Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ramp Linearizing Helixes

ahaslam

So, I setup a basic countor using the ramp type contour, shut off linearize helixes  and setup my linking parameters. Then I spit out the code and, helixes are linearized. Okay, so I go back and look at my CD, helixes supported  in all planes, so that's good. I double check and make sure linearize is for sure shut off. That's good. Arc filtering is shut off as well. So I ask my co-worker about it and he tries the same post using ramp. His helixes come out fine. Ramping code looks great! So I try shutting down mastercam, delete my tool path and try again, re load the post. Still, I get 1000 lines of code. No G3 except for the lead in/lead out. What am I doing wrong?

Helix is supported is on in the control. Helix all planes is selected. The arc filtering on my co-workers computer is turned off Tolerance Distribution is at .001, line/arc is not checked, smoothing is not checked. He gets a good tool path. I do the same, I don't get a good tool path. As for the output 3D arcs, that's where it gets weird. I turn it on, then click okay and the path doesn't regen. So I manually regen. Nothing changes. Open up the arc filter dialog again and it's not checked. Did it three times. Every time you manually regen, it unchecks its self. also, contour geometry is based on a 2D plane. I x-form projected the path I wanted to use.

There is so much of this lately, not just the OP here...

a file, a z2g would be SO MUCH help....

This issue alone it could be any one of a dozen things and until someone sees it, we're all just throwing darts at a board....

General note to all posters who may read this...

Please, please, please include a z2g file so that we can help you.

Just to add to the fun I just tried a pocket with helix ramp in. Works great. So I went to the tool path type and switched the type to contour, used ramp and presto. Looks like a good ramp. output 3D is NOT checked. the only difference is the geometry has not been xformed.

Yeah, it is very handy. When you launch the "Simplify" function, there is a tolerance you can set on the Ribbon Bar for the command. Some splines are a little "loose", and won't convert unless you give them some tolerance. (Default is .0002 chordal tolerance, I've had to go to .003 before in some cases). The more tolerance you give it though, the "less accurate" the positional tolerances.

Sometimes, I'll resort to "slicing" the walls of a pocket, so that I get true lines and arcs, and then projecting the "slice chain" to the correct depth...

If the geometry is particularly bad, then I will "Create > Point > Segment" and enter a small tolerance. This creates physical points that lay on the spline itself. Then I can use "Create > Arc > 3 Points" to create the corner fillets, and then just create lines manually, using the Tangent option. It can be a pain, but it is sometimes the quickest method of generating "good" geometry from what you were given...