Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 Axis Demo Part Help.

slyym

I'm programming this demo part for our company and wanted to get some advice to make sure I'm on the right track. There taking this and a few other things were making to an oil industry show here in Houston in the next month. There also wanting to take some video of this running so I need to make sure I do this the best and most impressive way possible. It will be run on a DMG DMF 260 with the B and C axis configuration. What do you think of what I have so far toolpath wise? I know I've seen some people talk about position the part then optirough it but I kinda thought the blades are a little to close together for that but IDK.   It will be made from aluminum and yea I know the blades weren't drawn correctly.

post-8885-0-06365900-1460030601_thumb.png

K01-380 REV A.Z2G

I would use area clearance between 4 of the blades with a selective window and part rotated where it gets the most stock......

Then just copy/rotate that tool path around...

then 85% of the material will be outa there and out of the way for the smaller cutters...

Just because you have to use 5-axis paths on your part does not mean all your paths must be 5-axis....

In fact trying to use all 5-axis tool paths is very inefficient...

• Like 3

You could unroll geometry and create 2D HST toolpath from the unrolled geometry then use Axis substitution to roll it back into a very nice toolpath.

Agree with Murlin too many think because they have a 5 Axis it must do everything 5 Axis, but in your case I would do a lot 5 Axis to showcase the machine. Trade shows are different than the real world and you job is to make the machine dance. Make it dance and do some crazy positioning moves. Have the tool follow the part index the table and keep it close. Kick the head over following a surface and you can even create tilt lines to make the tool move more than needed as you are finishing the hub surface. I would swarf cut the blades and then I would use one of the tricks we use to finish the root radius. Nice looking motion on the machine and make a very nice looking part. You could also engrave the company name along the top of the hub and dance the head using a lollipop tool.

Looks like fun and you got plenty of time to get something nice put together.

You could unroll geometry and create 2D HST toolpath from the unrolled geometry then use Axis substitution to roll it back into a very nice toolpath.

Agree with Murlin too many think because they have a 5 Axis it must do everything 5 Axis, but in your case I would do a lot 5 Axis to showcase the machine. Trade shows are different than the real world and you job is to make the machine dance. Make it dance and do some crazy positioning moves. Have the tool follow the part index the table and keep it close. Kick the head over following a surface and you can even create tilt lines to make the tool move more than needed as you are finishing the hub surface. I would swarf cut the blades and then I would use one of the tricks we use to finish the root radius. Nice looking motion on the machine and make a very nice looking part. You could also engrave the company name along the top of the hub and dance the head using a lollipop tool.

Looks like fun and you got plenty of time to get something nice put together.

I agree many think they need to do 5-axis tool paths when many times conventional methods are more efficient, In addition to that, many programmers still use kellering techniques with ball end mill and aren't utilizing the tilt angle formula to allow a flat cutter to cover larger areas on concaved/convex surfaces.

+1000 Forum Bonus Points to the first person that can give me the formula for calculating the tilt angle of a given cutter to produce a convex radius that is larger than the cutter??

Cheers!

Len Dye

Cheers!

Len Dye

Leonard Dye how the heck are you ??

Long time from our days @ Hartwell eh ??

Im going to PM my number so you can give me a call

PEACE :D

+1000 Forum Bonus Points to the first person that can give me the formula for calculating the tilt angle of a given cutter to produce a convex radius that is larger than the cutter??

The he||? who resurrected Euclid ^^^^ here?

I thought I could just right-click in a box and the menu would extract those numbers for me :question:

:laughing: