Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Aircraft Axis Models

smckay1058

as a general practice I leave it as is and create my work planes in place. this will save much time and poss. error if you get an updated model.

plug and play

So even if your machining 5 axis you would still create a new top and start

Would still like to learn the dynamic xform

Yes, this approach has even been written in stone at a few shops I have done work for. theory is the model is authority as is.

From what I've heard a number of aircraft manufacturers specify in their contracts that things will be done this way.

I know for a fact that one of them does.  I no longer do work for them but I used the equivalent of WCS in Esprit.

AMCNitro, Let me ask why would you want to move the model if you use Dynamic WCS then you can work on it in any view and in multi setups? Just in case the customer makes changes or asks for you to cheack a dim in there space. For me if something is going to be moved it is the fixtures ,Vise and toombstones and so on.

Just thoughts.

AMCNitro, Let me ask why would you want to move the model if you use Dynamic WCS then you can work on it in any view and in multi setups? Just in case the customer makes changes or asks for you to cheack a dim in there space. For me if something is going to be moved it is the fixtures ,Vise and toombstones and so on.

Just thoughts.

I rarely do, but sometimes Im just more comfortable doing it like that.  

I get lots of stp models on aircraft axis and it always takes me a bit of time drawing lines and working out angles to rotate so I can bring a part onto the top plane!

Is there a fast and easy way to orientate the model to the original Top plane?

Dynamic Xform can definitely do this as others have mentioned, if you want a more simplistic tool to rotate parts from one plane to another then you can use xform - translate 3d.

Typically this is easier to learn than the Dynamic Xform method but Dynamic xform can be quicker once you have a good understanding. 

to use transform 3d try this; setup a plane on your existing part in the orientation you would like to Manufacture the component, Select everything you want to rotate. Then simply go to xform --> translate3d --> and rotate From "the plane created" to "Top plane". if this doesn't make sense there are some youtube vids on translate 3d.

• Like 1

Not to get too far off topic, but what is the general consensus these days with Multi-Axis, and creating your top view vs moving the model to the system top view?  I leave the model till it doesn't work, and actually can't remember the last time it was an issue with multi axis toolpaths, just axis substitution.

I haven't had trouble with axis substitution but I rarely use it. Guess as a relatively new mcam user I didn't know better... I figured out wcs before I did dynamic transform and have used it all along. The only thing that irritated me is gone in 2017 and that is disabling the world lines when you hit F9.