Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surfacing - is a 2 flute really the only true option?

MILLRUNNER

A friend of mine experienced in surfacing was telling me that 2 flute endmills are the only ones that really cut all the way down to the center. I was looking at some 3 and 4 flute ball endmills, and sure enough, I see the relief. Can a 3 or 4 flute be used in the rough surfacing (or any op for that matter) at all, and how do I know the limits for speeds and feeds because of the small section of flute that is essentially not cutting?

• Like 1

Your friend needs a different end mill vendor.  If you look at a 3-flute ball there is one flute that goes past center.  A 4-flute ball has two relieved and two meeting at center like a two flute.  That being said if you MUST spend a lot of cut time using the tip, as murlin said you will probably have more success with a two flute.

And yes basically you have zero SFM at the tip of a ball end mill so depending on material and rough or finish cut you may need to make adjustments to what you would otherwise do.

HTH

• Like 1

Everyone has their own style of machining...

For those who like to run mostly waterlines and horizontals, a 3 or 4 flute works just fine depending on the shape of your geometry.

I like to do a lot of scallop machining and most of the parts I do are complex with a lot of features so scallop does a lot of ramping down.

To keep the number of tools needed to a minimum, I will choose a tool that will work on all my tool paths.

Bull cutters are great for surfacing, especially in the up/down direction.  I've used 3" indexable cutters to surface a slope on a three axis setup, and I was able to get good finish with a pretty large stepover.  You're never cutting with the center and it acts like a noticeably larger ball.  The zero SFM at the center is why five axis programmers will tilt the tool when possible so as to never cut with the center; sometimes you can do it with four axis or even three axis setups too, if you have options on how to orient your part.

Mitsubishi have a 3 flute ball nose tools with all 3 flutes to center (some of the other Japanese manufacturers do too IIRC).

http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/application/files/2614/4643/8971/b059g.pdf

Most 3 flutes have 1 tooth to center and 2 that are relieved.

For 4 flutes they are generally 2 to center and 2 relived.

I asked Mitsubishi to consider making a 6 flute ball with 3 to center and 3 relieved (still waiting, haha).

I've used 3" indexable cutters to surface a slope on a three axis setup, and I was able to get good finish with a pretty large stepover.  You're never cutting with the center and it acts like a noticeably larger ball.

The zero SFM is only a problem with ball cutters.

For bull nose (and square) tools tilting the tool gives the effect of a much larger radius on the bottom of the tool.

This is called Sturtz milling or P-Milling.

Figure 13 in the image below shows it quite well.

While the image shows the tool being tilted if you machine a slope in a 3-axis setup then you are getting the same effect :)

imgf0002.png

I only use a ball nose if I have a feature that requires it, for surfacing I rather use a bull nose or even flat sometimes.  For roughing you're going to go a lot faster with a bull or flat, the ball nose hates to be buried, you're using a lot more surface area when you rough with a ball.

Ive never done any 5 axis(dream of mine...sigh...) but I've heard that if you must use a ball nose and have 5 axis you should tilt the cutter as to not use the tip.