Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Open file

Hertz

Hey guys, have X9 installed and so far so good. Problem is I want to open files from the server (dxf,iam,ipt, etc) and they were/are all defaulted to open with X8. When I double click the file, it opens with X8 but does not give me the option to use X9, even if I browse to X9 exe. I believe the problem is because the exe names are the same. This has been an ongoing issue for me as far back as i can remember. I had one year a co worker did something in the registry (I think he somehow deleted the association of those files with X8, allowing me to re select the new mcam exe) but typically it fixes itself when I uninstall the old version. Thing is I do not want to uninstall X8 just yet, so does anyone know how to fix this? Or better yet, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

You know you can drag and drop file the file into the graphics background and it will open?

You can also drag and drop on the icon for X9.

And if you hold the "ctrl" key when you drag and drop it will merge the files.

• Like 1

Yes Yes and No, lol.

But I couldn't double click from the server to default the file to open with X9.

Anyway, I figured it out. I just had to change the defaults in the registry to read from the X9 folder rather than the X8. 

I firmly believe its cause all exe's are the same with each version, rather than mastercam5.exe, mastercam6.exe and so on.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

Search mastercam. Keep searching till you find the associated file type you want, dwg, dxf, whatever. 

Example for dwg, the search "mastercam" will find dwg_auto_file\shell\open\command

I modified on the right, the key "default" and changed the X8 to X9. Then I did that for all associated files I wanted changed.

• Like 1

Why, is your file open broken?

If Mastercam is not open yet, I typically go to the database, double click the file. It's not about "working around the issue". The issue is still an issue whether its something simple or not. I just wanted to fix that particular issue. 

But its all good, as I got it figured out.

Yeah, this is a headache. I always have to go into the registry and change the default programs to open with the new mastercam.exe directory. They should change mastercam.exe to mastercam8.exe or mstercam9.exe or whatever and over write the old links. 

here's a cool trick that works with any file type Mastercam will open

in you Run Menu, type shell:sendto

a folder named SendTo will open

drop an X9 shortcut in it and close the folder

from file Explorer, right click an mcx9, step, X_B, DXF, or any other file X9 can open

Select X9 from the Send To submenu

this trick will work with just about any .exe file

• Like 3