Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

disapearing operations and geometry ??

Brian Scullion

Mastercam crashed with me when I was working with a file.

However when i restarted it up again and went toto open the file ,there was no geometry ,and no operations all that was left was the little image you view when you are looking thru files

Good job it was backed up last night otherwise I wold hve lost over 6 weeks on/off and 12 mb

of a program file.

Anyone ever have this happen to them ??

Windows xp pro ,

MC v9.1 sp2

1Gb ram

ge force 4 ti 128 mb

P4 2ghz.

HI

O'yeah, this hapeens alot!!

Alt-A at every change, but also get a program called GoBack. Available for Win 2000 and XP. It has SAVED me from tossing my PC across the shop at least 5 times that I can remember. MC never seems to crash on the easy stuff, only on the week long projects!!

GoBack RULES

John

You can configure autobackup settings in screen->config .

I always save to the different name like

c:mastercamrestorebackup.mc9 every 10 minutes .

And there exists a Vbscript for incremental backuping that I linked on my Mastercam to F12 button (very handy)! smile.gif

Use a search forum to find it .

Very cool !

Mayday!

quote:

first thing to learn in computing: SAVE YOUR FILE

with auto save what if you do a major boo boo,get distracted and forget. with out a backup type save you just overwrote your last good save

That`s why I always save to the different name .

In autosave settings save to the special directory and custom name .

And Vbscript makes the unique names and also configurable .

May day

programmed part : everything fine

reopened part 2 wks later to make small revision change : everything fine

made changes and saved part : every thing fine

sat back with a cheesy grin satisfied. Just thought i'd have a look at a different angle

mastercam crashes and overwrites file

maybe it was the cheesy grin.

1. do something significant.

2. save file

3. repeat

Like everybody else I learned this the hard way. Especially when MC used to crash alot on verify. I'd get done regening a big surface and before thinking hit the verify button. *crash* and lots of swear words.

Also get your tech department to set up incremental backups throughout the day. I have ours set up to backup any file changed in the last hour. Saved a lot of people's xxxx that way. biggrin.gif At most you lose about an hours work.

Bryan smile.gif

Brian,

Did you double check where you had saved the file, We have had Mastercam crash many times. I have never seen it mess up the file, unless it crashed during a save. I have had many of our operators claim this, only to find the file someplace different than where they thought it was.

Just thoughts.

Glenn.

P.S. You probably already did, but I was just hit with this same thing 5 min's ago. Found the file and everything was still good.

Brian !

quote:

programmed part : everything fine

reopened part 2 wks later to make small revision change : everything fine

made changes and saved part : every thing fine

sat back with a cheesy grin satisfied. Just thought i'd have a look at a different angle

mastercam crashes and overwrites file

I don`t want to hurt you but I don`t believe in wonders .

I would consider the possibility that it is autobackup that made autosave without notification and thus f@#$ed your part .

Press Alt-A and look at the options setted .

If you have autosave without notification to the same name as original you are in danger to loose your work more and more !

Always use autobackup configured to save to the different name .

I make autosaves and also save incremental savings of important stages of the big projects .

This gives me an option to make a step or two backward if I found mistake (keep in mind that Mastercam still has only one undo (not always possible ) ).

I also saved to the network

this is the only reason I still have a

job

It is backed up every night and this has saved my bacon

( although i must see if it can moniter changes every hr as suggested by bryan 314)

Autosave is not set to save without my consent

pretty suicical that.(but thank's for the suggestion anyway )

must go now as its 8:320pm here now

and i'm glad the day is over

the autosave feature in Mcam 9.1 can also be set to save after every toolpath operation. this is a nice feature especially when you consider that some toolpaths in mastercam can be generated in seconds.

even if you have autosave set to every ten minutes or so this feature will prompt you to save

after generating a toolpath. biggrin.gif

quote:

Iskander,

have you ever had a crash and save

sounds imposible to me to have a software crash and at the same time save a file. it gemerally takes longer to save when a crash is instant

You misunderstood what I mean .

But anyway :

Yes , bro !

I did it .

First of all I will tell how to do it

A very easy task , IMHO !

Mostly a crash is a local Mastercam crash ,especially in NT family system , Virtual machine , you know .

So you can easily do alt-contrl-del ,choose task manager ,choose file-new task and write explorer

You will have explorer shell window were you can save your actual file to some other name .

I did it a couple of times when I disengaged autobackup ( rather stupid)

Does it has a sense :

IMHO ,yes ,cause when you`ll get out of crash by force ,the probability that your original file will be ruined ,greater ,then copied .

But don`t expect to get the latest version of the file .

Iskander teh hack your own pc

Now listening Deep Purple 1998 Abandon album