Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining letters without engraving

danfec

Hi !

We do not have engraving and it's too expansive to buy it for the jobs we have to do... What's the best way to machine text without it. We are creating our letters ourself in autocad or we take existing text, scan it and.......... It takes a lot of time so it's hard to earn money out of it. Is there a way, cheaper than engraving option ?????

Thanks

Thank you very much ! You just save us a lot of money and created a lot of opportunities !!!

I went to your website and seen your a football fan. I'm a big football fan too....It's gonna be a hard one for the Eagles against the "hot" Packers this week end........Are you going to the game ? LUCKY MAN

quote:

It's gonna be a hard one for the Eagles against the "hot" Packers this week end........Are you going to the game ?

it will be but we have been up against the wall before and come out on top so we will have to see how hot they are and no im not going to this game this weekend.. im on my way up to smugglers notch vermont for some boarding where i just read the weather report mon...28

tues...0

wed...0

thurs...-9 thats right thats negitive 9

ouch thats cold !!!im going to go to the next playoff game though biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Danfec,

To take this one step further. The letters can be projected onto surfaces or wrapped around cylinders in lathe for some fancy engraving.

Are you from the Beauce? I may be making it to La Ville Du Quebec in the spring for a trip with my son's school class. I am looking forward to visiting there again.

Phil

Ezra.

I didn't realize we could project the toolpath as well. I always just projected the geometry then created toolpath. It is always a good day when I learn something new.

Danfec,

This is from the help menu.

Projecting curves onto surfaces and solids

1. Choose Main Menu, Create, Curve, Project.

2. Select one or more surfaces, solids, and/or solid faces, then choose Done.

3. Select one or more chains of curves to project, then choose Done.

4. Set parameters on the Projection Curve menu, then choose Do it to project the curves.

Note: Choose Options to access additional parameters.

5. If prompted, select a highlighted surface to trim. Move the base of the arrow to the side of the surface that you want to keep after trimming, then click.

6. Press [Esc] to exit the function.

good luck with it.

Phil (originally from Magog)

That's right...

Greg,

I forgot you're a Eagles fan.

I was fortunate enough to be at last weeks game...This weekend should be just as good.

Whoever goes to the big dance is going to have to earn it. I'm suprised at the spread...5.5 pts???

You know who I'm picking...It's gonna be good.

ScottyB. glued to the TV

cheers.gif

quote:

I didn't realize we could project the toolpath as well.

Yepper....that's the way I do it now.

Mastercam can do any TTF.

I have some cool Gothic and Elvish fonts also, some that resemble the JR Tolker fonts....

There are alot of TTF available for download floating around on the net......

You basiclly only need the engraving package if you want to do fancy 3-d looking letters and artwork from 2-d lines with a D cutter.

The engraving package will "pick" out the corners and make them nice and sharp when you use a dead sharp tool. It also gives you several styles you can do, all from using the same 2-d line. It's a pretty nifty add on...

Sometimes this is desirable when one wants to give the appearance of deep letters with sharp corners instead of leaving the dia or your tool in there.

Murlin

Sure Phil, they are on the computer down at the shop.

I'll get them tomarrow for you smile.gif

Let me make myself a note.....can't member anthing without those post its.... rolleyes.gif

I'm still having a lottle trouble with attachments and the msn hotmail account.

I tried to send an attachment the other day and couldn't get it to work. I think they want you to pay........But I'll give it another try....

Got a new ISP, but haven't set up my new e-mails with them yet.

BTW me and a freind of mine have made the "one ring"

Engraving on the inside and outside.

We are in the process of doing the "invisible writing" also.....it's so cool wink.gif

web page

Check it out....

Murlin teh slowpoke....

[ 01-09-2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Murlin ]

Instead of using note from drafting, you can use CREATE ==> NEXT MENU ==> LETTERS

You can choose your font. ie. BOX or STICK or ROMAN, etc. Then either use 2D CONTOUR or 2D POCKET.

If you need it on a irregular surface, then use TOOLPATH ==> SURFACE ==> FINISH ==> PROJECT and select the 2D toolpath from Operation Manager by selecting tab FINISH PROJECT PARAMETERS and select NCI, pick toolpath to project, (if you want to add the deapth of the 2D toolpath, just click the button).

One word of caution, sometimes the tool will stay "down" when going to the next letter. If this happens, go back to the parameter tab and select GAP SETTINGS. Under GAP SIZE use "distance" and make the number smaller that the distance to the next letter. This will force the tool back to the rapid plane.

This works great in cavities with irregular contours. cool.gif

quote:

You can also xform/roll the letters around a cylinder. This is a new trick I learned while searching this board.

You can do far more .

You can map (transfere ) letters to any developing surface accuratly (project is not accurate action ) ,And to the undeveloped surfaces like sphere too .

See examples in this thread

smile.gif