Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

fillet surface to surface

chris tobey

Nothing to worry about guys.

I meant no offense towards anyone and I think the same is true on your ends. I'm Ok with this thread because I was careful to set a neutral tone in my comments. I even highlighted my POV when I felt I did not express myself correctly.

FWIW, I think these discussions would be more productive if we all could refrain from trying to bash each other's solution, or spend much time trying to prove the obvious. I’m sure everybody is trying to do their best with what they have a their disposal, be it software or knowledge. Everyone here is a student, and there's no place for diminishing someone's toolbox or ideas, if you ask me.

Peace,

• Like 2

That is a different discussion all together. I never said it was the best or the end all of tools to do this job. I said I can get the job done and have experience in other areas that many don't that help me in certain ways to accomplish that task. Was not trying to make it into a NX verses Mastercam debate, but sick and tired of having NX shoved down everyone’s throat around here. Glad others like yourself have something else to use. People like myself and many others have Mastercam to use and are very glad and happy to use it day in and day out. The comments lately always seem to learn towards we are stupid for doing so (not from you), but from others like I or users of Mastercam are idiotic for using Mastercam to earn a living.

I have done the fringe type of work almost all of my life and have no problem trying crazy never before done things. Tools are just that and Mastercam is the tool I and many others on the emastercam forum use (Yes it is a Mastercam Forum). Sorry some have such a bad taste in their mouth using Mastercam, but really need to get over it. No one is my enemy and do my best to help anyone I can, but the constant negative beating on people has got to stop. We are all professionals in our fields. I am doing my very best to feed my family and help others feed their families.

Results may vary from person to person, but most of the time it does comes down to effort. Sorry, but to many times the effort it not there and it seems to be easier to blame the software. I have worked very hard always have probably always will. I don't give up without exploring every possible, way, method and/or concept I or anyone else can come up with to get a job done. That is my biggest issue is with all the bashing is I am no one special or different than anyone else. If I can figure things out sorry if I am dumb to think everybody else can. Mastercam is a tool and to openly discount it and think I am going to just agree with someone is not going to happen. I am not saying it is perfect and I am not saying it is better or worse than any other software. What I am saying is I have always been able to get the job done I have needed to using Mastercam. Does that mean I am the best or better than anyone else? No it sure does not, but it does mean I do my very best to do the best job possible. Sorry if I think anyone can work and do their job using the tool that is Mastercam, but again if I can do what I have done using Mastercam then I really think anyone can as well.

It was my job to educate as many people as I could what Verisurf is and what it can do. Because of those efforts many more people do know what it is and can do for their companies.

We were tying to help a Mastercam user with a Mastercam problem. People want to be funny okay great, but why does it always have to turn into bashing of Mastercam? Again sorry about how life has treated everyone that feels the need to rip on me and others for using it, but I do and if someone not part of the solution then IMHO they are part of the problem.

Again not directed personally at you Daniel as I have tons of respect for you and your proven abilities/effort.

Perhaps the reason people are shoving NX down your throat is because some people, who shall remain shameless, act as if MC has no equal and no fault. The pomp@ss attitude here is what needs to be corrected. I will not try to explain the MASSIVE benefits NX has over MC to someone who has never used both. However, I will jump on the anti-mastercam-is-so-f'in-awsome wagon whenever  the MC-can-do-no-wrong people pop up. I almost think these people are trying to get a free seat of MC by spending all day UNDER the MC desk. To me it is night and day the differences between MC and NX. Anyone who has used NX would never trick themselves into not believing it. Do I think MC is a good package? Sure, because there are so many worse (*cough* surfcam). And, I like the direction MC is headed. Not so long ago it seemed as if MC was headed nowhere. That has changed. As a previous poster stated, he thought MC was the best, until he tried something else.

So, for all of you people that think that the world ends at MC, I would strongly suggest you try the student versions of NX, Catia, Delcam and the like. Or, just watch all of the helpful videos on Youtube and see what they can do. If you are an MC pro you will immediately notice the benefits of knowing multiple softwares.

Perhaps the reason people are shoving NX down your throat is because some people, who shall remain shameless, act as if MC has no equal and no fault. The pomp@ss attitude here is what needs to be corrected. I will not try to explain the MASSIVE benefits NX has over MC to someone who has never used both.

I use them both, but i wouldnt say MASSIVE benefits vs MC

On the Cad side without a doubt, not even the same ballpark

There are many things that can be done so much quicker in Mastercam though on the Cam side

Looks like someone is just being a cheerleader for the other side

They are both great and have their pros and cons

PEACE :D

• Like 4

Perhaps the reason people are shoving NX down your throat is because some people, who shall remain shameless, act as if MC has no equal and no fault. The pomp@ss attitude here is what needs to be corrected. I will not try to explain the MASSIVE benefits NX has over MC to someone who has never used both. However, I will jump on the anti-mastercam-is-so-f'in-awsome wagon whenever  the MC-can-do-no-wrong people pop up. I almost think these people are trying to get a free seat of MC by spending all day UNDER the MC desk. To me it is night and day the differences between MC and NX. Anyone who has used NX would never trick themselves into not believing it. Do I think MC is a good package? Sure, because there are so many worse (*cough* surfcam). And, I like the direction MC is headed. Not so long ago it seemed as if MC was headed nowhere. That has changed. As a previous poster stated, he thought MC was the best, until he tried something else.

So, for all of you people that think that the world ends at MC, I would strongly suggest you try the student versions of NX, Catia, Delcam and the like. Or, just watch all of the helpful videos on Youtube and see what they can do. If you are an MC pro you will immediately notice the benefits of knowing multiple softwares.

You really have no clue and really hope you get it one day. A lot of us here like to help others get better at their craft plain and simple. NX is a great software no doubt, but Mastercam is a great software also. Like Hardmill said they both have their pros and cons.

• Like 1

THAT is the attitude to which I refer. That attitude is well known throughout the internet. Thank you for proving my point MC-can-do-no-wrong. That is what I love most about you.  :smoke:

That is not what I saying I am not saying Mastercam can do no wrong. You are wanting what I say to mean that because it fits your narrative.

Is any CAM software perfect can they do no wrong? I am no one special either and really do my best to stay humble and help others as best I can. What do you do to help other on this forum or in other forums?

That is not what I saying I am not saying Mastercam can do no wrong. You are wanting what I say to mean that because it fits your narrative.

Is any CAM software perfect can they do no wrong? I am no one special either and really do my best to stay humble and help others as best I can. What do you do to help other on this forum or in other forums?

Yes. Whenever I think about you the first word that comes into my head is humble.  LOL. Is any cam software perfect? NX is the closest you will find to fulfilling your dreams. Glad I got you to ask.  :fun:

OK, now that things have calmed down again I will answer the question. The reason you are seeing the video function differently is there was a different way X3 and previous handled surface fillets. In X4 thru X7? (I believe) you had the option to use X3 style fillet creation. I can no longer find that option in the config file and I don't have anything older than X8 loaded so I can't show a video detailing it. 

The way I see it you have four options. One, complain about it and call others names while bragging up a CAD software effectively showing how childish you are and doing nothing constructive in the process.Two learn the way the tool currently functions and simply use trim surface to surface to get the desired result. Three, us modern methods and draw the feature as a solid and use a much more powerful and faster tool in solid fillet. Or four, send an email to [email protected] asking them to add the feature back in. It is up to everyone to make the choice for themselves.

One final note, NX costs in the low five figure range just for the CAD portion, Mastercam is low four figures, I sure hope NX could do things better and more efficient in this area than a CAM software, otherwise what are you paying for? CAx software is a tool nothing more. Sure you can use a wrench as a hammer but it's not going to be as easy in the long run.

• Like 2

NX is the closest you will find to fulfilling your dreams. Glad I got you to ask.  :fun:

Well, it seems the folks in Plano really found a way to inspire you. I worked for a major NX user (+8K seats worldwide) and when our site, a smaller company bought by this large organization, had to go to market and research for a replacement for Creo/NC, there was tons of internal pressure on us to go NX - People from all over the world that never heard about us, trying to interfere. That´s how dirt biased decisions can be.

I resisted, did my homework, called all possible players that could drive our WFL MillTurns better than Creo/NC, and after one year of evaluations, NX wasn´t picked. That was my call and I choose something else, because for the work we were doing, NX was a Creo/NC with more icons, a few better stategies for the geometry of our parts, but for our product, it was Creo/NC on steroids. Most of constrains we had in Creo/NC NX CAM had too.

I didn´t want to tell management 3 years later that we were constrained again like we were with Creo/NC.

So it really depends on your product and your long term vision. NX is not the answer for all problems in the manufacturing world. There´s no such tool out there.

• Like 5

Well, it seems the folks in Plano really found a way to inspire you. I worked for a major NX user (+8K seats worldwide) and when our site, a smaller company bought by this large organization, had to go to market and research for a replacement for Creo/NC, there was tons of internal pressure on us to go NX - People from all over the world that never heard about us, trying to interfere. That´s how dirt biased decisions can be.

I resisted, did my homework, called all possible players that could drive our WFL MillTurns better than Creo/NC, and after one year of evaluations, NX wasn´t picked. That was my call and I choose something else, because for the work we were doing, NX was a Creo/NC with more icons, a few better stategies for the geometry of our parts, but for our product, it was Creo/NC on steroids. Most of constrains we had in Creo/NC NX CAM had too.

I didn´t want to tell management 3 years later that we were constrained again like we were with Creo/NC.

So it really depends on your product and your long term vision. NX is not the answer for all problems in the manufacturing world. There´s no such tool out there.

Good to know. Unfortunately, I have never used Creo. I have, however, worked in a shop that used both NX and MC. They started with MC, but brought in NX for their more complicated stuff that MC could not handle. I should give CREO a try if you think it is better.

Daniel...I am not a Fanboi.

Everyone knows the limitations of their software.  

I think that's the crux of the issue, in that only the very curious and accomplished users who regularly push the limits attain a thorough enough understanding of their chosen software to be able to diagnose and differentiate a software vs. user limitation. The only software I have ever used that was essentially limited only by the skill and imagination of the user was NCL, it was as good or bad as you had the capability to make it - if it couldn't do it, it was probably because you or your machine couldn't.

Like many on this forum, I have made a living with various CAD/CAM software, and all have their weaknesses, but  I must say that at this time I like the Mastercam product. As with any software when you decide to invest time, money and effort to become proficient you hope there exists at least an implied partnership with the software company in that they have a shared commitment at improving the product in at least the features that are most valuable to you as a user. In that respect I am good with where the product is and how it seems to be evolving.

Neither would I agree that there is a pervasive fanboy mentality on this forum, and in fact the level of the freely offered support by most on this forum is admirable and the knowledge of the Mastercam 'power users' is incredibly impressive and would favourably compare if measured against users of any CAM product, high end or other.

• Like 2