when editing them through MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml located in C:\Users\username\Documents\my mcamx8. It's actually the only way I've done it. Open that file a text editor like Notepad. It's pretty self explanatory once you look at it.

pip,

It doesn't appear that the stock color settings are accessible through the .xml file. I was able to make the stock color change stick by using the "Save to defaults" button in the Home view.

I've seen multiple people from CNC Software view this topic. No one cares to comment?

Perhaps they are testing your statement in X9 (because there is not going to be any further development in X8 I believe) or looking at code before they care to comment? Or perhaps they don't want to get dragged into a public b***h fest for all the trolls to see, copy and paste. :yes: You KNOW they are here.

:coffee:

On the STL compare front... in my experience, .001" is about the tolerance limit. You can save the STL's with tighter tolerance than that but the meshes get massive in a hurry after that. That's not a Mastercam issue IMHO, that's a triangle mesh issue.

On the STL compare front... in my experience, .001" is about the tolerance limit. You can save the STL's with tighter tolerance than that but the meshes get massive in a hurry after that. That's not a Mastercam issue IMHO, that's a triangle mesh issue.

Both of my screen shots use a .001 tolerance, and I'm fine with that. The old verify looks nice, but the new verify...not so much.

I've attached two images, one from X6 verify compare and one from X8. Green is the "0 color." I have both set to a .001 tolerance and quality setting is at the max. Is this the quality that I should expect from X8 verify? I can understand a little bit of bleed through when showing a comparison but the female radii don't look so good. Is there another setting somewhere that I should be looking at to give me a clearer picture?

thad,in the x8 image do you have the show model icon pressed ? the one next to refresh icon?

Pretty cool...you can edit the .xml file to add more ranges for comparing. It's this section here:

<StockCompareColors>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <col>#FF0000</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.008</EndValue>
        <col>#100FF0</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.005</EndValue>
        <col>#800000</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>-0.001</EndValue>
        <col>#FFFF00</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.001</EndValue>
        <col>#00FF00</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.005</EndValue>
        <col>#00C0C0</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.008</EndValue>
        <col>#800880</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>      
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>0.01</EndValue>
        <col>#0000FF</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
      <StockCompareGridItem>
        <EndValue>INF</EndValue>
        <col>#000080</col>
      </StockCompareGridItem>
    </StockCompareColors>

If you copy this section of code:

<StockCompareGridItem>
   <col>#FF0000</col>
</StockCompareGridItem>

...and change the value and color, it will add another range of color comparison.

now that is cool!

The two methods I know of to increase the precision in verify are to set the simulation engine to 5 axis and to increase the precision factor in the MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml file.

post-45575-0-10776300-1425590656_thumb.jpg

post-45575-0-28749100-1425590663_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The two methods I know of to increase the precision in verify are to set the simulation engine to 5 axis and to increase the precision factor in the MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml file.

Thanks Ben! The 5-axis simulation engine did the trick. I already had the precision set to max. It takes quite a bit longer (4 times longer?) to verify this way though. Maybe I can bump down the precision a bit to gain some speed and find a happy medium between speed and display quality. :thumbsup: