Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Sim

MSL

Hi,

I'm trying to build a machine simulator for our new 5 Axis machine. How can I make the XML document? or is this something that should machine manufacture provide with their solid model?

Thank you.

The XML file is just a text document, that uses XML encoding to specify the data. I'd recommend just taking an existing XML file for one of the default machines, make a copy of it, and then modify the file to suit your needs.

You can find the "default" XML files for machine simulation in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx_\MachineSimulation\MachSim

That is the "root" folder for Machine Simulation. When you open the MachSim folder, you will find folders for each different default machine. Just copy one of those XML files and make your modifications.

By the way, you should download a copy of XML Notepad 2007. This is a free program from Microsoft for editing and working with XML files. It will use the tags in the XML file to apply formatting inside the text editor. It makes it much easier to work with XML files this way...

MSL I never work with the XML file. I take the sample machine or a machine close to what I am building and use it as the template to make the machine. Once you have built all of your components and name everything in the Machine save it and that will write the XML file for you. I have build many different machines and once you do it a couple times it becomes easier and easier.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

MSL I never work with the XML file. I take the sample machine or a machine close to what I am building and use it as the template to make the machine. Once you have built all of your components and name everything in the Machine save it and that will write the XML file for you. I have build many different machines and once you do it a couple times it becomes easier and easier.

Good luck.

Ron, how do I change the sample I'm using to the configuration I want? I've got this opened, but I can't figure out how to make the changes I want & how to exchange the stl files for my machie with those from the sample.

Also, how do I paste a image on here? png files are not allowed? what format do images have to be in?

Zeke

Ron, how do I change the sample I'm using to the configuration I want? I've got this opened, but I can't figure out how to make the changes I want & how to exchange the stl files for my machie with those from the sample.

Also, how do I paste a image on here? png files are not allowed? what format do images have to be in?

Zeke

Have to edit the machine. Then from there you can do what you need.

For the pictures use the More Reply Options. Can also use a photobucket or something like that.

• Like 1

I've done this and I still have an issue with the way the A axis responds in simulation! All the axes move correctly when manually moved in the simulation window (A+/-, C+/-, X,Y & Z +/-).

For the majority of the time we have our machines so the A axis indexes forwards (A-) towards the operator for ease of viewing, and only in exceptional circumstances do we use A+ as the operators view is obscured.

However, it seems on the simulation that the indexes go wherever they like!  Is this something that can be sorted? The program posts and runs as expected on the machine BTW.

Andy.

I've done this and I still have an issue with the way the A axis responds in simulation! All the axes move correctly when manually moved in the simulation window (A+/-, C+/-, X,Y & Z +/-).

For the majority of the time we have our machines so the A axis indexes forwards (A-) towards the operator for ease of viewing, and only in exceptional circumstances do we use A+ as the operators view is obscured.

However, it seems on the simulation that the indexes go wherever they like!  Is this something that can be sorted? The program posts and runs as expected on the machine BTW.

Andy.

This is one of the problems with this kind of verification. Because sometimes it´s not based on the same code the post is generating or machine specific settings are not taken into account, MachSim in CAM still have a long walk to walk.

Andy.

That can be tied together, but will need to get a hold of a post builder who has incorporated machine sim into the post. Even though it has been added to the Mastercam Software I am not aware of an off the shelf post supplied by CNC Software the Makers of Mastercam that supports it. You have to go to a 3rd Party Supplier to get a post that has this connected. That said there are still a lot of limitations to the Machine Sim. We have made quite a few for our customers and we always tell our customers it is a good tool for checking collisions, holder and tool clearances, part collisions and will the part fit into the machining envelope for milling. Does not support Mill/Turn unless that specific machine and control have been built and does not work on lathe. 

We have taken large fixtures or tombstones and incorporated them into a copy of that machine sim model. Then the customer only has to worry about their parts. The idea being they can color their tombstones or fixtures a different color and distinguish them between the stock and parts coming into machine sim. 

Here is one we did. A VMC with the 4th Axis on the Right side and it has adjustable Jaws for OD on the 4th Axis and has ID Jaws as well. The tail stock is adjustable and the Quill with the live center moves as well.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5gxzyb091sccvz/2_4AXGEN_VMCTA_4TH_RIGHT-SIDE.zip?dl=0

I once did the Master3DGage arm in the Machine simulation. Here it is if anyone wants to play with it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/9qbzatsdvh5q181/Master3DGage.zip?dl=0

HTH

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Here is one we did. A VMC with the 4th Axis on the Right side and it has adjustable Jaws for OD on the 4th Axis and has ID Jaws as well. The tail stock is adjustable and the Quill with the live center moves as well.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5gxzyb091sccvz/2_4AXGEN_VMCTA_4TH_RIGHT-SIDE.zip?dl=0

thanks Ron, I downloaded your 4-axis Vertical machine to start learning Machine Simulation, hey that looks like our part in the pic!