Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stupid question

S/X

Just a dumb question but one that has baffled me for some reason. Has anyone cut a piece of A2 steel (size for size), sent it out for heat treat,

have it come back, recut it to clean it up and cut it undersize? To answer a few questions mabey before their asked, I did pick my X0 Y0 up correctly, it was indicated correctly and the right cutter was used. It cut it 0.005" under. confused.gif

Robk

Yes my Z was picked up right, but i wasn.t to concerned about that as it is the X & Y axis area's that have been affected.

Mayday

No I didn't check it after heat treat.

Eric

I did double check my stock to leave and it was left at zero.

Jammer

It was a bit of a narrow block but nothing (I would have thought) that should have moved.

Surface:

I picked up an edge as I didn't have a toolig hole or dowel to locate off of. It cut the thicker part fine but at the thinner end it cut too much. Now I guess you could hold that as being from warping in the heat treat, but the way the part is, it's not likely. I do't want to boggle your minds with something to menial as this

I think for next time I might put a small toling pin in or leave extra stock on.

KCollins:

No I didn't put any cutter comp. on, I don't use that too much as our Fadal machine doesn't seem to agree with it very nicely

quote:

A2 generally will not change in size going thru H.T. very very little if any.

+1 A2 will only move .0001 per inch during HT.

It is one of the most stable materials there is.

Sounds to me like the heattreat guys bent it.

If they laid it down instead of hanging it to cool, it probably warped.

Murlin

Coxy When we use to make our parts out of A-2 we would leave .005 per side ofr finishing after HT. there are alot of people making Hard cutting tools out there. I woudl aslo use a CBN grinding wheel in our CNC Mills to finish bore and otehr critical features. If you need to do alot of this I would recommend a speed increaser to soemthing like 40000 rpms and woudl be suprised what types and quality of finishes you can get.

Crazy Millman